Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton For Ireland Manager ?

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
No chance. A step backwards in
I my opinion. I’d say he’s more likely to manage England in the future than an extremely poor Irish team.

The Irish team is a decent team and has some young talent coming through - O'Neill was old, staid and relied on older players (often played out of position).

Why would Hughton be more likely to manage England? He was the first black player to play for Ireland, he was hugely popular as an Irish international, played 53 times and was assistant manager for nearly three years.

Hughton is going to be 60 in a few weeks and would be given free rein the the Ireland job for the next four or five years (and probably bring Brian Kerr back into the Irish coaching set-up - Hughton was Kerr's assistant and they got on very well together).

Hughton will manage the Republic of Ireland at some point - and he will decide when - if it is now then the job is his - if he decides to wait because he wants to continue with where he is, then it will be the next time the job becomes vacant. I can't see him finishing his managerial career without managing Ireland.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I am sure that I read somewhere that he want to manage the Republic's team at some point in the future, although the article implied several years into the future. However, as others have suggested, the opportunity may not be available at his convenience. His pragmatic style should suit a team like them.

I am confident that Tony will find a good replacement if he does go, and hopefully one who plays entertaining football.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
This is the one vacancy that really scares me. If they want him, he'll go.

No chance. If he was with a less stable second rung Prem club maybe, but he is held in very high esteem at one of the best employers in English football.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
Aug 8, 2005
Can't see him leaving us for that. Career suicide.

If he was offered the England job in 5/6 years though I wouldn't be surprised to see him tempted.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
And his tendancy to kick off during games and threaten other managers to have a bare knuckle fight.

Yeah, his unacceptable touch line behaviour and the disgusting scenes after the match at Cardiff when he was filmed muttering “damn those welsh sheep worriers” clearly influenced Tony Bloom when overlooking him when appointing the deputy chairman. CH is his own worst enemy and unless he curbs his outrageous behaviour no one will touch him.
Think of the kids!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
No way, Ireland is not a step up.....

Slick Cherry

Banned
Oct 26, 2018
Oh > "It [managing Ireland] is something I would definitely never say never to. If you're going to coach, you want to coach at the highest level, and being able to do that at international level is the highest level."

Phew > "My real desire is day-to-day football, being out there on the training ground. I'm still youngish enough and fit enough."

Stoke? West Brom? > "Can we become like Stoke Southampton, West Brom, a team regularly in the division? That us what the aim and objectives are."

More > https://www.balls.ie/football/chris-hughton-ireland-brighton-383463

Stoke...West Brom and Southampton eh...:shootself

Seagulls1984

Aug 8, 2011
Steyning
Can't see him leaving us for that. Career suicide.

If he was offered the England job in 5/6 years though I wouldn't be surprised to see him tempted.

The England job are you having a laugh, he can’t win a game away from home . Some fans are so deluded. No one in the top half of the prem would ever come in for Chris.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Managers, like players, move for the money.

I seriously doubt the Irish FA could match his deal with us, let alone improve upon it..........and tbh.........he is probably too good for them.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The England job are you having a laugh, he can’t win a game away from home . Some fans are so deluded. No one in the top half of the prem would ever come in for Chris.

Agree. That said, he’ll probably be in the top half with us in 2-3 seasons........by which time only a true top 6 club would appeal to him, and they wouldn’t go for him.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Managers, like players, move for the money.

I seriously doubt the Irish FA could match his deal with us, let alone improve upon it..........and tbh.........he is probably too good for them.

Hughton is reputed to be on about £525K before he signed his recent extension - Martin O'Neill was paid £2million a year - even Roy Keane was on £600K

But Hughton has never struck me as being motivated by money - he seems to be more motivated by the opportunities he is presented with.

Like I said - if he wants the Irish job then it is his - and I would expect the FAI will at least make a phone call. I suspect that he will stay where he is, but do expect him to leave for the Ireland job at some point if it doesn't happen now.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Some fans are so deluded. No one in the top half of the prem would ever come in for Chris.

I think such is the way with modern football that no-one in the top 6 is likely to come in for Hughton, which is a shame for him and decent managers like him.

The middle tier of the Premier League is really only Everton, I think.

The rest, including the likes of Watford, Bournemouth, Leicester are only this year's Stoke and West Brom. Margins are thin, and it doesn't take much of a mis-step for anyone to be flushed back down to the Championship.

So, in terms of "step up" jobs, only Everton feels like a possible, and that's not near-term with Silva seemingly doing a good job.

Maybe if Newcastle have a change of owner and stop being a basket-case club, then that could also be attractive to him.

Seagulls1984

Aug 8, 2011
Steyning
I think such is the way with modern football that no-one in the top 6 is likely to come in for Hughton, which is a shame for him and decent managers like him.

The middle tier of the Premier League is really only Everton, I think.

The rest, including the likes of Watford, Bournemouth, Leicester are only this year's Stoke and West Brom. Margins are thin, and it doesn't take much of a mis-step for anyone to be flushed back down to the Championship.

So, in terms of "step up" jobs, only Everton feels like a possible, and that's not near-term with Silva seemingly doing a good job.

Maybe if Newcastle have a change of owner and stop being a basket-case club, then that could also be attractive to him.

From his point of view in reality what more can he really achieve with us .

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
One of the Steve's will probably get it. Stephen Kenny or Steve Bruce. Can't see them going back for Mick McCarthy. Though he did a more than decent job for them during the early noughties.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here