Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Pest Control - looking for advice/recommendations

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Pretty sure we have mice or rats (could possibly be bats too) in the space above the ground floor ceiling - hearing scratching and scuffling occasionally after dark. Two specific areas - above a bay window, and above a single storey kitchen extension (so I can’t simply lift up floorboards to check in either case).

Has the collective wisdom of NSC got any advice, or any recommendation for a decent pest controller (Burgess Hill) ? Thanks in advance......

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
We used an Anti Rat Repellent app which creates an inaudible (to humans) high pitched noise. I was sceptical but it got rid of our unwanted guests in one night. They may come back, though, so you may have to use it more than once. It's free, too!

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
We used an Anti Rat Repellent app which creates an inaudible (to humans) high pitched noise. I was sceptical but it got rid of our unwanted guests in one night. They may come back, though, so you may have to use it more than once. It's free, too!

Is this for real??

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
Amazon have a battery powered trap that, baited with peanut butter, lures rodents inside. In reaching towards the bait they step onto two metal plates delivering an electric shock that kills 'em. There's a river behind my pub which attracts them (and the streets of High Wycombe are full of discarded takeaways) and when we had a plague of them four or five years ago used two of these (indoors) and killed the lot. All you then have to do is tip them into a carrier bag and dump the bag into a bin. No mess, no wounded rodents - they don't get up! Brilliant.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Pretty sure we have mice or rats (could possibly be bats too) in the space above the ground floor ceiling - hearing scratching and scuffling occasionally after dark. Two specific areas - above a bay window, and above a single storey kitchen extension (so I can’t simply lift up floorboards to check in either case).

Has the collective wisdom of NSC got any advice, or any recommendation for a decent pest controller (Burgess Hill) ? Thanks in advance......

Are their three of them

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Obviously in the case of bats they are a protected species and it would be illegal for you to disturb their habitats without an appropriate license.

Mice and rats, less so...

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

I heard possibly similar scratching noises which I thought was mice or something in the loft. A friend told me it's a sound referral from magpies pfaffing and grubbing about in the guttering. There's loads of magpies about this year so it makes sense. Noises have stopped now so I'm happy to believe it and it cost nothing to wait till it went away. My advice - do the same.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I heard possibly similar scratching noises which I thought was mice or something in the loft. A friend told me it's a sound referral from magpies pfaffing and grubbing about in the guttering. There's loads of magpies about this year so it makes sense. Noises have stopped now so I'm happy to believe it and it cost nothing to wait till it went away. My advice - do the same.

Thanks - no it’s definitely in the void above the ceiling........

Jul 7, 2003
Does your local council provide this service? If so, they are likely to be much cheaper than other companies.

We had rodents and our local council team were excellent - they visited three times as part of their service. Sadly, the service was cut this year as with many other services.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes

"Deadly Serious" based at East Chiltington..07702 208475..Rats mice wasps etc.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Thanks - no it’s definitely in the void above the ceiling........

Fair enough - good luck. Just to expand for a moment, My noises were in the night and I was sure it was from the loft. But my friend recreated the sounds with her hands on a hard service and the sound was spot on, the hand movements exactly what I thought some little critter was doing. But hey, I've previously used a pest control guy from Seaford who was excellent. He was actually primarily bird control, but dealt with other little beggars too. Can't remember the name, but I'm sure Google will know.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Had an infestation of squirrels in attic space years ago. Got the council guy in who expertly laid poison down. Give it two weeks he said. Great, I asked, when can you come back to dispose of the squirrels. No, says he, YOU have to do that. Sake! One of life's grosser tasks, removing dead squirrels with the aid of a binliner and a pair of marigolds.

Got a wire mesh fitted at entrance to attic now. Tho there's one skinny little bugger of a baby squirrel can squeeze through it somehow. Annoying scampering of feet from the attic occasionally now the weather's getting cold. Even more annoying when he rolls his nuts across the floor. Sounds like sonic device is the way to go. Bit worried it might drive the staffie downstairs a bit head-mental tho. Any advice on that?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

So how does that work then, do you load up the app then leave your mobile in the attic attached to a charger? :moo:

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Used my local council service about 3 years ago - they came back twice too for a total of about £70 - they put poison down and we haven't (crossing fingers violently as I type) had any problem since. They also walked round the house with me and pointed out various gaps where the little beggars could get in so I blocked everything up.
It makes you feel dirty to admit the you have rats/mice/whatever but it is apparently an awful lot more common than you may think. Still a bit of an embarrassment when their van turns up at your door with their logo proudly displayed for all to see !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here