Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] How do you cope with Stress especially at work?

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
Very interesting reading all the comments above.

The 'always on' syndrome is something I simply cannot escape from with my job. I have posted this on here before, I am a Stage and Production Manager on a cruise ship. Many of you will instantly have an impression of what that is like from shows starring Jane McDonald, but if anyone has been on the newer ships, the shows are far more technical then simply a singer and a microphone, with also a lot more cast and crew. Not only am I in charge of the venue/theatre itself, but also have to manage both the cast that perform in it but the technicians as well. The 'always on' comes from having a DECT phone which is basically an old fashioned mobile phone that anyone else on the ship can call you on. So in theory, whatever the hour, I can get called on.

Many people think the job I simply cocktails on the beach, but the time ashore is the only time we get to relax and not have that phone stuck to you, and even then, if something is urgent, someone will Facebook you with a question.

Most people do 6/7 months onboard at a time (as a manager, I do 4/5) with 2 month vacation before rejoining a ship. Those 6 months, not only do you work every day, but you are away from friends or family, miss home comforts (football obviously is my big one) and also can rarely eat what you want. The job is not overly stressful, it can be difficult and is extremely tiring, but I don't get stressed.

I have painted the job in a fairly bad light, however, having worked with the company for 3 and a half years now, and have worked my way up, I clearly love it, which for me is the most important thing.

Would be interested to hear if anyone else has worked on a ship? Or have a job that is basically 24/7 like this.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
I’ve done a lot of streeful, confrontational jobs in my time. 200 mile commutes, millions of spreadsheets, lazy incompetent teams...answer?

Change jobs, retrain, do something you really like.

My old IT manager left to train as a children’s nurse for example. And he LOVES it.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Being the only person who can resolve most of the issues with our live systems, which are available 24/7 for our clients, my mobile is one of the two that gets alerts when the system is down so I've got into the (very bad) habit of checking my phone as soon as I wake up etc as well as checking our help ticket system when I'm not in the office. I even spent a few hours trying to resolve a system issue on Christmas morning a couple of years ago which even my boss thought was excessive, but I feel responsible for it so couldn't leave it! Couple that with not always sleeping well due to the stress, and it is a vicious circle that I need to break out of.

Digital distractions in general don't help, and the lack of concentration that they bring - I think I need to turn off all alerts on my phone apart from texts and calls! Modern life eh?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Being the only person who can resolve most of the issues with our live systems, which are available 24/7 for our clients, my mobile is one of the two that gets alerts when the system is down so I've got into the (very bad) habit of checking my phone as soon as I wake up etc as well as checking our help ticket system when I'm not in the office. I even spent a few hours trying to resolve a system issue on Christmas morning a couple of years ago which even my boss thought was excessive, but I feel responsible for it so couldn't leave it! Couple that with not always sleeping well due to the stress, and it is a vicious circle that I need to break out of.

Digital distractions in general don't help, and the lack of concentration that they bring - I think I need to turn off all alerts on my phone apart from texts and calls! Modern life eh?

Ive always thought its a daft system when a company relies on one person....what if you were ill?...I'll correct that and say that stress is an illness .....I hope the changes you talked about earlier in this thread make a big difference for you.
Has your boss got a point re Xmas day? If so then you must take heed.....its always the conscientious ones that suffer...take care!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I give my Nan a ring. It’s astonishing how the wisdom , wit and experience of a 94 year old who has seen most of what life has to offer, lived through WW2, married to a merchant naval man so lived all over the world etc , can bring you back to Earth.

Ring your Nan If she still around.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here