Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Briton jailed for life in UAE.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
My work has been negotiating with the UAE but I suspect that is one multi million pound inward investment that will be firmly on the back burner.
I see that Birmingham University staff have already declined to work at their campus in Dubai

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Yes, I realise that. This is not just about a naive academic, but also his naive supervisors at Durham University who today have said 'there would now have to be "some kind of moratorium" on sending students to do field work in the UAE and the wider Gulf region'. No Sh*t, Sherlock.

How old is this student? 31 I believe you’d have hoped he could think for himself but obviously not. Education is crap these days

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
How old is this student? 31 I believe you’d have hoped he could think for himself but obviously not. Education is crap these days

Sure is.

They think the the world is like their college/Uni, full of 'diversity and inclusion' - with a safe room just in case someone calls you by the wrong pro-noun.

God help us. And him.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Absolutely shocking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It certainly is. Just read about it. The fact you get "life" for bounced cheques is shocking enough, but if that's what the law is, then why were the Qatari business partners not equally liable if they as partners were equally responsible for honouring the cheques?

And from what I gather his cellmate, the Australian, Joseph Sarlak is a totally seperate incident. There's obviously a pattern of corruption going on.

It must be traumatic enough to be a victim of legal injustice in this country, but when you are incarcerated in a place like Qatar it must be terrifying. At least when it happens here you have a vestige of hope that justice will eventually prevail because we supposedly live in a "decent" society. However even in a supposed "decent" society the corruption, or agendas or general failings still have a lot to answer for. So out there it is probably a hundred times worse.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Yeah coz 37 years is a justifiable punishment you cock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Did I say it was justified ?
When people offer to pay over here by cheque unless the customer is old and cannot simply understand Bacs or bank transfers, that is the first thing that springs to mind, they either have no money or are themselves waiting for funds to clear.

No need to jump to conclusions and call me a cock, without meeting me and coming to the same conclusions...

I hope they both get released, shameful sentence from a shameful and corrupt country.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Sure is.

They think the the world is like their college/Uni, full of 'diversity and inclusion' - with a safe room just in case someone calls you by the wrong pro-noun.

God help us. And him.

Something just doesnt sit right with me here. These are supposedly clever people. What on earth was on his visa for reason for entry to the country? Do people assume because you have an English passport and we have trade deals in place that you can enter countries and do "legitimate acadamic research into their security " and a call to the embassy will see you alright? Was his PHD research into their security going to be published? That is not ok in any country is it. We cant really just shout injustice about the length of another countries sentences or he must be innocent as he a Brit and goes to Uni. Stuff like this must be a major headache for the foreign office and diplomats. We do billions of dollars in trade with you, therefore you must let this one go, a story in the papers will put anyone else off being a bit naive

Good luck to him. Cant really say its right or wrong personally, its just dumb

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I imagine the was some sort of “persuasion” was given

Sleep deprivation is common.

Apparently things have moved on with contact from the Foreign Office. Matthew's wife is being interviewed on BBC Breakfast in a few minutes.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It seems there has been constructive talks between the Foreign Office & the UAE.
The UAE are going to release a statement later this morning. Matthew's wife is hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Something just doesnt sit right with me here. These are supposedly clever people. What on earth was on his visa for reason for entry to the country? Do people assume because you have an English passport and we have trade deals in place that you can enter countries and do "legitimate acadamic research into their security " and a call to the embassy will see you alright? Was his PHD research into their security going to be published? That is not ok in any country is it. We cant really just shout injustice about the length of another countries sentences or he must be innocent as he a Brit and goes to Uni. Stuff like this must be a major headache for the foreign office and diplomats. We do billions of dollars in trade with you, therefore you must let this one go, a story in the papers will put anyone else off being a bit naive

Good luck to him. Cant really say its right or wrong personally, its just dumb

Not as dumb as the Durham Uni -

Vice-Chancellor of Durham University, Professor Stuart Corbridge, said the conditions Hedges was being held in "breached his human rights". Good luck with that.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
He should do the time. Act as a warning to all the gormless academics who think they can swan about the world uninterrupted.
As for the idiot writing bad cheques, Dubai would have seen that as a huge dishonour. 37 years is harsh but don’t break the law in a country like Dubai.

Last edited:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
It seems there has been constructive talks between the Foreign Office & the UAE.
The UAE are going to release a statement later this morning. Matthew's wife is hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

Statement released - it was not a 5 minute trial, but a process that Judges considered for over a month. Like the UK, Govt does not interfere with the courts, but possible for an appeal or a pardon. Family have appealed for clemency and that is being considered. Talks with Jeremy Hunt were positive and UAE are hopeful of an amicable solution.

So a glimmer of hope.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It’s likeley a big PR stunt. They’ll pardon him and be hailed as “good people after all” and our PM can say “look they’re nice people, people we can do trade deals with, don’t you think? Yes lovely people. See Brexit worked out just fine, look at the lovely, forgiving people we can trade with now”.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
It’s likeley a big PR stunt. They’ll pardon him and be hailed as “good people after all” and our PM can say “look they’re nice people, people we can do trade deals with, don’t you think? Yes lovely people. See Brexit worked out just fine, look at the lovely, forgiving people we can trade with now”.

yes, that's pretty much what I started to think

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here