Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton For Ireland Manager ?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Why would he want it? The Republic's going through a bad period in terms of having good players available, so any manager would be on a hiding to nothing. Plus he is genuinely on a long term project with us, I believe. And I'm pretty sure he would have to take a big pay cut.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Why would he want it? The Republic's going through a bad period in terms of having good players available, so any manager would be on a hiding to nothing. Plus he is genuinely on a long term project with us, I believe. And I'm pretty sure he would have to take a big pay cut.

Budget is about €1m a year depending how dear your assistant is, no idea what he's on here though but it could easily be more.

He'll be asked. I don't think he'll take it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This is the one vacancy that really scares me. If they want him, he'll go.

I'm really not sure he would.

It's taken him a few clubs to get to a club where he is massively respected, not under the threat of the sack every time he loses a game and his stock as a top-class manager is still on the rise.

International management is a completely different role, and I'd be surprised if he was feeling like he wanted that move, into what feels a bit like semi-retirement, just yet. To compound that, Ireland are as about as weak as I can remember them being, and he'd be taking a massive pay cut.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I'd have thought we're a bigger job with better long term prospects and better chance to win a trophy.

Plus expect he can get the Ireland job in the future, but a PL job is going to be tough unless it's a club already in relegation trouble.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
'Arry

arry.JPG

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
I'm really not sure he would.

It's taken him a few clubs to get to a club where he is massively respected, not under the threat of the sack every time he loses a game and his stock as a top-class manager is still on the rise.

International management is a completely different role, and I'd be surprised if he was feeling like he wanted that move, into what feels a bit like semi-retirement, just yet. To compound that, Ireland are as about as weak as I can remember them being, and he'd be taking a massive pay cut.

I have nothing to base it on other than my own thoughts but, playing devil's advocate - what is realistically the next step up for him? He's not going to get a job at top 6 club, and the rest of the Premier League is much of a muchness. This is the only job that would come available that would be a step up for him (i get the club / international difference obviously) .

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I have nothing to base it on other than my own thoughts but, playing devil's advocate - what is realistically the next step up for him? He's not going to get a job at top 6 club, and the rest of the Premier League is much of a muchness. This is the only job that would come available that would be a step up for him (i get the club / international difference obviously) .

It isn't a step up financially, nor in profile / status :shrug:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I just don't see it as a step up in any way. That's not saying it's a job he wouldn't like to do at some stage, but not right now.

It feels like more of a "on the way down" rather than "still on the way up" kinda gig.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I can’t think of a single reason why he would choose that job over his current one. It would be a backward step in every way.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I love these threads because every time one pops up with this question, I can always refer to the fact that I asked it directly to Aisha Hughton in the aftermath of the Derby v Huddersfield game, after the Wigan game, amongst the glorious carnage of that Easter Monday in the West Lower- he has no interest in going into international football management according to his daughter.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here