Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Does Everyone Hate the English?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I thought the welsh hated us and was prepared for some local prejudice when I moved to wales , but nothing could be farther than the truth since moving here they’ve shown nothing but kindness and complete dumbfoundment at why I would move here in the first place ! I guess over the years they’ve taken the beautiful surroundings and lack of a rush hour for granted, they welsh are great and love thier country.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Surely, like anything, it’s mostly about context, isn’t it?

Walk around Buenos Aires or Dublin being obnoxious and talking about old wars, or turn up in Cardiff on Six Nations weekend in an England shirt and you’re bound to get some stick from a few locals.

Act like any decent human being would when going to a new place and you’ll probably find 99% of people welcoming and delightful.

Mr K is from Wales. He’s lived in England for nearly twenty years I think. He doesn’t hate the English, nor does he cheer for our every sporting opponent, though he’s unshakeably proud of his leek-loving roots. He’s occasionally known to cheer England on if I’m watching a game (at football anyway, not generally at rugby). Talk to him in the context of an England-Wales sporting event, however, and he becomes a different animal. He gets up in the morning and cooks himself breakfast wearing a Wales apron (I’ve never ever seen him wear an apron on any other occasion :lol: ). He gets dressed in his full Wales gear. And he shouts at the TV until the game is over. Like most of his countrymen, sporting contests are a chance for them to assert their national pride, and they get incredibly caught up in it.

On the times I’ve been down to Wales with him to visit the family etc, I’ve never found people anything less than warm and welcoming, however. I get the occasional good natured stick, but almost certainly less than he has to endure daily as the token Welshman at his office in London :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Also, perhaps folk in some places have good reason to dislike the English (or maybe the Brits).

If you live in certain parts of Spain, say, and your entire summer brings hordes of pissed up sunburned twats fighting & hurling chairs around for a laugh, singing football songs at 3am, vomiting in gutters, and generally attempting to get as drunk as they can, as early as they can, then I guess that might slightly colour your opinion of our proud English brothers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I think we're quite arrogant on the whole, yeah, I can see why that would be disliked. I think there is some kind of 'big, important country' posturing we do when on a national stage that our neighbouring brethren, such as the Irish don't do. Other countries perhaps have similar contrast with their smaller neighbours, I haven't met a Canadian or Kiwi I haven't liked, whereas I can't say that for Americans or Aussies (whilst having met lots of very nice citizens of both those countries of course)

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
If I have ever been abroad I always try to be polite and respectful of where ever I go. Seems to work quite well.

Absolutely agreed. In my travels through three continents, having lived in the US and Belfast (civvy) and recently had a holiday close to Athens, all you have to do is show a bit of manners and gratitude and it doesn't matter where you come from. Manners will be reciprocated.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
.....deserves a "this post is worthless without photos and full explanation" emoji. In the words of the song from "Grease"........ "Tell Me More...." :)

I was at a metal festival in Southern Sweden with my girlfriend and her family (they go every year, the stereotype of metal loving Scandinavians is true to my experience) and we were sharing the same campsite as a group of Swedes from the far north, one of which was a Sami. He had no legs and was consigned to a wheelchair, the whole time only wearing leather shorts and a cowboy hat. He was plastered the whole time. Anyway, one night he like usual had too much and managed to fall out of his wheelchair, my girlfriends mum (being a nurse) wanted to help so tried to get him back into the wheelchair, only for him to start screaming and flailing around before eventually biting her! And not just a little nibble, she was bleeding and had to go to the medical area herself! He remembered nothing of it the next day of course..

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Portuguese and Brazilian ‘s on the whole really like us...

South Americans, whilst admiring many aspects of our culture and history, also stereotype us as being quite cold and insincere. I know Brazilians here who were really surprised at how warm and friendly we are in general when they first arrived (little things like our humour, being called 'love' and 'darling' by strangers in shops etc, for example) and absolutely loved an english wedding they went to for the same reasons and for the great little wedding traditions we have. We're very different on the whole compared to the south american stereotype of us, apparently. :)

Last edited:

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Ive heard us called 'Island Monkeys' in more than one country, but its just a term, like we call the French 'Frogs'. Ive never really found any animosity towards the British, other than Czechs believing the British handed their country over to the Nazis virtually. I always tell them not to disrespect the Czech, and Polish pilots of the RAF.

Last edited:

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I've travelled far and wide, approx 60 countries, the only times I have experienced real anti-english sentiment were 1) from afrikaaners in Cape Town last year,... and 2) from Scots in Edinburgh on a number of occasions.

Everywhere else, without exception, I have received a warm welcome.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’ve never been to any of the 26 countries I have visited ( just checked) and met any hostility whatsoever.

This country though ?

I reckon Berlin the most welcoming city.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I’ve never been to any of the 26 countries I have visited ( just checked) and met any hostility whatsoever.

This country though ?

I reckon Berlin the most welcoming city.

What do you mean by 'this country though?'

I've not experienced hostility anywhere either.
Sarajevo i think probably the most welcoming city I've experienced

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Some hate the English. I don't. They're just wankers. We, on the other hand, are colonised by wankers. Can't even find a decent culture to be colonised BY.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Just casually catching up with the Al Murray thing on History “Why Does Everyone Hate The English”

Now, I’m not a massive expert but I have been around a bit and my observations are this:

France: I worked in France as a student, I have a French counterpart at work who I deal with daily and I have dated a couple of French girls, overall I think that their pride is offended by us and they regard the British as oafish and self interested BUT they like our humour and self deprecation and, for some reason, they find well presented Englishmen as deeply sexy.

Germany: They don’t hate us. They love us. End of.

America: Love us. Want to be us. THEIR NATURAL ALLY. You have to fight off American birds with a stick.

Nordics: Considering how godawful ugly we are compared to them they LOVE the English.

Spain: They really don’t like us.We treat their country as a joke and they are proud people.

Aussies: They love to hate us. Without us they would have no one to take the piss out of. Same with NZ.

Russia: They hate everyone.

Besides this... it’s down to NSC.

about right :lolol:

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Nothing beats the collective race hatred of the Scots for the English. Strangely, on a one-to-one personal basis, they're quite friendly.

The welsh hate us far more than the scots,

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Just a note on the catholic Irish.

I went to Armagh with a load of boys from the Park View afew years back...

This was bandit country, (Louth etc) and, to be honest, I was shitting it.

Any road. We were welcomed with open arms, we were let in the pubs at 8.00 am and were hammered for a week. I shagged a different bird EVERY night and the craic was massive.

One of the best trips I’ve ever, ever had.

did you visit.crossmaglen?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
having lived in France for the last 12 years or so,I haven't really got a bad word against them

I have said this before on here,in particular being able to speak English is almost seen as a status symbol,your educated and forward thinking

The more i visit.France the more i love it , pains me.to say it but we could learn a lot from the french and (whisper it) the germans :lolol:

N17

Jun 21, 2011
The only place I have personally seen or noticed anti English wentiment was Glasgow during the 1998 WC.

I usually 'vacation' in the U.S and they love us.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
You will get treated much better being English in Catholic parts in Northern Ireland than Protestant Scotland. English Catholics tend to be the most ferventt Brits, a lot fo the top generals were English Catholic in the troubles and the only bigotry I viewed was the English Catholics tended to look down their noses at the Irish Catholics there has always been a class issue as well the English Catholics who have no Irish ancestry tend to be upper middle class and the Irish were working class.

protestant scots from glasgow love us

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here