Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jose Mourinho planning SHOCK move for Lewis Dunk...

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Out of curiosity, if Dunky went to United for a good fee it goes without saying we’d need to replace him. So just wondered what people’s views would be on whether we should target Chris Smalling as part of the deal as he is clearly out of favour at United and has heaps of experience or whether we make Balogun our first choice CB alongside Duffy and seek a less experienced CB than Smalling as a replacement ?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Out of curiosity, if Dunky went to United for a good fee it goes without saying we’d need to replace him. So just wondered what people’s views would be on whether we should target Chris Smalling as part of the deal as he is clearly out of favour at United and has heaps of experience or whether we make Balogun our first choice CB alongside Duffy and seek a less experienced CB than Smalling as a replacement ?

One small flaw in that otherwise excellent plan, Smalling is gash.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
1. If Dunk goes to Manure, he'll end up an automaton, like the rest of that team.
2. Anyway Mourinho will probably get sacked, another coach comes in, may not like Dunk, and bring in their own types.
3. Note to Lewis Dunk, stay where you are, you've got Sussex supporting you, biggest fan base in the UK :thumbsup:

Would any of that compensate for a doubling of wages for him?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Anyone replacing Dunk - and I'm fairly sure he will go over the summer - will not be a player currently earning Manchester United level wages.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
1. If Dunk goes to Manure, he'll end up an automaton, like the rest of that team.
2. Anyway Mourinho will probably get sacked, another coach comes in, may not like Dunk, and bring in their own types.
3. Note to Lewis Dunk, stay where you are, you've got Sussex supporting you, biggest fan base in the UK :thumbsup:

Doubling his pay, at least and playing for arguably the biggest club in the world.

You could expand your list to 1,000 items - he'd still be off.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Doubling his pay, at least and playing for arguably the biggest club in the world.

You could expand your list to 1,000 items - he'd still be off.

Trust you to go and ruin my post, I was looking through Bloom tinted glasses :lolol::rolleyes:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Probably not, but at least he'll have loyal fans that are actually from the area!

Do these same fans make a great deal of difference to him and his standard of life and future etc? I would think that his only consideration could possibly be will I play every week and do I want to play every week.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Anyone replacing Dunk - and I'm fairly sure he will go over the summer - will not be a player currently earning Manchester United level wages.

Being devils advocate, let’s say for example we could get Smalling plus £20m for Dunk, this does give the potential that we could afford the additional wages for Smalling ? (Bearing in mind Dunky is probably one of our higher wage earners at the moment since signing his latest contract)

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Obviously that is down to personal opinion, but is he really that bad compared to any other CB that could realistically be on our radar ? I would suggest not.

My opinion would be, if Dunk were to stop the building works on the new gaff, then have Balogan come straight in then look for a young, up & coming replacement rather than someone being moved on by their existing club and will be earning big bucks.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
We have to be very careful in this situation. We have spent £110m since we got in the Premier League, and sold only roughly £10m of players. I think many fans and clubs think that just because we have huge amount of money coming in then we can buy loads and not sell.

We are likely to make a loss on Locadia, Suttner. and Schelotto that run into millions of pounds, but players like Ryan and Gross we are likely to make a profit that run into millions .

Dunk is another player who we can make millions on. Although I doubt Man Utd is willing to splash the cash on him, I can see teams like Everton and Leicester being interested, and if they meet our valuation then we should let him go.

I think Balogun showed that he could step into Dunks' boots and I think Ben White has the potential and if he becomes 3rd or 4th choice then I wouldn't be against it.

Ryan is another player that I would listen to offers for but in the Summer and not January and only if the offer is very much in our favour. as I think Walton is nearly ready for us.

You took all the credibility out of any of your opinions when you said 'Ryan is another player I would listen to offers for'. :ffsparr:

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Being devils advocate, let’s say for example we could get Smalling plus £20m for Dunk, this does give the potential that we could afford the additional wages for Smalling ? (Bearing in mind Dunky is probably one of our higher wage earners at the moment since signing his latest contract)

Sorry. I don't understand why we would have any interest in Smalling - he doesn't fit the template that our recruitment team go after and he's not a player that will improve. With the amount of planning and pre-work they do, I'm sure Winstanley and co already have a list of players they would be interested in as a replacement should Dunk or any of our other players leave.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Balogan seems a suitable replacement. If it’s a very good deal I’d take the money.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Sorry. I don't understand why we would have any interest in Smalling - he doesn't fit the template that our recruitment team go after and he's not a player that will improve. With the amount of planning and pre-work they do, I'm sure Winstanley and co already have a list of players they would be interested in as a replacement should Dunk or any of our other players leave.

I don’t disagree with you, just wanted to put this thought out there to seek the views of others. The only comment I would make is that it would be good to see us sign the odd established player with PL experience rather than always going for a relative unknown that needs time to settle into this league.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I don’t disagree with you, just wanted to put this thought out there to seek the views of others. The only comment I would make is that it would be good to see us sign the odd established player with PL experience rather than always going for a relative unknown that needs time to settle into this league.

With Duffy/Balogan as starters, would it make sense to have the likes of Smalling on the bench at £100k p/w?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Exactly. Balogun is way better than Smalling

Smalling is one of the most over-rated players in the Premier League. Play Balogun alongside Duffy with Burn and White as useful understudies and spend the money where it's needed. In central midfield and up front.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here