Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Tablets advice

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Definitely get him a bigger new iPad like you first suggested
He'll hate you if you move him to something lesser in his and his mates eyes (and mine :)

Or buy an equal or superior model and use the change to pay for your season ticket next year or if he wants to buy a apple device tell him to get a job and pay the difference

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Or buy an equal or superior model and use the change to pay for your season ticket next year or if he wants to buy a apple device tell him to get a job and pay the difference

I'm not sure what you're talking about there really.

No kid is going to need the iPad Pro which is all kinds of lovely, and ridiculously-specced, but with a price tag to match.

The non-pro iPad starts at £310 and tops pretty much every tablet best buy list going (I just did a quick search and the iPad was on top of every single list I found), with this ExpertReviews write-up pretty much typical:

Apple iPad (2018): Best-value tablet

You can't go wrong with the classic iPad. The entry-level model is Apple’s cheapest current-gen tablet and is essentially the same device as its predecessor. The 2018 Apple iPad is equipped with Apple’s powerful A10 Fusion chip and receives Apple Pencil support, too. It might sound rather bog-standard compared to some of Apple's pricier options, but at £310 no other tablet comes remotely close to matching the iPad for performance or style.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Doves, Mitsubishis.

I lost a few hours of my memory to a rather potent mitsubishi one evening. One minute everything and everyone was chrome plated, next I'm being chaperoned home. Not a clue what happened in between.

D

Deleted member 2719

Genuinely had no idea that any other company still made tablets.

Any child being bought a non-iPad should be calling Childline (on their iPhone).

IOS only has about a quarter of the market why would anyone want to be locked into one company their whole life and pay extra for the privilege???

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
The Amazon app store is rubbish.

Send from my Amazon Fire.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Why people still buy Apple is beyond me.
Overpriced and restricted.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Why people still buy Apple is beyond me.
Overpriced and restricted.

To be fair to Apple, for tablets their only real competition is Samsung or Huawei, whose similar (i.e. high-end) tablets are a similar price. The cheapies (Amazon, cheaper Samsung, etc.) are rubbish.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
This message is being sent from a 6 year old Amazon tablet.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Unlike mobile phones, where android has caught up/overtaken apple ... the ipad is the only tablet worth buying. Amazon fire tablet is cheap for a reason. iPad is what £320 now? Worth it imo.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Unlike mobile phones, where android has caught up/overtaken apple ... the ipad is the only tablet worth buying. Amazon fire tablet is cheap for a reason. iPad is what £320 now? Worth it imo.

This. Wouldn’t get any other tablet than an Ipad, but happy with an android mobile.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Buy him some Lego and tell him to make whatever he wants...

Lego-iPad-001-Flickr-user-ipadfrance-468x352.jpg

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
For Xmas, I was planning on upgrading my son's old iPad mini to a full-size one with more GB etc.

Someone then said I should get an Amazon Fire Tablet instead: "Does the same and loads cheaper".

I just wanted to check that most (if not all) the games and apps he's downloaded onto his old iPad can be transferred to an Amazon Fire Tablet. Including all the 'worlds' he's built in Minecraft etc?!

My worry is that if they came all from the Apple App store, via his mum's iTunes account, does that in fact mean they won't work on a Amazon Fire, because that's Android?

It seems a simple question, but I can't find a simple answer online. Every article/review just starts going on about microprocessors etc.

So, without starting to turn into Ben's Grandad, can anyone help me?

Can't see how you could transfer apps over. The Amazon app store is a bit sparse. I bought a Fire for work. Was cheap and does what I need. But if I had had an ipad before I don't think I would be happy using the fire. I'd go for an ipad upgrade if I were you.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
You could get a refurbished ipad from apple. They're as good as new and generally £100-200 cheaper.

Sticking with ipad will allow you to seamlessly transfer all apps and saved games etc by loading the new ipad from iCloud backup, and it'll be just like using the old one but now new and bigger!

Also if you use the keychain feature you won't need to sign into everything again, it should all just work as you had it before.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here