Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Fantastic Beasts - The Crimes of Grindelwald

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Love Potter, books and films. Not a fan of prequels though, so I'll give Fantastic Beasts (is it a series of five? - strewth!) a miss. Read the Accursed Child, but don't enjoy reading it in script for a play format. Tried re-reading it, got half way and gave up - if she'd put it out as a proper novel I'd probably enjoy it.

I read the script transcript, and thought it very contrived.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
May as well put this here as it's just reminded me and it really needs sharing (for me at least as I'm still a bit "Bishop Brennan after Ted kicked him up the arse").

The other week I took my son to South Yorkshire winter cricket nets which are done at a nice sports complex owned by Hallam university. Seeing as the Cardiff game was about to kick off, I dropped him off at the hall with his mates, legged it over to the upstairs cafe and got them to change the channel from VH1 CHRISTMAS HITS to Sky Sports.

The cafe overlooks cricket, football and rugby pitches with balconies on either side and as I settled down to watch the match with a sandwich and a cup of tea, I noticed what looked like a hockey match going on outside.

I didn't pay much attention as I was watching the game but it did look a bit odd and it was only when another couple of cricket dads joined me for the football that someone pointed out that they weren't playing hockey.

There were "goals" but they were circular hoops hung up from posts and what I'd thought were hockey sticks were bits of wood that the players were holding between their legs as they ran around.

"**** me" one of the blokes said "it's quidditch!".

At half time we took a closer look. None of us could work out what the hell was going on but my word it was funny.

It was some sort of university tournament and over about 10 pitches there were hundreds of the geekiest geeks I've ever seen, running around with sticks between their legs, throwing balls at each other, at hoops, at the ground, with referees seemingly controlling things.

There were four or five balls on the pitch and one fat lass seemed to just have the job of luzzing a ball at other people's heads.

At one point a big lad in a yellow shirt (looked a bit like Stockdale) ran on and started throwing other nerds on the floor as they tried to grab a flag from his shorts.

"What the actual **** is going on?!" was the gist of the conversation.

We were actually crying with laughter at this point but then calmed it down as we noticed that the cafe was filling up with participants who had finished their "matches" and we didn't want to seem like twats.

Not being harsh but these were ALL the type of people that you would have avoided being friends with at school. At all costs.

I've never seen anything like it.

I went to pick my son up and we went back to the cafe to watch the end of the game and get him some lunch. It even lightened the shite result as after the final whistle we went out on the balcony to see the next round of gimpery.

After five minutes the nipper was getting cold so I said "we can watch it from inside while you finish your chips if you like?" he said "it's ok dad, I've seen enough" and burst out laughing.

To each their own but **** me. I never knew this was a thing and I sort of wish I didn't now.

Post of the week. :bowdown::lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I adore HP, have read all the books and seen the films the day they came out. Mark Kermode seemed to like it. But after reading some of the comments here......hmmm.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
May as well put this here as it's just reminded me and it really needs sharing (for me at least as I'm still a bit "Bishop Brennan after Ted kicked him up the arse").

The other week I took my son to South Yorkshire winter cricket nets which are done at a nice sports complex owned by Hallam university. Seeing as the Cardiff game was about to kick off, I dropped him off at the hall with his mates, legged it over to the upstairs cafe and got them to change the channel from VH1 CHRISTMAS HITS to Sky Sports.

The cafe overlooks cricket, football and rugby pitches with balconies on either side and as I settled down to watch the match with a sandwich and a cup of tea, I noticed what looked like a hockey match going on outside.

I didn't pay much attention as I was watching the game but it did look a bit odd and it was only when another couple of cricket dads joined me for the football that someone pointed out that they weren't playing hockey.

There were "goals" but they were circular hoops hung up from posts and what I'd thought were hockey sticks were bits of wood that the players were holding between their legs as they ran around.

"**** me" one of the blokes said "it's quidditch!".

At half time we took a closer look. None of us could work out what the hell was going on but my word it was funny.

It was some sort of university tournament and over about 10 pitches there were hundreds of the geekiest geeks I've ever seen, running around with sticks between their legs, throwing balls at each other, at hoops, at the ground, with referees seemingly controlling things.

There were four or five balls on the pitch and one fat lass seemed to just have the job of luzzing a ball at other people's heads.

At one point a big lad in a yellow shirt (looked a bit like Stockdale) ran on and started throwing other nerds on the floor as they tried to grab a flag from his shorts.

"What the actual **** is going on?!" was the gist of the conversation.

We were actually crying with laughter at this point but then calmed it down as we noticed that the cafe was filling up with participants who had finished their "matches" and we didn't want to seem like twats.

Not being harsh but these were ALL the type of people that you would have avoided being friends with at school. At all costs.

I've never seen anything like it.

I went to pick my son up and we went back to the cafe to watch the end of the game and get him some lunch. It even lightened the shite result as after the final whistle we went out on the balcony to see the next round of gimpery.

After five minutes the nipper was getting cold so I said "we can watch it from inside while you finish your chips if you like?" he said "it's ok dad, I've seen enough" and burst out laughing.

To each their own but **** me. I never knew this was a thing and I sort of wish I didn't now.
Wonderful [emoji38]ol:

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I consider myself to be a Harry Potter world fan. I’ve read all the books, I’ve watched all the films, I’ve been to Universal several times. I even have my own wand carefully selected.

So tonight I went to watch Fantastic Beasts 2.

What the hell was that all about?

Lots of confused looking people coming out of the cinema.

Liked parts of it, but seemed very contrived to bring together a number of story threads to presumably lead into the next film. But very confusing. The two slightly less Potter people I went with were even more baffled. One of them fell asleep!

Would love to know how kids follow it. Maybe it doesn’t matter though as it’s still mostly fun.

I take it Johnny Depp is hiding behind huge amounts of eyeliner and mascara again ?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I knew I'd get grief for this. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Which team do you play for btw. And could you explain the rules?

I don't play for any team, but...

There were "goals" but they were circular hoops hung up from posts

Yep, three hoops at each end, and you get 10 points for putting the ball through the hoop.

She's a beater. Her job is to hit one of the two bludgers (type of ball) at the other team to put them off. Can be hit toward the ones trying to score goals, or the seeker, who is trying to catch the snitch...

That would be the snitch. In the books/films it's a tiny golden ball that flies around randomly. In real life you can't really do that, so that guy appears to be the equivalent. The game goes until either teams' seeker catches the snitch. Catching the snitch also gets you 150 points.

I know that it seems ridiculous to have a game where scoring a goal gives you 10points and catching the snitch gives you 150 and ends the game (why would you catch it if you're more than 150 behind? Why bother scoring goals if you can just catch the snitch and win? etc), when questioned JK rowling tweeted:

[tweet]1049713040541843458p[/tweet]
It makes total sense. There's glamour in chasing an elusive lucky break, but teamwork and persistence can still win the day. Everyone's vulnerable to blows of fate and obstructive people, and success means rising above them. Quidditch is the human condition. You're welcome.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here