Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Does Everyone Hate the English?

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Just casually catching up with the Al Murray thing on History “Why Does Everyone Hate The English”

Now, I’m not a massive expert but I have been around a bit and my observations are this:

France: I worked in France as a student, I have a French counterpart at work who I deal with daily and I have dated a couple of French girls, overall I think that their pride is offended by us and they regard the British as oafish and self interested BUT they like our humour and self deprecation and, for some reason, they find well presented Englishmen as deeply sexy.

Germany: They don’t hate us. They love us. End of.

America: Love us. Want to be us. THEIR NATURAL ALLY. You have to fight off American birds with a stick.

Nordics: Considering how godawful ugly we are compared to them they LOVE the English.

Spain: They really don’t like us.We treat their country as a joke and they are proud people.

Aussies: They love to hate us. Without us they would have no one to take the piss out of. Same with NZ.

Russia: They hate everyone.

Besides this... it’s down to NSC.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just casually catching up with the Al Murray thing on History “Why Does Everyone Hate The English”

Now, I’m not a massive expert but I have been around a bit and my observations are this:

France: I worked in France as a student, I have a French counterpart at work who I deal with daily and I have dated a couple of French girls, overall I think that their pride is offended by us and they regard the British as oafish and self interested BUT they like our humour and self deprecation and, for some reason, they find well presented Englishmen as deeply sexy.

America: Love us. Want to be us. THEIR NATURAL ALLY. You have to fight off American birds with a stick.

Nordics: Considering how godawful ugly we are compared to them they LOVE the English.

Spain: They really don’t like us.We treat their country as a joke and they are proud people.

Aussies: They love to hate us. Without us they would have no one to take the piss out of. Same with NZ.

Nothing beats the collective race hatred of the Scots for the English. Strangely, on a one-to-one personal basis, they're quite friendly.

Limited experience of interacting with "Furriners" although we have holidayed in France, same general area , for the last 14 years or so and and find them perfectly affable.

The Clamp

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Leave voters must hate the English.

The Catholic Irish don't like us much.

Welsh think we're soft as shite.

Scotch only like themselves or whoever is playing against the English for 90 minutes.

The Arabs treat us a soft touch to extract money and arms from. They hold us in contempt.

Same as the Ruskies.

The Italians see us as unsophisticated and base but it doesn't matter what they think because they are hairy and they smell.

Last edited:

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Nothing beats the collective race hatred of the Scots for the English. Strangely, on a one-to-one personal basis, they're quite friendly.

Yes. The Scots are a funny lot. If you ever go on a booze up with a bunch of English lads anywhere in continental Europeyou will definitely pick up a jock somewhere along the way who will be your best mate...strange lot.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Just a note on the catholic Irish.

I went to Armagh with a load of boys from the Park View afew years back...

This was bandit country, (Louth etc) and, to be honest, I was shitting it.

Any road. We were welcomed with open arms, we were let in the pubs at 8.00 am and were hammered for a week. I shagged a different bird EVERY night and the craic was massive.

One of the best trips I’ve ever, ever had.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
Apr 5, 2014
I would imagine that most folk have little to say about us.

Although having recently found myself in Alicante for the first time I'm not surprised the Spanish have a dim view of us in some quarters.

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Just a note on the catholic Irish.

I went to Armagh with a load of boys from the Park View afew years back...

This was bandit country, (Louth etc) and, to be honest, I was shitting it.

Any road. We were welcomed with open arms, we were let in the pubs at 8.00 am and were hammered for a week. I shagged a different bird EVERY night and the craic was massive.

One of the best trips I’ve ever, ever had.

I have never had any problems either. But all my family are Irish. I have an English accent though so still have to be careful what pubs I go into in and around Belfast and parts of Derry. Louth is just below the political border so it can be dodgy but it's the Catholics in the UK that one should approach with caution.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Limited experience of interacting with "Furriners" although we have holidayed in France, same general area , for the last 14 years or so and and find them perfectly affable.

It is always the same isn't it? you might not like a particular lot en masse or politically, but when you meet everyday folk, they are always fine, if you are prepared to make the effort.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
A lot of it is due to historical reasons. English domination of the British isles and the Empire over seas.
Most sensible people know that's all in the past though, like I don't have any issue with Italians despite the Roman occupation a few years ago.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

I'm not sure how true that is on the whole - surprisingly considering how much certain sections of our society trash parts of the country as you say. So many Spanish people working over here and most I've come into contact with like us and our culture generally and enjoy it here. Also lived with quite a few spanish not so long ago abroad, all liked the english generally. I remember commenting to one lad from Tenerife that you guys must hate the brits and he said not really, the Germans and Russians are just as bad - and they know that it's cheap package holidays that attract a certain type of Brit and that we don't all in any way behave like that!

Completely agree with you re the French. Ive had similar experience with them and agree that they really love some aspects of our culture but find us pretty quirky in other ways. From experience they seem to love our humour, pub culture, music, easy going nature and eccentric-ness. And the girls definitely like an english gentleman type as you say. Always used to laugh when they took the piss out of me re our drinking culture though.. The French are bloody massive piss heads! (also from experience)

Last edited:

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
having lived in France for the last 12 years or so,I haven't really got a bad word against them

I have said this before on here,in particular being able to speak English is almost seen as a status symbol,your educated and forward thinking

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
1) Leave voters love the English, love Europeans, hate the EU.
2) Scotch is a drink.

Spot on!

"Leave voters must hate the English" is probably the most stupid comment of the day - a considerable majority of the English voted for Brexit! Remain wouldn't have got anywhere near as close as it did had it not been for the Scots and Irish (along with very cosmopolitan London) voting for it.
Yeh, we love Europeans, love Europe, don't like the EU. Hard to see why some people just can't see that.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
No mention of the Greeks yet. Been a few years, but me and Mrs SS were regular visitors to Greece in the 80's and 90's and felt very welcomed and, despite their incredibly laid-back culture, always gave the impression they would do anything they could to ensure you were well looked after.

When I'm a Brit abroad, I'd like to think the locals have a bit of respect - Englishmen, a fighting nation, you don't mess with the British - Pomp and circumstance, etc. Nowadays, I think they look down on us with contempt - this is supported by Eurovision Song Contest outcomes of the last 15-20 years. Britain ain't what is was ....

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011

True. I can't remember the last time I walked down the street, minding my own business, without some American bird after my body...

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Dutch men love an 'English Rose', which I found rather incomprehensible when I lived over there - 'grass is greener' I suppose.

Also, I was astonished to be randomly thanked by young French on 'liberation day' some years back - I pointed out it was nothing to do with me, but my grandfathers, but they basically said that they have an enduring sense of gratitude towards us.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Dutch men love an 'English Rose', which I found rather incomprehensible when I lived over there - 'grass is greener' I suppose.

Also, I was astonished to be randomly thanked by young French on 'liberation day' some years back - I pointed out it was nothing to do with me, but my grandfathers, but they basically said that they have an enduring sense of gratitude towards us.

That’s interesting. I worked for a while in a very rural part of southern France..in the Biarritz hinterland, on farms with a lot of young Europeans and French kids.

We got on really well with all, but I remember going into a bar once filled with old guys who absolutely despised us.

I got chatting to the owner and he explained that this area was staunch Vichy and some of these old guys hated the brits for sinking the French fleet in harbour when they refused to sail and join with the Royal Navy and preferred to take their chances with the Nazis.

These guys were part of the hated Milice! A proper bunch of Nazis.

I was amazed to find this in modern France...but when I got back and chatted to my Grandad he told me how the French in Algiers spat on the tommies when we liberated them. It’s weird isn’t it. History is alive.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
True. I can't remember the last time I walked down the street, minding my own business, without some American bird after my body...

I recommend a night out in Columbus Ohio.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

Yep.

It’s quite regional up there too. I lived in Glasgow for a while which always seemed to me to be full of sabre rattling jocks and I hated it. Now got a timeshare in Aberdeenshire and the people are lovely.

It always amuses me that Scots only ever remember their great victories over the English in football and rugby which are few and far between whilst forgetting the number of times we have absolutely pasted them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here