Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton For Ireland Manager ?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I just don't see it as a step up in any way. That's not saying it's a job he wouldn't like to do at some stage, but not right now.

It feels like more of a "on the way down" rather than "still on the way up" kinda gig.

Irish Mick it is then!

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Well that's me told

Sorry!

But seriously, why would he leave us for a 3rd rate international team? Now if it was Spurs with a vacancy , I’d definitely be crapping my pants!

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Shirley it ought to be a straight swap.

They take Hughton off our hands.
We get in O'Neil and Keane.

Everybody is happy.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sorry!

But seriously, why would he leave us for a 3rd rate international team? Now if it was Spurs with a vacancy , I’d definitely be crapping my pants!

This. It's a terrible job which will pay the same or less for very little chance of success and without the long term commitment he's been given here by Tony Bloom. The compo they'd have to pay us would be through the roof and it wouldn't solve the problem that (Duffy apart, obvs) their players really are not very good at the moment. Zero chance of him going to Ireland.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Can’t see it happening. Appears to love everything about the club, he’s got a Chairman who is 100% behind him (and isn’t prone at all to firing managers - he wouldn’t even sack Sami FFS), he’s surrounded by a top team of staff and from a personal perspective I reckon he has what he sees as ‘unfinished business’ at a PL level after Norwich and Newcastle - really wants to prove he can sustain it at this level. Doubt it would be better for him financially either.

The way the club operate, I can see CH grooming a successor over the next 3-5 years then either moving ‘upstairs’ or possibly taking an International job at that point. Just guessing, obviously.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Manage a " Team Like Brighton , Or the International powerhouse that is ROI , He's probably packed already .

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'll not lose a wink of sleep over this. There is literally more chance of me hanging out the back of Meghan Markle this Sunday lunchtime than there is of Chris Hughton taking the Ireland job.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I really doubt he’d take that job over Albion manager

On the contrary, I think it's probably the only job he would leave us for. Even if offered one of the top six, other than possibly Tottenaham

Although, in our favour, his job with us isn't done yet. Getting to PL was the main part, establishing ourselves is the the next, probably final bit. If we were already established and the Ireland job came up I think there would be a very good chance he'd take it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Oh > "It [managing Ireland] is something I would definitely never say never to. If you're going to coach, you want to coach at the highest level, and being able to do that at international level is the highest level."

Phew > "My real desire is day-to-day football, being out there on the training ground. I'm still youngish enough and fit enough."

Stoke? West Brom? > "Can we become like Stoke Southampton, West Brom, a team regularly in the division? That us what the aim and objectives are."

More > https://www.balls.ie/football/chris-hughton-ireland-brighton-383463

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
His international team. There's the rub.

No chance. A step backwards in
I my opinion. I’d say he’s more likely to manage England in the future than an extremely poor Irish team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here