Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Broadband at Home

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Hi All,
Have hunted to see if this subject was on but could not find anything.

Moved in to the flat over the weekend.

Realised I have not got a Scooby Doo what is the best broadband to have.

Main usage is for my daughter to have access to the Internet to help her study for her up and coming GCSE's.

Not to fussed about the sports channels, (go to the pub) it seems to be a minefield what one is best for me.

Don't want to be paying fortunes, like £40 or £50 per month etc just for broadband.

Any help or pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
Hi All,
Have hunted to see if this subject was on but could not find anything.

Moved in to the flat over the weekend.

Realised I have not got a Scooby Doo what is the best broadband to have.

Main usage is for my daughter to have access to the Internet to help her study for her up and coming GCSE's.

Not to fussed about the sports channels, (go to the pub) it seems to be a minefield what one is best for me.

Don't want to be paying fortunes, like £40 or £50 per month etc just for broadband.

Any help or pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

if your just looking for no frills broadband go to uswitch as they have plenty of options and some come with cashback, i got plusnet for £18.99 and £75 cashback a couple of months back

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
if your just looking for no frills broadband go to uswitch as they have plenty of options and some come with cashback, i got plusnet for £18.99 and £75 cashback a couple of months back

Great will have a look thanks.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008

What is a good speed to have? Dont't want her sat there for hours downloading previous paper etc?

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Take into account that you need to pay BT line rental which is £17 per month; many providers now include that in the monthly cost.

I would recommend fibre broadband as it is much faster and very reliable in my experience.

We have broadband with SSE (Southern Electric)- they do fibre broadband including line rental for £23, so you are only paying £6 for broadband on top of the £17 BT line rental charge.

Seems like a good deal, and we have had very good service from them with consistently high speeds. There may be cheaper deals around, but some providers seem to get bad reviews for customer service and some reduce broadband speeds at peak times.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Take into account that you need to pay BT line rental which is £17 per month; many providers now include that in the monthly cost.

I would recommend fibre broadband as it is much faster and very reliable in my experience.

We have broadband with SSE (Southern Electric)- they do fibre broadband including line rental for £23, so you are only paying £6 for broadband on top of the £17 BT line rental charge.

Seems like a good deal, and we have had very good service from them with consistently high speeds. There may be cheaper deals around, but some providers seem to get bad reviews for customer service and some reduce broadband speeds at peak times.

Is that this one??
https://www.sse.co.uk/phone-and-bro...c_id=ics|uswitch|uswitch_phone_and_broadband|

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
shouldn't pay more than £30-35 inc line rental, shop around for the best cashback or introduction deals. note if you are renting you may have to keep to the existing line, limiting your options. so may be worth looking for a mobile set up with cheapo sim/phone deal and create wifi hotspot.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
shouldn't pay more than £30-35 inc line rental, shop around for the best cashback or introduction deals. note if you are renting you may have to keep to the existing line, limiting your options. so may be worth looking for a mobile set up with cheapo sim/phone deal and create wifi hotspot.

Do I ask the previous tenants for that information? I'm sounding dim, I've never rented before.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I'll throw this into the ring.....

If your daughter has a modern phone that can act as a 'personal hotspot' then you can connect that to a computer and access the internet.

Example: 3 are doing 100GB per month, Unlimited texts, minutes for £20 per month 12 month contract. Unlimited everything is £27.

Obviously it depends if you can get a decent signal, but you are allowed to try at home.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I have 200mbps from Virgin media at home and I don't have to have a phone line or line rental. I pay £25 a month for just the internet. Not sure if they do it in you area. They can be shit if you have issues, but 90% of the time mine is fine.

mickybha

Jan 2, 2010
There are two main types of "superfast" fibre broadband in the UK; FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) and FTTP (fibre to the premises):

FTTP is the fastest type of broadband service currently available, because your service runs through fibre optic cables right up to your property and there is none of the interference of older copper wires to worry about. This type of fibre connection does not require a landline to work. The only UK provider currently able to offer it is Virgin Media, who's cable broadband service delivers up to 152Mb speeds on its fastest package.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
There are two main types of "superfast" fibre broadband in the UK; FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) and FTTP (fibre to the premises):

FTTP is the fastest type of broadband service currently available, because your service runs through fibre optic cables right up to your property and there is none of the interference of older copper wires to worry about. This type of fibre connection does not require a landline to work. The only UK provider currently able to offer it is Virgin Media, who's cable broadband service delivers up to 152Mb speeds on its fastest package.

I have FTTP through BT and speed is 300Mb+. It was an option due to our distance from the exchange (we are miles away) and part of the Superfast Cymru initiative.

To say it is an improvement on our previous 1Mb broadband is an understatement!!

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I have 200mbps from Virgin media at home and I don't have to have a phone line or line rental. I pay £25 a month for just the internet. Not sure if they do it in you area. They can be shit if you have issues, but 90% of the time mine is fine.

200mbps is surely more than adequate for the average punter, whatever their streaming habits. We get between 60 - 70 which is more than enough.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

Nice price, currently £45 per month on their website. How come you got a decent price?

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
I have FTTP through BT and speed is 300Mb+. It was an option due to our distance from the exchange (we are miles away) and part of the Superfast Cymru initiative.

To say it is an improvement on our previous 1Mb broadband is an understatement!!

So is something like 11MB average speed really bad then?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here