Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What is the long term project of the club ????

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Might have said the same thing after his first half season in Championship.

He was rescuing us from the disaster that was Hyypia and it wasn’t his team. He has had a number of years to build his team and impart his tactics on them. Last week and today suggest to me that he is currently coming up short. The next few games had better show an improvement in the quality of play or we could be in trouble. Worrying that pretty well none of the recruits since last January have made the desired impact.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
For the first 5 years Bloom has said simply surviving and establishing ourselves. I didn't think Leicester were much of a goal threat and actually with VAR we would've been 2 clear by half time and that could've seen a different second half.

I also think CH is unfairly knocked for his protection of newer recruits, he demands a lot from his players especially in a defensive capacity and hasn't had to throw many in to first team action before they are ready this season.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The thing I don’t understand is Hughton highlighted how poor we were and seemed powerless to do anything. Has he lost the dressing room? Players not up to it? Or are his tactics too confusing or limiting ?

Do you really think its worth asking that question?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Is it to just stay up each year and pocket the money ? Or try and build the club up the table ?? Like Bournemouth .
Chris will keep us up but will never and I mean never progress the club forward like Eddie Howe has .
Chris is to set in his ways to change his philosophy now .

To be the most boring team to every exist in the league

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
That master operator Eddie Howe's biggest (wage) signing in the last 2 years has been 36 year old Jermain Defoe. Goals for Bournemouth in 2 years - 4.

Is that the same Jermaine Defoe many on here were desperate for us to sign at the time and threw wobblers when we didn't?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Really, it’s not the Albion’s fault but the Premier Leagues. It’s just ridiculously dull for most clubs like us and for me knowing we can’t compete and by that I don’t mean win but score or even perhaps shoot I don’t care much for our new sound status. Let’s not forget it’s supposed to be entertainment. Sort of fallen out of love with football, it’s hype etc. Trust my eyes more than my ears!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
On another note, if you were Aaron Connolly, would you sign another contract for a manager who plays that way with the talent at his disposal on the pitch and the bench? Would you ****.

Except he did - just a few months ago

742ea2f843776e709fd2ae72b47b915a.jpg

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Think he is entitled one dud. 5 non home grown players out of 25, crowds of 13k, top half of Prem. Think we should how him and his club a bit of respect, however hard it grates.

Their crowds are irrelevant, with broadcasting income dwarfing matchday income and they are supported financially on the playing side by a billionaire.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Think he is entitled one dud. 5 non home grown players out of 25, crowds of 13k, top half of Prem. Think we should how him and his club a bit of respect, however hard it grates.

Agreed. And so does Hughton. Respect and patience. Howe has had plenty of time to progress and his fans and board have let him. In his 2nd season he was equally losing to relegation candidates and “struggling” early on. (15 points after 13.)

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Agreed. And so does Hughton. Respect and patience. Howe has had plenty of time to progress and his fans and board have let him. In his 2nd season he was equally losing to relegation candidates and “struggling” early on. (15 points after 13.)

But his team wasn't playing like they have lost their way like ours.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
But his team wasn't playing like they have lost their way like ours.

They’d lost poorly to Bad Boro and Sunderland sides, and were bottom at one point that (2nd) season. And They’ve gone on multiple runs in the last few years looking awful and playing awful. And have spent ££mm on players that haven’t worked out. Doesn’t take away what Howe has done - just puts stuff like today into perspective.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
They’d lost poorly to Bad Boro and Sunderland sides, and were bottom at one point that (2nd) season. And They’ve gone on multiple runs in the last few years looking awful and playing awful. And have spent ££mm on players that haven’t worked out. Doesn’t take away what Howe has done - just puts stuff like today into perspective.

You can sugar coat it as much as you want but the reality is, we have struggled way more than last season since the second game of this season, with no sign at present of this being turned around.

It is only a matter of time for this coming home to roost.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
You can sugar coat it as much as you want but the reality is, we have struggled way more than last season since the second game of this season, with no sign at present of this being turned around.

It is only a matter of time for this coming home to roost.

This thread was started by an OP making point that Eddie Howe was rather good and Hughton could never be in his league. Yet his record was about the same was Hughton at this point.

Of course fair enough if you think 15 points and 12th is not good enough etc
PS: we certainly did struggle last season.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
This thread was started by an OP making point that Eddie Howe was rather good and Hughton could never be in his league. Yet his record was about the same was Hughton at this point.

Of course fair enough if you think 15 points and 12th is not good enough etc
PS: we certainly did struggle last season.

Nothing to do with 15 points and 12th. Our level of performance since game 2 has not been good enough. End of.

We struggled at times last season, understandably because it was our first season. This season our level of performance has been far worst.If you can't admit that then you are not being genuine.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Nothing to do with 15 points and 12th. Our level of performance since game 2 has not been good enough. End of.

We struggled at times last season, understandably because it was our first season. This season our level of performance has been far worst.If you can't admit that then you are not being genuine.

I just think a) that we shouldn’t over react to some poor results and performances b) pretend that Eddie Howe didn’t also have plenty of likewise early on c) not forget that we’re 12th not 20th and winning 1-0 is a good performance in all sorts of ways. Not sure if that makes me genuine or not, but hey.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Is it to just stay up each year and pocket the money ? Or try and build the club up the table ?? Like Bournemouth .
Chris will keep us up but will never and I mean never progress the club forward like Eddie Howe has .
Chris is to set in his ways to change his philosophy now .
Back to the original question. I think the plan is to build the club up the table. This is going pretty well so far if you ask me. Clearly Hughton can do this the question is do we have the patience to allow him to do it his way.

While watching the game this morning I noticed that my joy at scoring was quickly followed by the dread of assuming we were now going to try and defend that lead. The game was frustrating no doubt and I do wish that Chris would be a bit more attacking when we go one up but I am holding faith. This is a ridiculously difficult league full of quality and I don't think we can match most of the league gong toe to toe.

Hughton feels the need to play this way and as frustrating as it is I am happy with this management and believe he knows what he is doing.

The lower leagues is littered with teams who wanted to be more expensive in the Premier League. From Charlton years ago to Stoke last season. Hughton is slow and steady and I will take that.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here