Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton For Ireland Manager ?

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
why oh why did you move the 'Whar (sic) happened...' thread? It's been my NSC highlight of the day...

Capture22.PNG

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
If he wanted the job, he'd be immediate favourite.

He (quite obviously?) doesn't want the job. Nor does any other employed Premier League manager.

This. Let's be honest - it ain't exactly the most attractive job in the world is it vis-a-vis PL matches every week
and being admired and liked throughout Sussex and beyond.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Agreed, unless the club is virtually relegated already, the chairman is an arse AND the National team are of a level where they are at least 80% likely to qualify for the major tournaments.

In this case it's 0 out of 3

(Ireland are decent with some solid players but let's be honest, they're not even at a Denmark or Poland level yet which would be my kind of tipping point).

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Ireland had good players in the 80's and 90's and some of their results reflected this.

Most of the current squad, I am not familiar with. So in my opinion its a poisoned chalice whoever takes over.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Ireland had good players in the 80's and 90's and some of their results reflected this.

Thanks to Jackie Charlton and his 'distant relative once drank a pint of Guinness' approach, Ireland had good English players in the 80s and 90s!

For instance, Lancashire born and bred Lawro, and Londoners the like of Andy Townsend and .... ahem ... cough ..... one C. Hughton esq. ..... ........................... ............

Personally, as an Englishman, I think our 2nd. XI did us proud for a few years!

Last edited:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Interesting point. Do you think Dyche or Smug would turn down the England job?

World of difference between England and RoI though. You can see why Dyche or Smug would want to raise their profile to get a chance at a really big club afterwards. Managing Ireland will never help a manager break through that ceiling but England might if you are successful.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Thanks to Jackie Charlton and his 'distant relative once drank a pint of Guinness' approach, Ireland had good English players in the 80s and 90s!

For instance, Lancashire born and bred Lawro, and Londoners the like of Andy Townsend and .... ahem ... cough ..... one C. Hughton esq. ..... ........................... ............

Chris's Mum was Irish

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013

Yeah you wouldn't catch England being managed by a foreigner, oh hang on there was of course Sven-Goran and Fabio. Nor foreign born playing for England, oh hang on Raheem is from Jamaica isn't he? Oh and that Owen Hargreaves a Canadian?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
McCarthy is Ireland manager; Westlife, Spice Girls and Boyzone are all playing large venues in Dublin next year.

I'm expecting NSC to go black and white and not require a login and our next game to be in Division 3 imminently!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here