Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Speed camera switch on

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
A service engineer who had a call out to my place said he got done on the M25 doing 51 mph when there was a temporary 50 mph warning on the gantry.

The letter arrived too late for him to accept the speed awareness course so he gad to take the points. Beware!

I think he might be telling porkies. The police have 14 days to serve an NIP - after that it's invalid.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
The Welsh police are notorious for speed control. A friend of mine is an A&E nurse in Cardiff and she got to go out on patrol with Cardiff motorway police once - she was amazed at how much enjoyment they took in catching even those slightly over the limit. In fact my only speeding ticket in 30 years of driving came from the lovely Welsh police - empty M4 and doing 81 in the dry and perfect visability. Hands up I was speeding but I really do think there should be a re-think on motorway speed limits.

Sounds like all Traffic cops. Bigger ******** than the normal ones

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
A service engineer who had a call out to my place said he got done on the M25 doing 51 mph when there was a temporary 50 mph warning on the gantry.

The letter arrived too late for him to accept the speed awareness course so he gad to take the points. Beware!

I think he might be telling porkies. The police have 14 days to serve an NIP - after that it's invalid.

I think he probably isn't.

He was probably like me, driving a company vehicle / lease car, and it took a while for the letter to finally reach the actual driver / keeper.

The one I got, the first I knew of it was 11 WEEKS after the offence, because of some bullshit at the lease company, then a further bout of lethargy at my head office.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

He was probably like me, driving a company vehicle / lease car, and it took a while for the letter to finally reach the actual driver / keeper.

The one I got, the first I knew of it was 11 WEEKS after the offence, because of some bullshit at the lease company, then a further bout of lethargy at my head office.

Fair point. Always think thats unfair. The police have done their bit correctly yet lease companies and employers fvck it up. Maybe the law should be changed to allow lease companies and employers 7 days to provide the NIP to the driver otherwise they become liable.

Tim Over Whelmed

Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I won't mind sticking to the speed limit IF I know all of those speeding past me are getting points. I often wonder, even in road works how you can poodle along at 50 and yet branded vans, cars etc can speed past clearly doing well above the average speed limit, do they know something we don't?

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
And it's when the authorities make idiot statements like that people roll their eyes and their advice becomes defunct. Using that theory every motorway speed limit should be dropped at night to 50mph "to allow pollution to settle" :facepalm:

I don't condone speeding but our speed limits are too low and we have an obsession with raising funds via cameras. Should at least be the same as French motorways.

Agree, also got told that most speeding fines now are for UNDER the national speed limit.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Yes, was a company car/lease job. Could be quite a few unwanted Xmas presents in the run up to crimbo!

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Smart motorways cameras locations -
M1 J6 - J10
M1 J10 - J13
M1 J25 - J28
M1 J28 - J31
M1 J39 - J42
M25 J7 - J10
M25 J10 - J16
M25 J10 - J23

M6 J4 - J5
M6 J5 - J8
M6 J8 - J10a
M6 J10a -J13
M42 J7 - J9
For those who travel up m down motorway be careful n more importantly be safe
*M1 : Speeding Cameras*

Just to let you know that on Monday morning, they are switching the speeding cameras on 24/7 and if you go above 70mph when going by on M1 you will definitely get a speeding ticket, that’s the full stretch of the M1 all day every day and even when the signs of speed limits are not on.
Good luck all!

But yeah yeah I know stick to limit yawn.

So is that junction 7 all the way around to 23 on the M25. CW and ACW? There are currently only 2 operating cameras on the stretch M25 J7 to 14 that I do for work. One around J 9 and another at 10. That’s it. I can’t believe those 15 year old camera on the M25 are suddenly operating again?

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
Slightly off track, but now when going into London on A40, there are now average speed cameras, which are catching quite a lot of people who are unaware of their installation.

With average speed cameras, if you do say 90% of the stretch at 5 miles an hour can you do the final 10% at 140 if you're average doesn't go above 50?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
With average speed cameras, if you do say 90% of the stretch at 5 miles an hour can you do the final 10% at 140 if you're average doesn't go above 50?

Not on a motorway, min.speed is 30mph and max is 70mph so you'd get points for that instead!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

They don't have to limit themselves to your average speed over the whole stretch. Exceed the limit between any two cameras and you're fair game.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The one thing that annoys me is on motorways when the overhead signs have a reduced speed limit, and you reduce your speed to comply then drive miles and miles without seeing any signs reaffirming the lower speed limit or an all clear sign. So in effect the controllers have gone to sleep and failed to turn off one of the signs from an earlier incident. :rant:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

He's a nice lad, he normally comes down to us every 6 months or so and we have a good chat about fishing, he does not strike me as the type to tell porkies. He was flabbergasted that they would do him for 1mph over. Needless to say, he does not want points on his licence or he's stuffed.

A1X

Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
In my experience of driving on the M25 round the sections listed 70 would appear a tad optimistic. 7 is perhaps a more realistic speed to do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here