Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Vancouver

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Bit random for me, I rarely venture on holiday beyond er.. Spain.

Going in April next year, any tips on areas to stay, places to visit.

Thank you NSC.

(secret trade deal for the Government shhhhhhhhhhhh)

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Been there a few times on work trips. Absolutely love it. Always try to do at least one run around Stanley park......stunning path along the coast, loads of wildlife, fantastic sunsets. Really meaning to get back there on holiday very soon as there seems so much to see. Very laid-back vibe about the place too. Gastown and Coal Harbour are great to wander around and find somewhere to eat and drink. Whistler is around an hour away too if you’re into skiing or hiking.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Lovely place, went there around 3 years ago.

Stanley Island - hire a bike and cycle from the city, magnificent. Even funnier where there was some kind of beaver on the beach and a Canadian Mum said to her daughter, "honey, do you want to look at the beaver" and she replied no, **** off :lolol:

Capilano Suspension Bridge - very good and free bus from the city.

Grouse Mountain - do the zip-wire and again another free bus there and back from the city.

We stayed in the gay area, very appropriate

It really is a very pleasant place and some lovely bars and restaurants. also a small Island close with loads of foodie outlets - something you would like

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
You should get some last minute skiing in if you're lucky. Whistler, Grouse, Seymour and Cypress.
As the guys above have mentioned; cycling around the seawall and Stanley Park is decent.
Capilano is worth a visit.
Definitely spend some time on Vancouver Island, there's a fair bit to see and do over there.

Go down to Steveston for a whale-spotting trip (make sure you bring sunglasses for the wind - I learnt the hard way).

Downtown Vancouver is fairly grim, stay away from East Hastings, Gastown next door is hit and miss.
Loads of incredible food, especially Asian food.

Couldn't really recommend where to stay as I don't know what kind of area you'd prefer. Quiet and chilled out, central, somewhere in between etc.

Weather will be totally unpredictable in April. Plan for rain, 20+ degrees and potential snow.

Canfan

Nov 8, 2014
Beyond Hope
How long are you going to be in Vancouver for?
It will make a big difference to what you will be able to see and do.
BC is a big place if you want to venture outside of Vancouver.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
A lovely, albeit expensive city. Whatever you do, do not walk around or stay near the East Hastings Street area. It is simply the pits - every drop out, drug taker/dealer, rough sleeper is there. Even the hotel we stayed in (I didn't book it!) had a bouncer on the door!

On the plus side Stanley Park is a beautiful recreation area, with some good birding around Beaver Lake, the water taxi service on False Creek to Granville Island is fun.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Spent 3 days in Vancouver last year. Loved it. Plenty of seaplane activity. Good restaurants etc. When walking around the park sea path saw an otter catch a cod which was huge. Still snow around then if your planning trecks out of the city so take appropriate boots.
We done a fly drive and came across loads of bears by the road. Great picture opportunities

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I lived there for 4 years in the 80s and go back occasionally. Not much to add to what [MENTION=17571]StonehamPark[/MENTION] said. Last time I went I stayed at the Sylvia Hotel on English Bay. A stroll into town and Stanley Park opposite. You can get a bus to one of the local mountains (Grouse, I think) and go night skiing. If there is snow you simply have to do that - it is unbelievable. Granville Market on a Sunday morning is brilliant. The exotic doughnuts I used to buy there in the 80s were still being sold when I went back 2 years ago. Sourdough bread......hire a bike and go up to UBC and the endowment lands - ancient woods. Best to walk round Stanley park on the sea wall (or run) and explore the trails. Bus or cycle to horseshoe bay. Ferry to Vancouver Island (best hire a car for that), drive up island. Drive to Whistler. I would stay downtown, and explore by cycle and bus, then hire a car for a couple of days. There is a fantastic monorail thingy from the airport to downtown now so if you don't want to drive at all there is no real need. Have a great time. My son is a Canadian citizen and why he chooses to live in Faversham rather than Vancouver, where he was born, is beyond me.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

'Beyond Hope' - very good :bowdown::lolol:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Been there a few times on work trips. Absolutely love it. Always try to do at least one run around Stanley park......stunning path along the coast, loads of wildlife, fantastic sunsets. Really meaning to get back there on holiday very soon as there seems so much to see. Very laid-back vibe about the place too. Gastown and Coal Harbour are great to wander around and find somewhere to eat and drink. Whistler is around an hour away too if you’re into skiing or hiking.

Blimey, I feel knackered just reading that post Daz, running/skiing/hiking. And for those a tad less active? :ohmy:. . .

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
The indoor food market on Granville Island which is within Vancouver and easy to get to.
As well as the market produce there are also some nice bars and eateries there.
It's a nice cheap way to spend half a day where the locals shop.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
The indoor food market on Granville Island which is within Vancouver and easy to get to.
As well as the market produce there are also some nice bars and eateries there.
It's a nice cheap way to spend half a day where the locals shop.

Awesome graffiti on the island by OSGEMEOS too. Food market is good, I've taken the river boat bus thing over when I've been, go past the Whitecaps stadium and get a good view of the city.

April is a bit of an in-between seasons visit, maybe catch some end of season snow if the conditions are worth it, maybe avoids the rain. What ever though, you'll have a great time.

Gastown is cool, good boutique shops, very hipster feel to the place. Miku for sushi if that's your thing. Rent a car and take the 99 up out the city on the sea to sky highway into Whistler.

I love Vancouver and would happily move back given the chance.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You should get some last minute skiing in if you're lucky. Whistler, Grouse, Seymour and Cypress.
As the guys above have mentioned; cycling around the seawall and Stanley Park is decent.
Capilano is worth a visit.
Definitely spend some time on Vancouver Island, there's a fair bit to see and do over there.

Go down to Steveston for a whale-spotting trip (make sure you bring sunglasses for the wind - I learnt the hard way).

Downtown Vancouver is fairly grim, stay away from East Hastings, Gastown next door is hit and miss.
Loads of incredible food, especially Asian food.

Couldn't really recommend where to stay as I don't know what kind of area you'd prefer. Quiet and chilled out, central, somewhere in between etc.

Weather will be totally unpredictable in April. Plan for rain, 20+ degrees and potential snow.

What is it with the Hastings's of this world?

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
Again another vote for Stanley park and Granville island. We stayed here for a few days on our honeymoon. https://www.westendguesthouse.com. then road trip across Rockies. If you have time I would get the ferry or boat plane over to Victoria on Vancouver island. The speed boat killer whale watching trip from there was a real highlight. Also if it is your thing, the all you can eat style sushi restaurants in Vancouver are great and exceptional value. Finally have chicken wings. The Canadians make flipping tasty chicken wings.

Canfan

Nov 8, 2014
Beyond Hope

There will be plenty to keep you occupied in Vancouver then.
I've lived here for thirty years and it still seems like I'm on vacation mos
t of the time.
I would go along with most of the previously mentioned ‘attractions’ (and do avoid the E. Hastings & Main St. area – not necessarily dangerous, just a very poor, drug ridden area and not very nice).
If you decide to do a day or overnight trip to Whistler, if weather permits drive another couple of hours past Whistler towards Lillooet for some beautiful scenery.
Vancouver Island may be pushing it a bit if you’re only going to be here for a week but a day trip to Victoria could be done.
Feel free to PM me if you need more info on anything.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Go down to Steveston for a whale-spotting trip (make sure you bring sunglasses for the wind - I learnt the hard way.)

Also, make sure you go at the beginning of your trip, as companies used to offer you a free trip if you don't see any whales, and they get booked up quickly.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Sorry I forgot to take up the PMs and those who actually rang me.

Just got back and all of the above was true. Lovely city. Completely spoilt with fantastic seafood which I consumed all week.

I stayed in Yaletown right by the water. Visited both Granville Island and the park twice, and for the rest just walked round the city.

The weather was a bit odd, sunshine one day, heavy rain the next (and repeat) - reminded me of London.

Since I was 10 minutes from the BC stadium - I nearly went to Vancouver v LA Galaxy until I had a chat with some ex-pats who go who were very knowledgeable about Brighton.

"You'll hate it.." and they were probably right :)

The surprise of my visit was Canadian wine. Remarkable. Reds, Whites, Rose all delicious.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here