Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jose Mourinho planning SHOCK move for Lewis Dunk...

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Dan Burn arrive from Wigan in January to replace the Old Trafford-bound Dunk? I'm sure we can all breathe easier if so.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Really don't understand this selling the best players line. If we want to progress we need to keep our best and attract better players in those positions where we are weakest. Yes we could make a lot of money but equally we could spent it on a replacement who is crap

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I don't believe we will sell any of our top players in the Winter window, too many risks associated with that as we won'tr have enough points on the board to survive.

However, I can see one or possibly two leaving in the summer unfortunately for big money. Reason being is that we don't want to go down the Palace route on continually spending money without any money coming in. You'll end up with a high wage bill which the Prem Money eventually won't be able to cover. We've got some wiggle room at the moment but eventually we'll have to sell to make room for new signings.

Doubling his pay, at least and playing for arguably the biggest club in the world.

Being the decent bloke he is, i doubt Bloom would block Dunk moving to a top six club if they got a good price (£35-40m) and it meant Dunky getting a massive pay-rise

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Really don't understand this selling the best players line. If we want to progress we need to keep our best and attract better players in those positions where we are weakest. Yes we could make a lot of money but equally we could spent it on a replacement who is crap
At the end of the day money talks, and every player has their price.

el punal

I was relieved to read at the end there that Southampton are interested. It gives the piece a greater air of incredulity.

Anyone leaving us for them would need their head examined.

Strange that, isn’t it? For the whole of my football watching lifetime Southampton have always lauded it over us (apart from 2010/11 when they couldn’t keep up!). Now the boot is on the other foot, even the most die hard Saints fans are acknowledging that both us and Bournemouth are ahead of them in the pecking order - long may that continue.

el punal

Too true. Living here in Southampton, what you describe is what is happening with Saints and the natives are not happy. Many of their quality players have been sold on to be replaced by inferior models. Their famous academy is also in the doldrums and not producing the gems of the past. It certainly is a club in turmoil which seems to be run with no obvious purpose or direction and it shows both on the pitch and off it.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I think sales are not just inevitable but also desirable to a degree. In order to attract the quality of player we need to progress we need to be able to offer them progression if their performances warrant it plus if we can do it while increasing our funds for new players its a win win. We are not going to suddenly propel ourselves towards the top 6 without either a massive injection of cash or buying and selling well and gradually improving the squad. Its not easy and mistakes will be made along the way, but if the money is reinvested into the squad it is possible, if rather difficult. Spurs bridged the gap between their budget and the other big clubs by buying and selling well and its a model we should be aiming for although on a smaller level obviously. Squad churn is essential to improve results IMO If we can sell 2/3 players for big money and use that plus our usual spend we could and I stress could improve our team considerably, of course we could waste it on crap too...

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Being the decent bloke he is, i doubt Bloom would block Dunk moving to a top six club if they got a good price (£35-40m) and it meant Dunky getting a massive pay-rise

Let's be honest, we wouldn't really have much say in it as long as the valuation was met. Player power and all that if the club was stalling on a dream move for him.

I'm sure it won't ever come to that, but the players/agents hold the cards.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I think you really need to weigh up the needs of the club AND the player. Stephens was rightly prevented from joining Burnley because as far as we were concerned, Burnley were only a year ahead of where we wanted to be. However, at a certain point, you have to look at it and if one of the Champions League clubs came in, are we really going to stubbornly hold a player back from playing at the very highest level.

Other clubs have shown there is a real balance to be struck between how easy you let players leave, rewarding players with a move who have done their time with you and the compensation does enable you to reinvest, or hold them to contracts against their wishes / aspirations. It's easy to get this wrong and create a whole lot of friction. If West Brom could replay their Berinho saga again, is anyone telling me they're not taking the big money offer every single time in hindsight!?

Dunk though, I wouldn't want us to get into some unseemly contractual falling out with him. If he really wanted to go and you could see he'd get Champions League, chance at the top honours, further international recognition, I can't see us blocking his way really if the offer was big enough. I think that is part of football for us as a lower competing PL side, doesn't mean we can't still progress if we get the balance right.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think you really need to weigh up the needs of the club AND the player. Stephens was rightly prevented from joining Burnley because as far as we were concerned, Burnley were only a year ahead of where we wanted to be. However, at a certain point, you have to look at it and if one of the Champions League clubs came in, are we really going to stubbornly hold a player back from playing at the very highest level.

Other clubs have shown there is a real balance to be struck between how easy you let players leave, rewarding players with a move who have done their time with you and the compensation does enable you to reinvest, or hold them to contracts against their wishes / aspirations. It's easy to get this wrong and create a whole lot of friction. If West Brom could replay their Berinho saga again, is anyone telling me they're not taking the big money offer every single time in hindsight!?

Dunk though, I wouldn't want us to get into some unseemly contractual falling out with him. If he really wanted to go and you could see he'd get Champions League, chance at the top honours, further international recognition, I can't see us blocking his way really if the offer was big enough. I think that is part of football for us as a lower competing PL side, doesn't mean we can't still progress if we get the balance right.

Came here to write almost exactly this, only it would've had worse spelling, grammar and sentence structure. So ta.

Last edited:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
If Dunk says he wants to go and he has outgrown us then of course by all means let him go and take the most money. What I am exasperated by is people who revel in touting our best players and assuming we can't keep them.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Smalling is one of the most over-rated players in the Premier League. Play Balogun alongside Duffy with Burn and White as useful understudies and spend the money where it's needed. In central midfield and up front.

Erm If burn is our third choice centre back, we might as well wait until the championship season starts. He’s a donkey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here