Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Sri Lanka vs England - Third Test

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Wot no thread yet ?

England toddling along OK at 187-3, YJB 79* Stokes 30*, but plenty of appealing going on. Sri Lanka have wasted their reviews and already regretting it. Looks like another spinners wicket.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I will watch at the club later on big screen, the girlies did well earlier today to knock out the tournament favorites.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I see after the one innings of any substance early on in this series, Jennings has quickly settled back into mediocrity - just the 13 runs today then.

He averages under 28 in test matches (27 innings). If you took away his top two and bottom two scores to get an idea of the level of consistency, his average excluding those four outliers plummets to just 19 runs! He's a test match opener FFS.

Is he seriously one of the two best openers we've got, now that Cook has retired?

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Apparently this is the first test in 13 years England have played without either of Cook or Anderson playing. Remarkable.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Jonny Bairstow 100* (165 balls, 8 fours, 1 six) :clap:

His 6th Test century.

England 231-3 (64.1 overs)

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Gone

JM Bairstow b Sandakan 110 (186b 9x4 1x6) SR: 59.13

Eng 254/5

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I see after the one innings of any substance early on in this series, Jennings has quickly settled back into mediocrity - just the 13 runs today then.

He averages under 28 in test matches (27 innings). If you took away his top two and bottom two scores to get an idea of the level of consistency, his average excluding those four outliers plummets to just 19 runs! He's a test match opener FFS.

Is he seriously one of the two best openers we've got, now that Cook has retired?
TBF you can't do that to a bloke...!!! Batters, especially ones like him, get many more low scores and only a few high ones... given sufficient innings then batting average is the fairest representation without any manipulation.

27 is not a good average for a modern day Test opener.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
TBF you can't do that to a bloke...!!! Batters, especially ones like him, get many more low scores and only a few high ones... given sufficient innings then batting average is the fairest representation without any manipulation.

27 is not a good average for a modern day Test opener.

I've picked another England batsman at random: Jos Buttler:

Runs: 1474
Innings: 47
Average: 36.85

Removing the outliers and averaging the middle 85% of his test innings
Runs: 1474
Average: 36.85

Runs: 1114
Average: 33.76

His average goes down by 13% because his average isn't beefed up by many big innings. Jennings has played one innings of 146* and one of 108, and nothing else of any consequence.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Are they going to get to 300?

300 plus will be a good score on this as Sri Lanka will have to bat last on a very difficult pitch

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Well, he is perhaps in last chance saloon, and with England trying so many other opening options, perhaps they do feel Jennings is worth an extended chance.

Okay, take previous years out of it, this series he is England's second highest scorer with 232 and is averaging 58. He has outscored Sri Lanka's top scoring batsman by 20 runs.

If we've stuck with him this long and put him in for this series, then I think you have to stick with him given he has statistically at least, had a good series.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here