Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton For Ireland Manager ?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
This could be perfect timing, what with 'arry coming out the jungle in the next few weeks he could replace big Chris.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
One of the Steve's will probably get it. Stephen Kenny or Steve Bruce. Can't see them going back for Mick McCarthy. Though he did a more than decent job for them during the early noughties.
Jaysus - I hope not - Kenny is a LOI manager - he managed Dunfermline for a year and was a disaster - and Bruce should retire, he's past it.

Like Hughton, McCarthy is underrated - his first stint with Ireland was his second job - hewas manager of Millwall. He made a lot of blunders when Ireland manager, including the Roy Keane debacle. Since then he has a lot more experience, has proven capable of getting teams into the PL but was never given the money to keep them there and for the last six years he has kept Ipswich competitive without any money (and look at where they are now when he is gone).

McCarthy could get it - and I think he could do a decent job - but every Irish person would want Hughton ahead of him.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Hope not too, but you couldn't blame him if he got the chance.

Really? I'd be amazed, and frankly, a little bit critical, if he was to walk away from a safe job in the Premier League for International Football. It's rarely a job that snares a guy who is in demand in club football these days. It is like semi-retirement when a guy cannot do the grind of the day-to-day anymore, has lost his club football mojo and takes a well paid part-time job, largely on his reputation. That's not for Hughton anytime soon in my view.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Hughton is reputed to be on about £525K before he signed his recent extension

But Hughton has never struck me as being motivated by money. w.

Plus huge bonus for league position. We are all motivated by money in some way!!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
One of the Steve's will probably get it. Stephen Kenny or Steve Bruce. Can't see them going back for Mick McCarthy. Though he did a more than decent job for them during the early noughties.

Has Keane stood down as well?

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Jaysus - I hope not - Kenny is a LOI manager - he managed Dunfermline for a year and was a disaster - and Bruce should retire, he's past it.

Like Hughton, McCarthy is underrated - his first stint with Ireland was his second job - hewas manager of Millwall. He made a lot of blunders when Ireland manager, including the Roy Keane debacle. Since then he has a lot more experience, has proven capable of getting teams into the PL but was never given the money to keep them there and for the last six years he has kept Ipswich competitive without any money (and look at where they are now when he is gone).

McCarthy could get it - and I think he could do a decent job - but every Irish person would want Hughton ahead of him.

Fair analysis. I get the feeling you're a bit closer to this emotionally than I am. I've always kept an eye out for the Republic of Ireland since USA 94. Hopefully you get a solid appointment that can take you to the next Euro's. Hughton will undoubtedly end up managing the R.O.I, but as others have said on this thread...his work here is not done, yet.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Daft speculation. Pretty sure CH would be a shoo-in (or shoe-in to some of you) if he were currently unemployed. But he's not. And highly unlikely to be anytime soon.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
If Chris gets the job then we can go on the COYBIG chat page and warn their fans to expect negative and boring football.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
If Chris gets the job then we can go on the COYBIG chat page and warn their fans to expect negative and boring football.

'negative and boring football' - have you seen an Irish international match recently -

In the past year -

Played 11
Won 1 (2-1 friendly against USA)
Drew 5
Lost 5
Goals for 5
Goals against 15

In competitive fixtures - played 6 won 0 drew 2 lost 4 and only scored 2 goals.

And against Denmark a few days ago the Danes had almost 80% possession and 25 shots on goal - the Irish team barely made it out of their own half during the entire game.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The timing's all wrong for Hughton. His stock as a shrewd Prem manager has never been so high, while the Republic are toothless without the now-retired Robbie Keane.

Given that the bulk of the squad are Championship players then appointing Mick McCarthy makes sense in that he'll know them well, I'll expect he would have watched all Ireland's games and know their strengths and weaknesses already.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm really not sure he would.

It's taken him a few clubs to get to a club where he is massively respected, not under the threat of the sack every time he loses a game and his stock as a top-class manager is still on the rise.

International management is a completely different role, and I'd be surprised if he was feeling like he wanted that move, into what feels a bit like semi-retirement, just yet. To compound that, Ireland are as about as weak as I can remember them being, and he'd be taking a massive pay cut.

This. The Ireland job will probably come up at least 3-4 more times before Hughton wants to move into semi-retirement. He'll take it when he finally feels that's right.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
View attachment 102227

Think we all know where this is going...

E0BF88F6-7DDF-49B8-8100-FF7AFDD50187.jpeg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The bookies have this right, McCarthy must be nailed on for this. He's cheap, available, and has the experience. I'll be surprised to see them take a punt on anyone else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here