Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] VAR set to be used in Premier League next season

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
BBC Breaking News

Video assistant referees (VAR) is set to be used in the Premier League next season, after the clubs agreed in principle to the move.

At a shareholders' meeting today, clubs were provided with an update on this season's VAR trials.

The Premier League will now make a formal request to the International Football Association Board and Fifa to use VAR next season.

More to follow .

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
As much as I was against it initially there seems to have been so many more high profile obvious errors this season than in the past so I feel its now needed.

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
As much as I was against it initially there seems to have been so many more high profile obvious errors this season than in the past so I feel its now needed.

Indeed. Likely would have saved us a point last week for a start :angry:

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Too many grey areas in football for it to work properly. The only area it would work is offside - a binary decision - and even then there is the grey area of "interfering with play"

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Still against it, you only have to look at what its done to Rugby. What is circus...

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
It might just help rule out a few blatant errors... but it is going to throw up a whole new set of binfests. Opinions will always be just that. And football is full of them, and many of them blinkered!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Brilliant. My wife was beginning to get suspicious why I was getting back from football at 10pm every Saturday.

"Surely it didn't go to penalties AGAIN?"

Now I can blame the HOURS of VAR delays.

Any good suggestions for apps I can play with whilst we await the decisions?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Still against it, you only have to look at what its done to Rugby. What is circus...

It's done well at the rugby. It's shown on the screens and becomes a whole new theatre as you watch the incidents from angle after angle and hear the crowd react each time. In a game of 'phases' like rugby, it works really well in my opinion.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It was reported about a month ago that the ruling bodies not sure if it was EUFA or FIFA are insisting on its use.next season in all major senior leagues.including The Premier.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't think the refs should have the option of calling up VAR - only to be used if there's a word in his ear from the video ref saying 'you might have got that wrong, mate'. I don't suppose they'll bring this in now though - too late because of existing VAR practices elsewhere.

What I would like to see - and this is perfectly do-able - is a mandatory yellow for any player making that TV screen gesture with his fingers. Retrospectively if the ref asks them if they did it and they say no!

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Oh god. I'm bookmarking my post here, because this time next year we'll be accusing the system of turning every other game into a farce.

(*assuming we aren't relegated of course.)

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Something has got to happen? you cant have multi million £'s decisions going down to the vision of 1 person?

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Something has got to happen? you cant have multi million £'s decisions going down to the vision of 1 person?

Agree. It can't be long before a last minute, last match of the season incorrect decision relegates a team, and an owner tries to sue the ref.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
On the whole it wasn't quite as obtrusive in the World Cup as I anticipated, and yes it will will right SOME wrongs. But you're still just swapping one set of controversies for a bunch of new ones, and introducing a whole raft of new delays and pauses to accommodate it. There are inevitably still going to be some right old f-ups, and the sense of injustice will only be intensified because the officials have had an opportunity to review it and STILL get it 'wrong'. Nobody always agrees on everything.

Its great to sort out obvious errors. Its the myriad of marginal calls where the all the minefields lay ahead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here