Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Met Police and Scooter tactics.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
What do people think Police officers should do if the bike thief isn't wearing a helmet?

I could be wrong but doesn't the law state that Police aren't allowed to chase riders who aren't wearing helmets? In London most of the bike thieves remove the helmet when being chased thanks to knowing this law.

That is just a myth.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
These scooter thieves are on the rise. Only last week a deliveroo driver was kicked off her scooter at the lights and had her scooter stolen in brighton. Cowards.

But I don't agree with giving Police officers the power to potentially kill someone over a bloody moped. There's some right scumbags who choose to become Police officers simply for the power they're given. Tell a psychopath to hit someone and they'll massacre them.

How long before a police officer drives into the wrong scooter (mistaken identity) and kills an innocent rider? I'll give it 3 months

They are not randomly knocking people off, its only with known intelligence on the rider and only after they have failed to stop of there own accord do the police employ these tactics.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
That is just a myth.

I watched a police programme where this happened. The rider on the back of the bike removed his helmet and the police car had to stop the chase. The police officer even mentioned how the thieves are aware of this law and use it to their advantage.

I highly doubt the police officer was speaking in mythical contexts

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
They are not randomly knocking people off, its only with known intelligence on the rider and only after they have failed to stop of there own accord do the police employ these tactics.

Why not just just arrest them before they manage to drive off with the bike if the police already have known intelligence of the thief?

I highly doubt the Police have 'intelligence' on these thieves. It's more than likely that all they know is the make of the scooter and possibly the thieves clothing. Then the chase begins. I bet the police love it.

The better solution would be to get more police officers trained to ride scooters/motorbikes so they can follow the thief until the the petrol of the stolen bike runs out. No one gets killed and the stolen scooter doesn't get damaged/written off. Everyones happy.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I watched a police programme where this happened. The rider on the back of the bike removed his helmet and the police car had to stop the chase. The police officer even mentioned how the thieves are aware of this law and use it to their advantage.

https://www.visordown.com/news/general/police-get-new-standards-fight-against-moped-thugs

Although it’s not strictly true that cops can’t chase riders without lids, under the current law police will call off pursuits in some circumstances for fear of being prosecuted themselves if the chase ends in a crash. And in many instances chasing a helmetless rider just puts the risk level too high.

It’s because, at the moment, a police driver who’s involved in a chase faces exactly the legal tests as any member of the public to decide whether his driving is careless or dangerous.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
47077547_1891440214307903_9037293579482955776_n.jpg

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
What do people think Police officers should do if the bike thief isn't wearing a helmet?

I could be wrong but doesn't the law state that Police aren't allowed to chase riders who aren't wearing helmets? In London most of the bike thieves remove the helmet when being chased thanks to knowing this law.

That was the case previously but they now chase thieves irrespective of whether they are wearing a helmet or not in London.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Precisely, so I'd give the Police protection to bring down the criminal, regardless. Otherwise we might as well surrender to mob rule. As long as the blues and twos are flashing these criminals know they should surrender. If they don't then do so, well, its fair game they're taken into custody whatever it takes. I don't care if they're under 18 or even 16. Wanna play the big man, well, expect to be treated like. You can't pretend to be a gangster one minute and next be asking for your mum and or youth officer to protect you. British public is sick of these scum. We want them off our streets and that's the objective, not the criminals rights if they get hurt in the process. Majority of people don't give a monkeys about that, including me!

I agree with you totally but it won't be long before the family or families of those injured in this practice take their case to the IPCC as the Hicks family did.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Its not law,there is no law driving the decision. it is about guidelines and the support the officers get ( or dont get) when making a dynamic risk assessment of this nature.
The goalposts have moved and officers now feel more confident they will receive backing when making stops of this nature.

About time too, take these frackers out, they are a waste of space.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But I don't agree with giving Police officers the power to potentially kill someone over a bloody moped.
but when these crimes are committed there's always the potential for people to die, maybe pedestrians in the way of an escaping thief. If the police knock these criminals off, and a very small percentage die, overall the number of lives lost is probably down, due to the reduction in crime.

There's some right scumbags who choose to become Police officers simply for the power they're given. Tell a psychopath to hit someone and they'll massacre them.
Well yes, that's a fair point. Perhaps it's a license only given to the most sensible officers.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/cri...e-criticises-met-s-moped-tactic-a4001976.html

Police have hit back at shadow home secretary Diane Abbott after she criticised the Met’s new controversial tactic of ramming fleeing moped gangs.

The Labour MP for Hackney North and Stoke Newington blasted police for the new tactic saying officers are "not above the law" and that "knocking people off bikes is potentially very dangerous".

But Camden police officers hit back, saying that someone who is responsible for law-making should realise that using tactical contact to terminate dangerous pursuits was "entirely within our lawful power".

The Hackney MP tweeted on Tuesday: “Knocking people off bikes is potentially very dangerous. It shouldn’t be legal for anyone.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Not sure it's enough to be honest, I'm waiting for all the police vehicles to have done of these mounted.

sherman-V-crab-tank.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here