Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Briton jailed for life in UAE.

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
this is what you will have a hard time convincing people of ........most of these countries are/were ruled with an iron fist but it suited western agenda to get rid of Saddam & Gaddafi thus destabilising an entire region and reduce the perceived , immediate risk to our Israeli buddies .......well how did that work out, i know for a fact there are some gargantuan building projects under way in Iraq and the Emirates using expat expertise , i play golf with a Geordie lad who has just come off a 5 year contract 3 months on 2 weeks off in Iraq , he has always been very cagey about what he does out there and one recent afternoon after a few too many coldies he told me he had to sign a non disclosure agreement with his employer (BP) and that he has over 200,000 USD tied up for 3 years dependant on him keeping certain aspects of his vocation quiet.
The part of your post i was alluding to is the tribalism , it is a massive problem in the developing world .
Tribalism isn't restricted to the middle east. We have it here, we hate the Scots and they hate us.[emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
I really don't know why the UK keeps doing business with these disgusting backward, stone age Middle East states. Well OK, I do, oil and weapons, but it's about time we put our morals first.

I agree with the sentiment but unfortunately we ain't currently in our strongest position to pick and choose who we trade with!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Tribalism isn't restricted to the middle east. We have it here, we hate the Scots and they hate us.[emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

i love scotts......whiskey , deep fried mars bars and the square sausage .......gastronomic icons....!!

joking aside we have moved on from trying to annihilate the scotts unlike numerous situations in Eastern Asia , Persia and Africa.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
Friend of mine is currently banged up in Qatar for 37 years for bouncing cheques.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Back on the subject of the naive academic, can't help but think of the case of the plane spotters in Greece jailed for espionage for taking photos of a military airfield. You can't just go crashing around the world without having some sense of awareness of what might land you in deep shit in the country you're visiting.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
It was a joke; he dropped that woman in Iran in the shit when he was Home Secretary.

Yes, I realise that. This is not just about a naive academic, but also his naive supervisors at Durham University who today have said 'there would now have to be "some kind of moratorium" on sending students to do field work in the UAE and the wider Gulf region'. No Sh*t, Sherlock.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Yes, I realise that. This is not just about a naive academic, but also his naive supervisors at Durham University who today have said 'there would now have to be "some kind of moratorium" on sending students to do field work in the UAE and the wider Gulf region'. No Sh*t, Sherlock.

Maybe because the naive supervisors at Durham University think we live in a happy clappy world.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
You can't just go crashing around the world without having some sense of awareness of what might land you in deep shit in the country you're visiting.

I once got arrested near Pittsburgh for suspected industrial espionage when I was taking a photo of the smoking steel mills at night. The Police took me to the police station but I was released when the police officer knew the people I was staying with who verified my story. I was innocently taking an atmospheric nightscape. The thought that I might be mistaken for an industrial spy didn't even enter my head.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Maybe because the naive supervisors at Durham University think we live in a happy clappy world.

Durham - apparently - is a uni renown for producing spies.

The language of the Foreign security and PM is interesting. They are "concerned" and will have "frank conversations" (bbc) but I haven't seen anyone from those circles protesting his innocence. My money is on a random Arab guy being released from prison over here early soon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here