Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gazza charged with sexual assault...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sad. The lad seems to have lost it. No sexual assault should be taken lightly, but 'touching'? - yes, distressing if unwelcome, but it does sound like the lower end of sexual assaults. Just because he is famous, I hope whatever punishment is handed out (if he is found guilty) isn't over the top for the crime.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Sad. The lad seems to have lost it. No sexual assault should be taken lightly, but 'touching'? - yes, distressing if unwelcome, but it does sound like the lower end of sexual assaults. Just because he is famous, I hope whatever punishment is handed out (if he is found guilty) isn't over the top for the crime.

Sorry, got to disagree strongly with that. He’s not been charged just because he’s famous, instead you have only read about it because he is famous!

I am not even sure I would recognise PG now such has his appearance changed, so not sure the victim would even know who he was!

It’s an all to familiar sad spiral of inevitability, played out in front of the media, that just isn’t going to end well...

As for the sentencing, judges can’t go over the top because he’s famous, their are statutes and pre-determined maximum length of sentence for each offence, taking into account all aggravating factors, of which being famous isn’t one of them!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sorry, got to disagree strongly with that. He’s not been charged just because he’s famous, instead you have only read about it because he is famous!

Of course he hasn't been charged because he's famous, and I never said that. You seem to have misread my post.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
According to his twitter, he sat down next to a woman and gave her a ‘peck on the cheek’ because someone else had just called her a fat cow.

Despite his protests, you simply can’t do that.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Annoys me all this clamour to try people for historical crimes. It was back in August for heaven's sake.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
It seems that when God (or whoever/whatever) dishes out phenomenal talent of the type the rest of us can only dream about, He (She/It) counter-balances this by also dishing out more than a fair share of human frailty. George Best was another example. This is not to say that all superbly gifted sportsmen/women are like this, obviously they're not, it's just that Gazza was too weak to handle the success and further weakened himself by shipping vast amounts of alcohol. We're witnessing a very sad human story being played out in the full glare of the media. Tragic for all concerned including of course the woman concerned in an incident she never expected nor invited.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It seems that when God (or whoever/whatever) dishes out phenomenal talent of the type the rest of us can only dream about, He (She/It) counter-balances this by also dishing out more than a fair share of human frailty. George Best was another example. This is not to say that all superbly gifted sportsmen/women are like this, obviously they're not, it's just that Gazza was too weak to handle the success and further weakened himself by shipping vast amounts of alcohol. We're witnessing a very sad human story being played out in the full glare of the media. Tragic for all concerned including of course the woman concerned in an incident she never expected nor invited.

I agree with all of that. I wish I could be more sympathetic towards him, but the way he's treated his family and involved other innocents (such as this woman) has been inexcusable.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
I agree with all of that. I wish I could be more sympathetic towards him, but the way he's treated his family and involved other innocents (such as this woman) has been inexcusable.

Absolutely. As you say, it's not just Gazza, it's all the people he drags down with him you've got to feel sorry for. Many of them have tried to help him only to be let down time and again.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

There's more to it than just the alcohol. From what I've read and seen in documentaries about him I gather that he's had issues since he was a kid. The alcohol and drug abuse (painkillers, anti depressants etc) is an escape from the real problems rather than the cause. The fact he was talented and became famous was just like tipping petrol on an already burning fire.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
There's more to it than just the alcohol. From what I've read and seen in documentaries about him I gather that he's had issues since he was a kid. The alcohol and drug abuse (painkillers, anti depressants etc) is an escape from the real problems rather than the cause. The fact he was talented and became famous was just like tipping petrol on an already burning fire.
Yes, he was bulimic as a kid, for example.

The 1990s at the height of his fame was a time when footballers became instant millionaires and the infrastructure just wasn't there in football to support people with money and time on their hands.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle

That's a good point. I suppose we'll never really know the underlying cause - perhaps Gazza himself is unable to pin it down.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

He's got Bi-Polar Disorder with a concurrent alcohol problem. I'm not condoning what he's done, and he's done a lot of things, but he's a very vulnerable adult and his erratic behaviour is an unfortunate consequence.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

If he really did just give her a peck on the cheek then I'm not sure I'd class that as 'tragic' for the woman concerned.

I'd imagine there's probably more to this story though.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If he really did just give her a peck on the cheek then I'm not sure I'd class that as 'tragic' for the woman concerned.

Well I can't imagine anyone would press charges of sexual assault based on one unsolicited peck on the cheek, surely?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Well I can't imagine anyone would press charges of sexual assault based on one unsolicited peck on the cheek, surely?

I'm 100% sure that there are people out there that would.

That's not to say this is the case here though, obviously.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
According to his twitter, he sat down next to a woman and gave her a ‘peck on the cheek’ because someone else had just called her a fat cow.

Despite his protests, you simply can’t do that.

DEFINITELY more to this story, I would say...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here