Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Broadband at Home

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
VODAFONE doing a good new user deal especially if you have phones with them. I pay £25 per month for broad band and land line which I took out when they were offering a deal.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So is something like 11MB average speed really bad then?

no its really quite fast and more than enough for moderat home use.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I would strongly advise steering clear of Talk Talk. Worst customer service ever! Takes an age to get any issues resolved.

This with bells on. They are cheap bcs they cut corners on their back lines staff. Call centre in India that employs people with a very basic understanding of English. Terrible on every level. Left them to go to Virgin. Pay more but at least it works and is reliable and Can understand the person on the phone.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
no its really quite fast and more than enough for moderat home use.

I have been offered this as I am a vodafone customer, is this a good deal??
35 Mbps Average Speed
Superfast 1
This bundle costs
£20
/month
Line rental £0

The bundle also includes

Ultimate Broadband Guarantee 25Mbps or money off until its fixed.
Unlimited broadband usage
Home phone included
6 months' FREE F-Secure SAFE anti-virus software

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
35 Mbps Average Speed
Superfast 1
This bundle costs
£20
/month
Line rental £0

The bundle also includes

Home phone included

no idea but bump

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
35 Mbps Average Speed
Superfast 1
This bundle costs
£20
/month
Line rental £0

The bundle also includes

Home phone included

Yes that's a pretty good deal , I would go for it in your situation if it includes line rental which is normally that alone per month

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Take into account that you need to pay BT line rental which is £17 per month; many providers now include that in the monthly cost.

I would recommend fibre broadband as it is much faster and very reliable in my experience.

We have broadband with SSE (Southern Electric)- they do fibre broadband including line rental for £23, so you are only paying £6 for broadband on top of the £17 BT line rental charge.

Seems like a good deal, and we have had very good service from them with consistently high speeds. There may be cheaper deals around, but some providers seem to get bad reviews for customer service and some reduce broadband speeds at peak times.

Reduce broadband speeds you say? It would be virtually impossible to do that here, as locally our broadband speed is notoriously slow. We don't even have fibre hbre here yet.

Then again living in Cowfold is akin to living in Victorian England is some ways, we don't even have a gas supply to the village.

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
35 Mbps Average Speed
Superfast 1
This bundle costs
£20
/month
Line rental £0

The bundle also includes

Home phone included

I'm about to move away from Talk Talk, they are shite... I'm with Vodafone and have been made the same offer. Sounds good to me so I think this is where I will go. My current average speed is 20mps, fast enough for what I do, will download a film in HD in about 5 mins....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh I was just about to ask if 2-5 Mbs is ok as I'm currently trying to switch to the cheapest deal I can get him hands on.
Seemingly the answer is no - back to the drawing board.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
***IDIOT AT WORK***

My current broadband rate, after a test is 36.38mb.
For that I pay £43.00 pm, (having been shafted by BT)

I'm now looking at deals that are £12-£17 pm, but they have advertised speeds of 11mb. (2-5 Mb/sec).

Now for the dumb bit

Will we in a normal house (computer/phones/Firestick TV/PS4 etc) really notice the drop off verses a saving of nearly £400.

OH and TalkTalk have a 36mb deal for £23 pm, is that my happy medium despite you all calling them shite?

Ta muchly

Luddite Stat.

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
***IDIOT AT WORK***

I'm now looking at deals that are £12-£17 pm, but they have advertised speeds of 11mb. (2-5 Mb/sec).

Now for the dumb bit

Will we in a normal house (computer/phones/Firestick TV/PS4 etc) really notice the drop off verses a saving of nearly £400.

OH and TalkTalk have a 36mb deal for £23 pm, is that my happy medium despite you all calling them shite?

Ta muchly

Luddite Stat.

The lower speeds will probably not be fibre but standard adsl. I think you will notice a difference.

Personally would go for the Talk talk up to 36mb. TT arent that bad once you get past the usual call centre script idiots. I have been with them for 18 months had 1 issue and had a new router and talk talk enginerr next day to fit it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The lower speeds will probably not be fibre but standard adsl. I think you will notice a difference.

Personally would go for the Talk talk up to 36mb. TT arent that bad once you get past the usual call centre script idiots. I have been with them for 18 months had 1 issue and had a new router and talk talk enginerr next day to fit it.

Thanks.

Edit - The cheeky buggers.
I've just reset the Uswitch filter from 'price low-high' to 'speed high to low', and Talk Talk have 62mb for £25.45.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Avoid Plusnet at all costs.

One of their big selling points is a UK based call centre. They neglect to mention their service is so woefully shit that you'll be on the phone to them every couple of months.

Aren't they Yorkshire, rather negating the UK based aspect?

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
***IDIOT AT WORK***

Now for the dumb bit

Ta muchly

Luddite Stat.

I’d give BT a ring. You should get a deal £29 for a faster service at 50mb. Ask what deals they have for sport, they are always offering deals on them.
Sky should be a tad cheaper for same rate. You can play one off against the other.
If you have lots of people using devices in house I would not go slower as each person takes up part of the bandwidth. BT will have a retention team that will offer better deals as long as they know you are serious in switching.

The other thing to recognise is the speeds advertised are the fastest. In reality they are slower especially the further you are away from the exchange.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just a quick question from a Lazy barsteward.

The new TalkTalk router has arrived and I'll be switching over tomorrow.

As all the cables look the same, can I just disconnect the BT router and plug those cables into the back of the new router?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here