Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] BT/Sky TV installation problem

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Is there anything you aren't telling us .

Noste-kosmodisk-293x150.jpg

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
BT wouldn't use Sky. However Sky would use BT to install the line as its a physical requirement. Are you sure the order was with BT. If so a dish wouldn't be required as the signal is through the phone line.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Yes I'm aware of the premium channels being delivered that way, but on the BT TV website it says an aerial is required for Freeview channels. :shrug:

I didn't know about them saying you need an aerial (I get mine as part of a staff perk). What I do know is that they CAN stream terrestrial channels but don't know whether that's a specific product or an engineering workaround.

EDIT: thinking about it, I seem to remember that when I first got it, I had a Vision box and that delivered the HD channels via internet. When it started playing up I blagged a youview box and had to stick up a better aerial to get decent HD.

Last edited:

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Don’t know why so many dishes are installed on walls, chimneys etc. Our’s is installed on a paving slab in the garden. If you don’t like the look of it it’s easy to put a small fence around it. No problems with it going out of adjustment either, no need to pay someone to go up a ladder.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
BT wouldn't use Sky. However Sky would use BT to install the line as its a physical requirement. Are you sure the order was with BT. If so a dish wouldn't be required as the signal is through the phone line.

Agree with this. Something doesn’t quite sound right with the OP’s description of the situation.

BT TV receives digital TV signals via a regular aerial to display the Freeview channels and their additional premium sports and entertainment channels (including sky sports) can be delivered over the broadband line to the Vision box. No dish needed.

If the OP really has a Sky contractor trying to install a dish then they’ve bought Sky TV from Sky (not BT).

The only thing I can think of as a reason to need a dish is if the OP lives in a remote country area with a poor digital TV signal. The alternative then would be to have a Freesat dish. The OP will have known that long before and it is also not something that BT would be responsible for coordinating.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here