Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Does Everyone Hate the English?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You buy their music? I’m intrigued...do you promote them in the UK.?

No I mean I have bought every CD they have evere released. Absolutely love the litte Quebecois weasels.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I seem to be getting along nicely with these lovelies, though, albeit perhaps because I buy their music:

I think that once upon a time I might have really liked that. Now? ................. hmmm.

Wouldn't it be nice to get back to the days when we what was on offer was just the music without the video (there's only so many hours in the day I can drive round in my car listening - just listening - to music!)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
When someone with more experience than you tells you something, use it as a chance for education.
WTF are you talking about? I never questioned your advice on Ireland. Like I said, you got whooshed.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
WTF are you talking about? I never questioned your advice on Ireland. Like I said, you got whooshed.

Okay, whooshed how? Anyway, I’m deliberately being a bit pompous, I apologise. I’m mischevious tonight. But I still don’t get how I was whooshed.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Okay, whooshed how?
I was just making a little joke about Catholic priests and their treatment of children. I wasn't questioning your experiences of Ireland.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I was just making a little joke about Catholic priests and their treatment of children. I wasn't questioning your experiences of Ireland.

I see. Probably would have hit home if I’d actually been talking about priests. But yeah I see what you were trying to do.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I see. Probably would have hit home if I’d actually been talking about priests. But yeah I see what you were trying to do.
I wasn't trying to be clever, just read a comment about Catholics and thought of the priests, and made a little joke at the priests' expense. Didn't really expect any more from it.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I have never had any problems either. But all my family are Irish. I have an English accent though so still have to be careful what pubs I go into in and around Belfast and parts of Derry. Louth is just below the political border so it can be dodgy but it's the Catholics in the UK that one should approach with caution.

bloody hell ...we're not related are we......do you have family in the Luton areaway chance....?? parts of my family were apparently involved in "the struggle" , probably not something one should admit to but i was only 10 and new nowt..

The Sami? I’ve only encountered two, one I study with and is a lovely guy, the other didn’t have any legs and bit my girlfriends mother!

.....deserves a "this post is worthless without photos and full explanation" emoji. In the words of the song from "Grease"........ "Tell Me More...." :)

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I generally find that most Americans find that they like most Englishmen that they meet or watch on telly or in films. I find out many times that Americans many times think a certain actor is American until they hear the actor's true accent on a talk show or telly advert and realize they are English instead of American. This familiarity with the English in language (at least the words we share in common which actually is most of them, although I do get a bit of a laugh when I see subtitles used when an Englishman with a heavy accent, usually northern, is speaking on US telly or in a film) and having so much in common, political discourse, and culture in general, that make the US and UK enjoy a very close relationship which is only slightly less than the relationship between Canada and US due to a common border.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
The biggest dislike for the English probably comes from middle-class English people themselves. While it's become a bit of a cliché, I don't think the sentiments in Orwell's 1941 essay "The Lion and the Unicorn" are that different these days. See here if you want to read it.

In general, though, people tend to get on with each other. It's only when thinking of people as a group that problems arrive, whether those groups are defined by race, religion, political opinion, sexuality or whatever.

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear
The Al Murray series, whilst it was light hearted, showed that despite all the assumed bitterness and rivalry that there is generally warmth and friendliness between the nations. Most of the perceived animosity is based upon historic relations and treatment. Much of that has mythical status or has diminished through time and it’s now a love to hate relationship. What was most interesting from the Al Murray programmes that the English are probably most like the Germans. We are obsessed with them but they don’t really pay much regard to us. Apparently they get really upset that we stole their Christmas traditions! I suppose they can’t really find anything better to pin on us

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here