Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Connolly - Just a thought?

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
No. Let’s not get carried away. He’s scored a decent amount of goals in a reserve league. The hat-trick against MK has pushed his stock up a bit but he’s still a long way away from a full cap. He hasn’t even played for the U21s.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is it possible he could get a full Eire cap before he starts for the Albion?

He'll be screwed if CH takes the Eire job on a part-time basis.
Although Dale O'Stephens and Glenn McMurray would be in line for a call up.

Come on people, lighten up.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No. Let’s not get carried away. He’s scored a decent amount of goals in a reserve league. The hat-trick against MK has pushed his stock up a bit but he’s still a long way away from a full cap. He hasn’t even played for the U21s.

It’s entirely plausible. Michael Obafemi of Southampton is on the Republic bench tonight. He’s 18 and has played 8 minutes for Saints’ first team.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It’s entirely plausible. Michael Obafemi of Southampton is on the Republic bench tonight. He’s 18 and has played 8 minutes for Saints’ first team.

Expedience, perhaps, it stops England and Nigeria sniffing around him.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
It's entirely possible, although unlikely. That said, George Weah's son who was playing against England tonight currently has more international caps than first team career appearances. Jurgen Klinsmann's son is also in the current USA squad having yet to make his pro debut.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
He showed he could be an amazing L1 or top L2 talent if played every week. Let's hope he builds steadily like our 'keepers out on loan and then we can talk about what you mention in 18 months or so +

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Of course it's possible. He's doing well in the Under 23s. With our reluctance to use youngsters in the premier league, this usually leads to lower league loans.

Look at the current ROI squad:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland_national_football_team#Current_squad

Players from Hearts, Derby, Sheff Utd, Blackburn, Reading, Villa, Millwall, Preston, Portsmouth. Recent call ups came from Macclesfield, Peterborough, Luton, Ipswich. ROI don't have a lot of Premier League options, so they will look down the leagues. If Connolly is playing regular first team football on loan, and continuing to show his current under 23 form, he'd be in with a shout.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
call me bonkers, but if ,as looks likely, Locadia's on his bike, could Connolly step up to the plate ? The old adage 'if you're good enough, you're old enough'.
Also, due to our defensive manager, what's the point of splashing out on a replacement ?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
call me bonkers, but if ,as looks likely, Locadia's on his bike, could Connolly step up to the plate ? The old adage 'if you're good enough, you're old enough'.
Also, due to our defensive manager, what's the point of splashing out on a replacement ?

Needs regular first team experience in Champ/L1. Wont progress getting 15 mins here and there with Albion imo.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Needs regular first team experience in Champ/L1. Wont progress getting 15 mins here and there with Albion imo.

Yep, give him a half season from Jan with a team in the (ideally) Championship or L1 where he'll get loads of game time and see how he does. Don't think there'll be a shortage of willing teams

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

Agree. He could be the next David Gipp.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Yep, give him a half season from Jan with a team in the (ideally) Championship or L1 where he'll get loads of game time and see how he does. Don't think there'll be a shortage of willing teams

I suspect you're right, but I can't help thinking that there's something in the OP's question, as RoI are pretty pony up-front at the mo, and why not: give youth a chance/establish them for the future/experiment outside of the box in such a situation.
The big question is that we need to factor in other current striker situations: whether Murray can maintain his form, goalscoring and fitness; whether Locadia is in the right frame of mind to continue post-Jan, and even whether he's the right kind of player for the way we play; how good Andone is (pretty good from the little I know), how his goalscoring develops in the PL, whether he's the right player for our formation.
There's quite a lot in there, and I suspect that there really won't be much available in January so letting Connolly go out on loan then might not be an option. I do agree it seems like too much of a jump from u23s to PL level, but it has happened albeit rarely and is increasingly less the case.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Of course it's possible. He's doing well in the Under 23s. With our reluctance to use youngsters in the premier league, this usually leads to lower league loans.

Look at the current ROI squad:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland_national_football_team#Current_squad

Players from Hearts, Derby, Sheff Utd, Blackburn, Reading, Villa, Millwall, Preston, Portsmouth. Recent call ups came from Macclesfield, Peterborough, Luton, Ipswich. ROI don't have a lot of Premier League options, so they will look down the leagues. If Connolly is playing regular first team football on loan, and continuing to show his current under 23 form, he'd be in with a shout.

Yes agree but he wasnt even selected for there under 19s just a month ago

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I suspect you're right, but I can't help thinking that there's something in the OP's question, as RoI are pretty pony up-front at the mo, and why not: give youth a chance/establish them for the future/experiment outside of the box in such a situation.
The big question is that we need to factor in other current striker situations: whether Murray can maintain his form, goalscoring and fitness; whether Locadia is in the right frame of mind to continue post-Jan, and even whether he's the right kind of player for the way we play; how good Andone is (pretty good from the little I know), how his goalscoring develops in the PL, whether he's the right player for our formation.
There's quite a lot in there, and I suspect that there really won't be much available in January so letting Connolly go out on loan then might not be an option. I do agree it seems like too much of a jump from u23s to PL level, but it has happened albeit rarely and is increasingly less the case.

Think you’re right, although I’m more concerned about our lack of chances being created rather than our striker options. We’re persisting with 4-4-1-1 even though we don’t have anyone who is remotely close to Gross in the no 10 role, and our midfield seems too scared to go forward, and look a bit clueless when they do. Anyone playing up front will struggle with our current setup.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here