Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Does Everyone Hate the English?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Everyone does hate the English, including the English themselves who’ve been made to feel this way because it’s our fault for everything and open season on being anti-English; otherwise known as racism when applied other nationalities. Especially if your parents are from another country in which case despite being raised here and enjoying all the benefits, you continually identify with your parental heritage and dislike all things English...until we got to the WC semi-final, then such people couldn’t wait to hop Air Hypocritski to Moscow and claim alligence to the 3 Lions and all things English. So yes, everyone does hate the English but bring it on...they’re only jealous ;)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Leave voters must hate the English.
Scotch only like themselves or whoever is playing against the English for 90 minutes.

1) Leave voters love the English, love Europeans, hate the EU.
2) Scotch is a drink.

1) Whevs.
2) Yes, I know. I used it rather than Scots as I find it funny.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
No mention of the Greeks yet. Been a few years, but me and Mrs SS were regular visitors to Greece in the 80's and 90's and felt very welcomed and, despite their incredibly laid-back culture, always gave the impression they would do anything they could to ensure you were well looked after.

When I'm a Brit abroad, I'd like to think the locals have a bit of respect - Englishmen, a fighting nation, you don't mess with the British - Pomp and circumstance, etc. Nowadays, I think they look down on us with contempt - this is supported by Eurovision Song Contest outcomes of the last 15-20 years. Britain ain't what is was ....

I'm fairly sure that's the first and last time I'll see pomp and circumstance in the same sentence as Brits abroad.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Spot on!

"Leave voters must hate the English" is probably the most stupid comment of the day - a considerable majority of the English voted for Brexit! Remain wouldn't have got anywhere near as close as it did had it not been for the Scots and Irish (along with very cosmopolitan London) voting for it.
Yeh, we love Europeans, love Europe, don't like the EU. Hard to see why some people just can't see that.

Probably because you have pretty much destroyed the UK?

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Dutch men love an 'English Rose', which I found rather incomprehensible when I lived over there - 'grass is greener' I suppose.

The Dutch generally like The English and many aspects of our culture (music and TV shows especially).

New Zealanders seem to get on well with us too.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
That’s interesting. I worked for a while in a very rural part of southern France..in the Biarritz hinterland, on farms with a lot of young Europeans and French kids.

We got on really well with all, but I remember going into a bar once filled with old guys who absolutely despised us.

I got chatting to the owner and he explained that this area was staunch Vichy and some of these old guys hated the brits for sinking the French fleet in harbour when they refused to sail and join with the Royal Navy and preferred to take their chances with the Nazis.

These guys were part of the hated Milice! A proper bunch of Nazis.

I was amazed to find this in modern France...but when I got back and chatted to my Grandad he told me how the French in Algiers spat on the tommies when we liberated them. It’s weird isn’t it. History is alive.

Biarritz is in the Basque territory too, so different to most other parts of France. We have friends that moved there, he’s English and his wife French. He couldn’t get a job locally, as being English didn’t help, so had to work in Paris.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Only if you're a child.

Yes, well I used the phrase "approach with caution" in more of a tongue in cheek fashion than you have taken it. You are rather a literal character. That aside, I have spent a LOT of time in Northern Ireland, esp Belfast, from the day I was born. My Mother was a nurse on the Bogside, my Great Uncle was the Dean of Belfast, My Grandfather a Canon in Belfast Cathedral, all my maternal family live in Belfast and other areas of N.I
Do forgive me but given your history of spouting utter rhubarb on here, I'll go with my own extensive experience thanks. From the old tensions that unsurprisingly rise to the surface when alcohol flows (whatever you believe, you really do need to be aware of who you are talking to in a lot of pubs in Belfast) to the present day spotty youths convening on street corners to wave the British flag and antagonise the locals.
In England you' likely be okay.
Some parts of Belfast are a different story. Someone with a gob like yours could find themselves in very hot water.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
That’s interesting. I worked for a while in a very rural part of southern France..in the Biarritz hinterland, on farms with a lot of young Europeans and French kids.

We got on really well with all, but I remember going into a bar once filled with old guys who absolutely despised us.

I got chatting to the owner and he explained that this area was staunch Vichy and some of these old guys hated the brits for sinking the French fleet in harbour when they refused to sail and join with the Royal Navy and preferred to take their chances with the Nazis.

These guys were part of the hated Milice! A proper bunch of Nazis.

I was amazed to find this in modern France...but when I got back and chatted to my Grandad he told me how the French in Algiers spat on the tommies when we liberated them. It’s weird isn’t it. History is alive.

one thing I will say about modern day France

there is a very unhealthy attitude towards old colonial territories

ignorantly labelled arabs (Tunisians,Algerians & Moroccans)

Algeria in particular is a very dark side of French history,as is the 2nd World War

Algeria was part of France right up until 1962

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
If I have ever been abroad I always try to be polite and respectful of where ever I go. Seems to work quite well.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
If I have ever been abroad I always try to be polite and respectful of where ever I go. Seems to work quite well.

Yes, surely this is key.if you make the effort, then the vast majority will meet you half way, and that has always been my experience. Of course, there will always be exceptions, and on occasion you will meet someone with a grudge, but this is unlikely.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Spot on!

Hard to see why some people just can't see that.

Probably the racist and xenophobic bile spewing from the mouths of some (not all) prominent Brexit campaigners and pretty much every Brexit supporter I've seen interviewed on telly.

Last edited:

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
On my travels, which aren't that impressive, my views are:

Spanish: really don't like us.
Italians: got on well with most of them, but they all thought I was German for some bizarre reason, so they may hate the English for all I know.
Greek: lovely people, always welcoming.
Czech: lovely people, stunning women and beautiful country. Loved us.
Latvians: didn't get a single smile from anyone, most miserable race of people I've ever met. Didn't like me and the feeling was very much mutual.
Barbadians: pretty country, friendly people and loved the English.
Slovakians: dated a couple, dirty girls, love English.
Martinique: dated a girl for a few years, she was lovely and liked the English.
American: love the English accent, pretty sure they want to be us.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yes, surely this is key.if you make the effort, then the vast majority will meet you half way, and that has always been my experience. Of course, there will always be exceptions, and on occasion you will meet someone with a grudge, but this is unlikely.

My worst experience was with a pal on a fishing holiday in West Wales, near Fishguard. he said there was a local pub which him and his family though was quite nice when they stopped their in the summer, we turned up about 10.00 on a Friday night after a long drive. From outside you could hear the laughter and chatter going on inside..... we opened the door and walked in and utter silence descended for about 10 seconds … we heard something like "ahwl dalla tak sher bang ghoule….. ****in English " and slowly the pub went back to normal.

They took to us over a week or so but there was always an undercurrent of nastiness, trouble is, the Welsh find it difficult to swear in their own language so you do pick up the jist pretty quick !

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yes, well I used the phrase "approach with caution" in more of a tongue in cheek fashion than you have taken it. You are rather a literal character. That aside, I have spent a LOT of time in Northern Ireland, esp Belfast, from the day I was born. My Mother was a nurse on the Bogside, my Great Uncle was the Dean of Belfast, My Grandfather a Canon in Belfast Cathedral, all my maternal family live in Belfast and other areas of N.I
Do forgive me but given your history of spouting utter rhubarb on here, I'll go with my own extensive experience thanks. From the old tensions that unsurprisingly rise to the surface when alcohol flows (whatever you believe, you really do need to be aware of who you are talking to in a lot of pubs in Belfast) to the present day spotty youths convening on street corners to wave the British flag and antagonise the locals.
In England you' likely be okay.
Some parts of Belfast are a different story. Someone with a gob like yours could find themselves in very hot water.

Wise words, lots of bad history out there.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
My worst experience was with a pal on a fishing holiday in West Wales, near Fishguard. he said there was a local pub which him and his family though was quite nice when they stopped their in the summer, we turned up about 10.00 on a Friday night after a long drive. From outside you could hear the laughter and chatter going on inside..... we opened the door and walked in and utter silence descended for about 10 seconds … we heard something like "ahwl dalla tak sher bang ghoule….. ****in English " and slowly the pub went back to normal.

They took to us over a week or so but there was always an undercurrent of nastiness, trouble is, the Welsh find it difficult to swear in their own language so you do pick up the jist pretty quick !

Sadly, it will always happen and I don't think you are the first to make that observation about some elements in Wales.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here