Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Speed camera switch on

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It's not a zero sum game. You're no worse off for someone going faster than you.

Apart from:

-more chance of you or a loved one being killed;
-more pollution;
-greater contribution to global warming;
-more enforcement of speeding due to idiots taking the piss; and
-more chance of getting held up in an accident.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Where did you get that from? The only place I know with a minimum speed limit is the Dartford tunnel.

He's wrong - there is no minimum speed limit on motorways (though driving very slowly is incredibly dangerous).

Driving at 30, you'd very likely get rear-ended by a massive truck, or be pulled over by the police, who'd suspect you were hammered.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
He's wrong - there is no minimum speed limit on motorways (though driving very slowly is incredibly dangerous).

Driving at 30, you'd very likely get rear-ended by a massive truck, or be pulled over by the police, who'd suspect you were hammered.
If they did, anybody with epilepsy should be told not to drive on the m25, as the cameras will be flashing every car sitting still in traffic! [emoji3]

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Here’s an interesting one.

I was snapped on M25 doing 70 in a zone that had dropped to 50 literally 2 mins before (variable limit) obviously I protested to Surrey Police to say I’d passed the sign before the overhead gantry switched to 50 from 70 and was about to reduce speed before the next Gantry.

Know what got me off though. I noticed that the camera that caught me was in Bedford Police jurisdiction yet Surrey were the issuing force. I wrote and asked for proof that the chief constable of Bedfordshire had asked Surrey Police to collect fines on their behalf.

I never heard another thing.

Over 2 years ago now btw.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Where did you get that from? The only place I know with a minimum speed limit is the Dartford tunnel.

Stand corrected, it's a long time since read highway code and was sure remembered something about tractors and the like not being allowed to on unless did more than that. Anyway, as others mention...it's a sure way to get stopped or rear-ended!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Here’s an interesting one.

I was snapped on M25 doing 70 in a zone that had dropped to 50 literally 2 mins before (variable limit) obviously I protested to Surrey Police to say I’d passed the sign before the overhead gantry switched to 50 from 70 and was about to reduce speed before the next Gantry.

Know what got me off though. I noticed that the camera that caught me was in Bedford Police jurisdiction yet Surrey were the issuing force. I wrote and asked for proof that the chief constable of Bedfordshire had asked Surrey Police to collect fines on their behalf.

I never heard another thing.

Over 2 years ago now btw.

Often wondered about this - when signs suddenly change as you pass under, are you supposed to brake sharply to avoid a fine but risk someone else crashing into you from behind?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Stand corrected, it's a long time since read highway code and was sure remembered something about tractors and the like not being allowed to on unless did more than that. Anyway, as others mention...it's a sure way to get stopped or rear-ended!

That bit you ARE right about - vehicles incapable of travelling at sufficient speed (25mph is mentioned somewhere) are prohibited from using motorways. But there is no specific law against a standard car dropping to 20 mph (though I suspect 'dangerous driving / driving without due care', etc might come into play).

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Smart motorways cameras locations -
M1 J6 - J10
M1 J10 - J13
M1 J25 - J28
M1 J28 - J31
M1 J39 - J42

M25 J7 - J10
M25 J10 - J16
M25 J10 - J23
M6 J4 - J5
M6 J5 - J8
M6 J8 - J10a
M6 J10a -J13
M42 J7 - J9
For those who travel up m down motorway be careful n more importantly be safe
*M1 : Speeding Cameras*

Just to let you know that on Monday morning, they are switching the speeding cameras on 24/7 and if you go above 70mph when going by on M1 you will definitely get a speeding ticket, that’s the full stretch of the M1 all day every day and even when the signs of speed limits are not on.
Good luck all!

But yeah yeah I know stick to limit yawn.

Not quite the full stretch of the M1.
Nothing between J13 and J25, nor J31 to J38.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Someone I know very well is heavily involved with speed cameras at their work.

they don't know about the m1 cameras and the m40 ones but do know about the m25 ones.

Yes, they do work, yes they are being turned on 24/7. But there is a kicker to this.

They visited the Surrey safer road partnership recently. And visited the offices and server rooms. The partnerships are regional and the cameras on the m25 go through several different counties. They're not sure if it's possible that it can be done unless the highways agency take control. (I'm reliably informed they wont) so it's up to each partnership to cover their own patch.

Many partnerships simply don't have the man power to deal with the sheer volume of offences because most people speed.

The Surrey one covers the m25 to Gatwick average speed cameras for the upgrade works.

Average speed warning signs are aplenty before and during the affected area. It's impossible to miss them.

In one hour they recorded over 2000 offences. They haven't got the staff to get it processed in time. It's impossible with current staff levels. And they wont be hiring any more as far as they know.

BUT

They will be used only at random times through the day, maybe for an hour, maybe more, but you'll never know which time period and for how long..... could be an hour between 7am-8am or 3 hours between 11am-2pm etc. It's going to be like playing Russian roulette, speed and take your chances I suppose.

It's also interesting with average speed cameras. Take the handcross hill improvement ones. There were 10 sets of cameras along the length of the whole works. Set for 50mph.

It's a common belief that because it's AVERAGE, if you go in at 70, as long as you slow down consistently and come out the end at 30mph you'll be ok because your average will be 50.....

Or if you speed in but take a slip road out you won't get caught because you never make it out the end you'll be fine....

But the cameras aren't set like that. The "zones" are all variable, so the checks will only be done between say set 1-10. Or set between set 3-5. Or 8-9. They are all changed regularly and do work 24/7.

I can't remember exactly now but the figures I was told for speeding offences during those roadworks was eye watering.

Watch yourself.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I don't take any chances at all. Straight down to 50 with cruise control activated to stop my speed creeping up.

That’s normally me, I do the same in a 30 or 40 zone too, time to concentrate a bit more I guess.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
That’s normally me, I do the same in a 30 or 40 zone too, time to concentrate a bit more I guess.

Do you own a fleet of Nissan Micras? If so I’m the one that’s always behind you whilst your going along 10MPH slower than the actual limit.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Often wondered about this - when signs suddenly change as you pass under, are you supposed to brake sharply to avoid a fine but risk someone else crashing into you from behind?

They told us about this on the course I atttended about smart motorways. There is a 40 second buffer between the signs changing, so they’ve worked out the braking time if going at 70 to reduce down to say 50.
There is also equipment/ cameras monitoring the actual camera that prove the speed limit at the time if you are caught.
The cameras also monitor how many cars per minute go past a camera and this will determine if a lower speed kicks in to slow the traffic down.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
They told us about this on the course I atttended about smart motorways. There is a 40 second buffer between the signs changing, so they’ve worked out the braking time if going at 70 to reduce down to say 50.
There is also equipment/ cameras monitoring the actual camera that prove the speed limit at the time if you are caught.
The cameras also monitor how many cars per minute go past a camera and this will determine if a lower speed kicks in to slow the traffic down.

Yep, they’re very sophisticated now.

They’re just about to introduce new variables: the leeway will be reduced to 1MPH over the speed limit if you’re driving a BMW or Audi, with a further reduction to -5MPH if it’s red.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Do you own a fleet of Nissan Micras? If so I’m the one that’s always behind you whilst your going along 10MPH slower than the actual limit.

Ha, no, not at all, but I am the infuriating one that does 30mph along Western Road in Lancing, no longer surprised when I get overtaken along there by vans. Likewise along the seafront and only last week I was overtaken driving down Dyke road a quarter of a mile or so down From the A27.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ha, no, not at all, but I am the infuriating one that does 30mph along Western Road in Lancing, no longer surprised when I get overtaken along there by vans. Likewise along the seafront and only last week I was overtaken driving down Dyke road a quarter of a mile or so down From the A27.

I'm the same, now.

Did the awareness course last year, then shortly afterwards had another camera flash, which fortunately never came to anything, but focused my mind further. I REALLY couldn't afford to have problems with my license, and have no intention of racking up points.

I now stick pretty religiously to the limits everywhere other than 70 mph zones where I still allow myself 74mph. And I rely very heavily on the cruise control to regulate my speed, in 50 / 60 /70 zones. It is so easy in a big modern car for your speed to creep up without noticing -especially if the flow of the traffic is all doing 10 / 15 mph over the limit.

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
Maybe I'm wrong, but I simply regard the whole thing as a nonsense. The so-called 'Safety Partnerships' are unelected and responsible to no-one. The worst organisation of all is something called Brake, which has charitable status and sticks its oar whenever possible. It's worth remembering that the 70 mph speed limit was introduced in the '70's by Barbara Castle, then transport minister. Car design, handling, braking and accident survivability has improved no end since then, to say nothing of seat belts, although I also seem to remember that they were promoted on TV by Jimmy Savill. Time to raise the limits

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Maybe I'm wrong, but I simply regard the whole thing as a nonsense. The so-called 'Safety Partnerships' are unelected and responsible to no-one. The worst organisation of all is something called Brake, which has charitable status and sticks its oar whenever possible. It's worth remembering that the 70 mph speed limit was introduced in the '70's by Barbara Castle, then transport minister. Car design, handling, braking and accident survivability has improved no end since then, to say nothing of seat belts, although I also seem to remember that they were promoted on TV by Jimmy Savill. Time to raise the limits

The 'limitS', or just specifically, the 70mph motorway limit?

The motorway limit, I'd agree, you could definitely make a 'safe' case for increasing to 80mph.

The 30 / 40 urban limits, are fine, IMO and I really don't think you could make a case for increasing those, without safety concerns.

Personally I think there are also many rural roads, where the statutory 60mph limit is definitely too HIGH, and should be lowered.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The 'limitS', or just specifically, the 70mph motorway limit?

The motorway limit, I'd agree, you could definitely make a 'safe' case for increasing to 80mph.

The 30 / 40 urban limits, are fine, IMO and I really don't think you could make a case for increasing those, without safety concerns.

Personally I think there are also many rural roads, where the statutory 60mph limit is definitely too HIGH, and should be lowered.

Like every speed restriction, it is a limit, not a requirement. You should always drive to the conditions upto whatever the limit is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here