Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Which ex-England star(s) are jealous of the current England group's success?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Ok. The team that started today’s game was not our strongest and was more like a side you’d see for a friendly. This was a competitive match and so you should put out the strongest line up.

A previous post was that Southgate was doing an excellent job. My view is that he isn’t as good as some people think.

He should be getting results as the squad he has now is the strongest for at least a generation. We shouldn’t have to come back from one down against a Croatian team who were knackered from the game on a Thursday.

Getting to the semis was great, however in context of how crap everyone else was just how good a result was it ?

He is however a breath of fresh air compared to the last four or five England managers.

I don't think I've ever read a post with so much wrong in it. That's some acheivement on here.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Ok. The team that started today’s game was not our strongest and was more like a side you’d see for a friendly. This was a competitive match and so you should put out the strongest line up.

A previous post was that Southgate was doing an excellent job. My view is that he isn’t as good as some people think.

He should be getting results as the squad he has now is the strongest for at least a generation. We shouldn’t have to come back from one down against a Croatian team who were knackered from the game on a Thursday.

Getting to the semis was great, however in context of how crap everyone else was just how good a result was it ?

He is however a breath of fresh air compared to the last four or five England managers.

Jesus, definitely a glass half-empty kind of guy, aren't you? Probably just as well that you're not Belgian tonight.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
What success? They haven't won anything.

If your comment is serious and you think ‘success’ is only based on trophies then I give up...! Try telling that to an FA Cup giant killing team. This England team has been hugely successful in so many ways, but sadly some people always like to be negative and find fault - it’s almost as if us doing well is an annoyance!

Balls, I should have just said I stopped reading at ‘they’.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
This team actually plays like a team unlike the talented individuals in the 'Golden Generation' that both suffered from unsuccessful national managers (e.g. Keegan, McClaren, Hodgsen), and who also allowed club parochial rivalries to affect the dynamics in the national set up.

Ferdinand, Gerrard and Lampard threw some light on the club v country issues in this from a year ago. One wonders with the benefit of hindsight what they could have done with this realisation that the national shirt should always be more seen as more important than the particular colour of the club shirt.

It's a marked contrast with what Southgate is trying to do with this young England side.

And, purely looking at the results, what he's doing is proving successful.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Jesus, definitely a glass half-empty kind of guy, aren't you? Probably just as well that you're not Belgian tonight.

I’m actually very much glass half full. I just think a bit of perspective is needed.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Quite a bit in the press today from Wayne Rooney about how some ex-England players are jealous of the current crop.

“I know there are some ex-players who I’ve spoken to who can’t come to terms with England doing well,” Rooney said. “That is wrong. I’m not like that. I’m a fan now. I want England to do well. I am proud to have played for England so many times and I always have been. I’ve had my time. I am happy with what I’ve contributed to the national team and I look forward now to the next few years and watching this team progress.”

Who do you think they are?

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...gue-gareth-southgate-ex-players-a8639626.html

I'd be jealous. Lower expectations from the press and fans, opportunities for other players, and deserved getting praise for a fantastic world cup. Its just a much more realistic and nicer setup (it seems) than the circus that's preceded it since, really the 90s.

A bit of envy/jealousy isnt necessarily a bad thing if you are graceful with it

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If your comment is serious and you think ‘success’ is only based on trophies then I give up...! Try telling that to an FA Cup giant killing team. This England team has been hugely successful in so many ways, but sadly some people always like to be negative and find fault - it’s almost as if us doing well is an annoyance!

Balls, I should have just said I stopped reading at ‘they’.

Great post and “they” reveals all.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Do you actually think that? (I know you arent saying it wasnt a really good world cup, and you are just talking about the quality, it wasnt the worst EVER though was it?)

In terms of entertainment it was great, but who really showed up and played well? Normally there are three/four teams that are excellent, not the case in the last World Cup. we were brilliant and crap in equal measures.

If we had lost yesterday I suspect the attitude to Southgate would have been somewhat less positive. My point was that the team he started with wasn’t the right one. That he changed it speaks much of his ability however I’m still not convinced.

The one thing that can be said is that watching England play under Southgate is a massive improvement on previous managers. Refit does need to go to Southgate but personally I think it is down to players that we now have. The situation will only get better as more of the u17/u19 come through.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
UEFA wouldbt allow him in the pitch unless he wore the kit
That doesn't make any sense. There was no point UEFA wanting him in his kit, since he'd been banned for the match anyway. And he was on the pitch after the match, when physios, coaches etc were all allowed on the pitch in whatever clothes they were wearing.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
One has got to be Ashley Cole. MLS pal of Rooney, thought he was the dog's bollocks throughout his career, and still has an ego to rival Zlatan by all accounts.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Carlton Palmer.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here