Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dunk to start vs USA

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Granted I didn't see much of the game properly as I was at work - but apart from the first half lunge at Pulisic that was a bit rash and almost costly, he always seemed to be doing okay. Or so I thought. This seems to be a particularly harsh assessment from the Guardian's Jacob Steinberg, and one that takes little account of how consistently excellent he has been for several seasons now:

"If there was a disappointment for Southgate, it was that Lewis Dunk struggled to allay concerns that he is not cut out for international football. The Brighton defender looked nervy on his debut – he sent one simple pass out for a throw-in – and was indebted to Jordan Pickford for bailing him out when his error allowed Christian Pulisic to run through on goal when the game was goalless. While England’s lack of depth in central defence has forced Southgate to give opportunities to players from less fashionable clubs, the manager might look elsewhere next time. Dunk’s vulnerabilities would have been punished by better opponents"

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Granted I didn't see much of the game properly as I was at work - but apart from the first half lunge at Pulisic that was a bit rash and almost costly, he always seemed to be doing okay. Or so I thought. This seems to be a particularly harsh assessment from the Guardian's Jacob Steinberg, and one that takes little account of how consistently excellent he has been for several seasons now:

"If there was a disappointment for Southgate, it was that Lewis Dunk struggled to allay concerns that he is not cut out for international football. The Brighton defender looked nervy on his debut – he sent one simple pass out for a throw-in – and was indebted to Jordan Pickford for bailing him out when his error allowed Christian Pulisic to run through on goal when the game was goalless. While England’s lack of depth in central defence has forced Southgate to give opportunities to players from less fashionable clubs, the manager might look elsewhere next time. Dunk’s vulnerabilities would have been punished by better opponents"

Accurate assessment, but Southgate is no fool. He won't be binning Dunk through one friendly game. Leading up to his selection he obviously saw that he had something to offer from viewing his Premier League performances to date and surely would calculate nervousness into his assessment of Dunk's international debut.

I hate to say it but a high profile move would cement his England prospects going into Euro2020. Maybe TB will be tested by a bid in January?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
This seems to be a particularly harsh assessment from the Guardian's Jacob Steinberg, and one that takes little account of how consistently excellent he has been for several seasons now:

Jacob Steinberg is a self-confessed West Ham fan.

Probably just trying to advance the England prospects of Decaln Rice before he commits himself to Ireland for good. Rice has played for Ireland at every level, although as his senior appearances were not competitive games he is still able to swap allegiance under FIFA regulations if he gets a call from Southgate.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

Very harsh IMO as Arnold (who was given man of the match) made a very poor error trying to let the ball run out and the US player nicked the ball off him and Dier and Henderson were wasteful in possession. Wilson (also nervous) missed 2 chances that you have to score at that level but is praised as cementing his place.

So pretty poor article which calls out dunk unnecessarily a bit like the Wolves , Newcastle and palace fans all over twitter who just want their own players in the squad.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
He must start tomorrow against Croatia alongside Stones or questions will be asked about Southgate’s competency.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Guardian writer "Dunk looked very nervy on his debut".

No sh*t Sherlock. Debutant defender nervous of a making a critical mistake. I remember Rio Ferdinand making errors in his early games, and the rest almost certainly did too. Incredbible that he wasted a whole paragraph on the subject, I wonder if a Henry Winter or Patrick Barclay would be so judgemental on one game?

Proud of Lewis.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Guardian writer "Dunk looked very nervy on his debut".

No sh*t Sherlock. Debutant defender nervous of a making a critical mistake. I remember Rio Ferdinand making errors in his early games, and the rest almost certainly did too. Incredbible that he wasted a whole paragraph on the subject, I wonder if a Henry Winter or Patrick Barclay would be so judgemental on one game?

Proud of Lewis.

This is the only mention in his game report that Henry Winter mentions Dunk...

Southgate had tweaked his 4-3-3 system, starting with a 4-2-1-3 with Dele Alli in the hole and Delph and Harry Winks patrolling in front of the back four containing the debut-making Lewis Dunk. The Brighton & Hove Albion centre back had a moment of miscalculation with the score at 0-0 when he dived in on Christian Pulisic, who sped through and was denied by Jordan Pickford.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here