Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] North Sentinel Island & An American Idiot

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Dear God Botherer,

He is an idiot because he thought he knew better than everyone else and wanted to go and inflict his beliefs on people who have repeatedly made clear they do not want to be contacted. Being religious and having faith is not a problem. Believing that your truth is superior to everyone else's is.

While at the same time potentially exposing the entire population to diseases and bugs that they have no immunity to, and the risk of illness and death. Luckily he took them a football - ffs!

He broke the law, he bribed others to break the law, he exposed an entire population to disease, he imposed his own distorted views to innocent people - patronising, stupid idiot!

Apparently his family have "forgiven" his killers :facepalm::facepalm:they should be apologising to them for the intrusion and exposure.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Unfortunately, I'm not sure anyone who has replied to this thread has either read the article fully or has an understanding of the Christianity of the Bible.

a) Why is he an idiot? His diary entries clearly illustrate that he was 100% aware of the risks of going to the island. Have we called astronauts idiots because the risk of a rocket blowing up en route to space is fairly high? Neither Chau nor his family are blaming anyone. The family clearly hold no malice to the islanders, in keeping with their son's wishes, and are working to free those who helped his son reach the island.

b) The New Testament after Jesus' life is full of accounts of his followers enduring persecution for trying to tell people about Jesus' resurrection. Rather than being simply content to "not impose his views on anyone" and live a cushy western life, Chau actually had the conviction of his beliefs to risk his life to bring what he believes is eternal life to others. It was his life to risk and at least he died for a cause he believed was worthy, whether you agree with it or not. Many who laugh at Chau for being an idiot will be currently drinking, smoking or eating their way to an early grave despite every warning under the sun being given to them. History may have a very different view on who the "idiots" were.

Why are his/your beliefs right and this tribe's wrong? If you were born in this tribe, would you still believe what you believe?

Just leave people alone FFS, trying to push your beliefs on other people is just so bloody arrogant. I'm sure they've got their own fictional magic man in the sky, they don't need to use yours.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Presumably, as trade will not be affected, Donald will invade?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What he did was clearly the wrong thing to do - less about the arrogant pushing of Christianity, more because of the diseases he exposed these people to - totally unacceptable. But forgive me for not joining in with the clamour to round on the dead American. He might well have been a very decent human being, who was misguided on this one occasion. It's just a sad story really.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Unfortunately, I'm not sure anyone who has replied to this thread has either read the article fully or has an understanding of the Christianity of the Bible.

a) Why is he an idiot? His diary entries clearly illustrate that he was 100% aware of the risks of going to the island. Have we called astronauts idiots because the risk of a rocket blowing up en route to space is fairly high? Neither Chau nor his family are blaming anyone. The family clearly hold no malice to the islanders, in keeping with their son's wishes, and are working to free those who helped his son reach the island.

b) The New Testament after Jesus' life is full of accounts of his followers enduring persecution for trying to tell people about Jesus' resurrection. Rather than being simply content to "not impose his views on anyone" and live a cushy western life, Chau actually had the conviction of his beliefs to risk his life to bring what he believes is eternal life to others. It was his life to risk and at least he died for a cause he believed was worthy, whether you agree with it or not. Many who laugh at Chau for being an idiot will be currently drinking, smoking or eating their way to an early grave despite every warning under the sun being given to them. History may have a very different view on who the "idiots" were.

Its clear History will tell us he is an iditot, I might be drinking myself to a slow grave, he got killed in less than a couple of hours. If I was going to do that, I reckon I could go a bender for a good couple of days before being killed by my own stupidity.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Systematic indoctrination killed this guy. His parents may forgive the tribe but I wonder if they'll forgive themselves for brainwashing him into this way of life and no doubt praising his work as a "missionary".

Oh well.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
What he did was clearly the wrong thing to do - less about the arrogant pushing of Christianity, more because of the diseases he exposed these people to - totally unacceptable. But forgive me for not joining in with the clamour to round on the dead American. He might well have been a very decent human being, who was misguided on this one occasion. It's just a sad story really.

Agreed. Although I'm not sure you can say he was just misguided on this one occasion, it's not like he suddenly thought I'll pop over there and have a chat with them, he'd been trying for years and knew exactly what he was doing. It's amazing how he thought this was a good idea, religion is such a strange thing the way it makes people think like this.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea

Religious extremists (you) radicalise young male and deploy him on suicide mission to spread the ‘good’ word.

Ring any bells?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Agreed. Although I'm not sure you can say he was just misguided on this one occasion, it's not like he suddenly thought I'll pop over there and have a chat with them, he'd been trying for years and knew exactly what he was doing. It's amazing how he thought this was a good idea, religion is such a strange thing the way it makes people think like this.

The whole project was misguided and that's the "one occasion" I'm referring to. But we are in agreement here, why would anyone ever try doing that? He's American, a country that voted a bigoted, narcissistic, sexist, ignorant, borderline-racist into power. It seems to me he'd be better off educating some of his own people about what is right and wrong, and of the consequences of some of the worst excesses of capitalism.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
The whole project was misguided and that's the "one occasion" I'm referring to. But we are in agreement here, why would anyone ever try doing that? He's American, a country that voted a bigoted, narcissistic, sexist, ignorant, borderline-racist into power. It seems to me he'd be better off educating some of his own people about what is right and wrong, and of the consequences of some of the worst excesses of capitalism.

No idea mate. Humans are weird.

There's definitely scope for an excellent reality TV show using this island though. So many possibilities.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

So you think it was OK for him to potentially wipe out the whole population by infecting them with diseases against which they have no immunity?

Religious nutters like him should keep their beliefs to themselves.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
So you think it was OK for him to potentially wipe out the whole population by infecting them with diseases against which they have no immunity?

Religious nutters like him should keep their beliefs to themselves.

Of course, they are savages who need converting to the good and holy ways of American life.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Of course, they are savages who need converting to the good and holy ways of American life.

Exactly. Civilise them, take away their bows and arrows...... and sell them guns.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
For me, this guy was courting the media and worshiping at the cult of celebrity - nothing more, nothing less. Sure he was undoubtedly a devout Christian, but one who seemingly wanted recognition from the world for being the one to bring the word of God to these 'heathen peoples.'

Another pathetic attempt, by a nobody, to achieve notoriety via the media covering his exploits. Dressing it up as a simple religious crusade is laughable. He was another social media junkie, albeit a devout Christian one.

He could doubtless see, TV, book deals - heck, even a movie franchise... pathetic.

For me, this is a sad indictment of the world we have created, what have we done it for?

I'm with the majority here, and condemn his actions as a ploy to become some kind of latter day saint - dressed up as a 'good guy' trying to bring the word of God to a deliberately isolated peoples.

Just leave them alone. Sadly his actions have drawn attention to this tribe, who will now doubtless be plagued by other nobodies desperate for notoriety... sigh.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Sadly his actions have drawn attention to this tribe, who will now doubtless be plagued by other nobodies desperate for notoriety... sigh.

See below

There's definitely scope for an excellent reality TV show using this island though. So many possibilities.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here