Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Do You Watch Old Football Matches

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I started watching the England game the other night before getting bored with the "passing around the back" everyone seems to do these days; went to Youtube and pulled up the '83 Cup Final, up until Smith did score.

I'd forgotten: how drenched the middle of the pitch was, players and the ball getting stuck in it, how robust yet fair the tackles were with nary a whistle heard (though Norman Whiteside was a thug no matter what era this was) that Gary Stevens was a superb player; and when either team had the ball, it really was attackattackattack, as if the fans and players' heads were all as one.

https://youtu.be/Niv6sfd4xUc?t=1579

Last edited:

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
With lardy cake for tea if the day turned out to be a real cracker![/QUOTE]

God I loved Lardy cake.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Another random memory. The letters where the advertising hoardings were, which corresponded with other games and on which their half time scores would be hung? (You'd see the key to these in the match-day programme.) Am I imagining this? Obviously this was pre-internet but it almost seems that they were pre-transistor radios too!

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Another random memory. The letters where the advertising hoardings were, which corresponded with other games and on which their half time scores would be hung? (You'd see the key to these in the match-day programme.) Am I imagining this? Obviously this was pre-internet but it almost seems that they were pre-transistor radios too!

At the Goldstone the half-time scores were on the front wall of the terrace on the south west and north east sides. Bear in mind that tannoy systems were awful and transistor radios large when they first arrived. (The advantage of large transistors was that the owner would rest it on his shoulder when coming out the match, resulting in a tight knot of followers shuffling along all trying to hear the scores!)
Some grounds had magnificent structures for scoreboards. Old Trafford and Maine Road both had 'Scoreboard Ends'.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Have been running out of new comedy to watch so decent shout, thanks!

Watched one of the Pathe News FA Cup finals from the 60s the other day and laughed my bollocks off, the standard was gloriously shit.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Standing in front of TV shop windows watching the results come in on the teleprinter when the Albion were away.

I remember once ours was the last to come in and the teleprinter typed: "Walsall 1 Brighton" and then just stopped, and they cut away to something else. So I had to keep standing there until the classified results went up and I found that, of course, it was Walsall 1 Brighton 0.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
generally speaking,football kits were so much better back then

That Palace kit was brilliant. I remember Bill Wyman wearing one of those shirts when the Stones played at The Big Apple in Queens Road. There was no controversy, of course, because there was no Albion/Palace rivalry then. That all began after Malcolm Allison changed their colours to red and blue and adopted that ridiculous Eagles nickname. They were almost a different club.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
(The advantage of large transistors was that the owner would rest it on his shoulder when coming out the match, resulting in a tight knot of followers shuffling along all trying to hear the scores!)

blimey yeah,remember doing that as a nipper

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Have been running out of new comedy to watch so decent shout, thanks!

Watched one of the Pathe News FA Cup finals from the 60s the other day and laughed my bollocks off, the standard was gloriously shit.

I can see what your saying,I struggle to watch games before the 1960s,which is crazy really

when you think the 70s were 40 years ago themselves

the first cup final I watched was Arsenal-Liverpool 1971,imagine watching a cup final from the 1930s back then

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

At the Goldstone the half-time scores were on the front wall of the terrace on the south west and north east sides. Bear in mind that tannoy systems were awful and transistor radios large when they first arrived. (The advantage of large transistors was that the owner would rest it on his shoulder when coming out the match, resulting in a tight knot of followers shuffling along all trying to hear the scores!)
Some grounds had magnificent structures for scoreboards. Old Trafford and Maine Road both had 'Scoreboard Ends'.

Below the West Stand
goldstoneground5a.jpg
Better image https://thegoldstonewrap.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/goldstoneground5a.jpg

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here