Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Tactical use of substitutes

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Since Fulham at home and Ignoring games where we experienced injuries or a sending off, these are the minutes when we made our first tactical substitution
71. 73. 73. 71. 68. 71. 63. 73
Are there any bookies out there that will take bets on subs times?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Since Fulham at home and Ignoring games where we experienced injuries or a sending off, these are the minutes when we made our first tactical substitution

I don't think they'd take the risk with us.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Just shows how adventurous CH has become given there never used to be any before the 75th minute

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Formulaic, predictable, re-active and easier to play against.....or......confidence in starting line-up/game-plan/players know they have 70 mins to prove themselves/players in hand for late push.

You choose.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

CJ will be along in a second to call you the worst fan ever for doubting Chris, never made a mistake, Hughton.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
The main problem is the subs are more often than not reactionary

Rather than us making a positive or tactical change, we wait until the opposition have made changes and then react to it. Problem is this often means we have either lost control of the game or we’ve conceded, either way means we are playing catch up.

Andone for Groß should have happened 10 mins at least before, he was looking tired and Murray had limited mobility and that change could have relieved the pressure which was building and put us on the front foot.

I’m not laying all of yesterday at CH because I believe the players showed a lack of desire in the 2nd half but I think Chris’s reluctance to twist first certainly hurts us.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The main problem is the subs are more often than not reactionary

Rather than us making a positive or tactical change, we wait until the opposition have made changes and then react to it. Problem is this often means we have either lost control of the game or we’ve conceded, either way means we are playing catch up.

Andone for Groß should have happened 10 mins at least before, he was looking tired and Murray had limited mobility and that change could have relieved the pressure which was building and put us on the front foot.

I’m not laying all of yesterday at CH because I believe the players showed a lack of desire in the 2nd half but I think Chris’s reluctance to twist first certainly hurts us.

Think I would have preferred seeing a half fit Glenn out there for 90 minutes, than a fully fit Jurgen to be honest.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just shows how adventurous CH has become given there never used to be any before the 75th minute

The problem yesterday wasn't the first substitution (though it may be that it would have been better to replace Izzy rather than Knocky, but that's neither here nor there) but the second two; if they'd been made in time the outcome might have been different. It would have been better to add fresh legs and a bit more speed to the attack before they scored rather than wait until they equalised.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Think I would have preferred seeing a half fit Glenn out there for 90 minutes, than a fully fit Jurgen to be honest.

Another blinkered fan refusing to accept what their own told them yesterday.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Both Andone and Locadia should have been on 60 minutes to give us the chance to take the game to Leicester and push them back to perhaps stop their attacking.

Have to disagree.

Without Stephens on the pitch Ryan was forced to kick long with Leicester closing down a lot of options. Murray is the best at holding the ball and often drawing fouls to get you further up the pitch. Problem yesterday was the ref didn't buy his falling over

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Have to disagree.

Without Stephens on the pitch Ryan was forced to kick long with Leicester closing down a lot of options. Murray is the best at holding the ball and often drawing fouls to get you further up the pitch. Problem yesterday was the ref didn't buy his falling over

Begging the question:-

'as it wasn't working why didn't CH fix it?'

Unless your answer is 'because the game wasn't 70 minutes old' I guess there's not much point in replying.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Begging the question:-

'as it wasn't working why didn't CH fix it?'

Unless your answer is 'because the game wasn't 70 minutes old' I guess there's not much point in replying.

You seem to have all the answers.

Perhaps it was because despite the fact Leicester were having more possession the defence was coping well and that Leicester hadn't threatened our goal. And in the end it took a penalty to threaten our goal

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I knew we weren't going for it when his first sub was to bring on a full back.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Yes, it's impressive how he's transformed so seamlessly from the attacking player We once had. I seem to remember him shooting on target some years back

I knew we weren't going for it when his first sub was to bring on a full back.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here