Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dunk to start vs USA

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sky Sports ratings had him scoring much higher.

From Sky Sports News:

Lewis Dunk - 8
Adapted to international football effortlessly. Dunk did not give away a single foul throughout the 90 minutes and completed 96.2 per cent of his passes.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Nearly all of his passes were 10 yards sideways to Keane or back to the keeper, so the 96% isn't overly surprising. I'd have liked him to show a little more ambition on the ball at times, but I guess that can be forgiven as it was his debut and nerves played a part. Kept it as simple as possible, no howlers except for getting done all-ends up by Pulisic.

Steady if unspectacular, hopefully it'll be enough to keep him in the coming squads as backup (if he maintains his form with us of course).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Very strange watching last night. It felt more like watching my son play in his games as I tend to focus on him. Last night I was constantly looking for Dunk on the pitch and noting his every move.

Got done up like a kipper as [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] says and played one appalling pass. Also wasn't looking when the USA took their quick short corner, but neither were half the team. However, those apart he looked solid and comfortable and will still be a menace from set pieces at that level.

All together I agree with Easy, has done nothing wrong and should have cemented his position as back up. Won't be playing Sunday though :lol:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Wasn’t near a telly last night so not seen anything of the game , seeing him in the England shirt in that photo does actually make me feel proud , mainly for him obviously but a little bit of me as well, I’m not bothered about all the blah blah it’s only a friendly, you don’t get to represent this country at football if you’re a dud , so bloody well done Lewis Dunk .

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Terrible pass straight to US player and then lunged in same move and got done. States should have scored and if they did it was 100% dunks fault.

Looked shaky against pace and as someone else said when the state's took a corner in the second half he had his back to play, Gary Neville was not impressed.

Must admit I'm not overly fussed about his average performance. Keeps the big clubs away and tbh club over country every time.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Those saying they wish he had brought the ball out more or been more ambitious with his passing clearly ignoring the fact that he'd clearly been told not to.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
WhoScored.PNG

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Very strange watching last night. It felt more like watching my son play in his games as I tend to focus on him. Last night I was constantly looking for Dunk on the pitch and noting his every move.

Got done up like a kipper as [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] says and played one appalling pass. Also wasn't looking when the USA took their quick short corner, but neither were half the team. However, those apart he looked solid and comfortable and will still be a menace from set pieces at that level.

All together I agree with Easy, has done nothing wrong and should have cemented his position as back up. Won't be playing Sunday though :lol:

Christ, I'd forgotten about that quickly taken corner. Dunk was mincing around the penalty spot looking in totally the wrong direction, completely unaware the ball was in play and on its way in. He wasn't alone in that as you say, but bloody hell, we got away with one there.

I was exactly the same as you - I wasn't following the ball, I was just watching him every time he was in shot, checking his position, seeing if he had his man. That casual backward header to McCarthy gave my heart a jump, McCarthy was coming out to gather and was a LOT closer than Lewis actually thought, I think...either side of him and we could've been looking at a disaster !

But overall, the boy did good. :thumbsup:

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Those saying they wish he had brought the ball out more or been more ambitious with his passing clearly ignoring the fact that he'd clearly been told not to.
Just what I was going to suggest. From watching the game last night, it felt clear to me he was under strict instructions, and didn't want to rock the boat/get subbed off for not following them to the letter. He plays with a bit more freedom under Hughton but that would partly come with time and experience. Assuming he gets more opportunities in the England team (and why shouldn't he?) he will get more comfortable with his team mates, and they will be more comfortable with him, his movement, and his technique/vision. I was pleased for him that he was one of the few players not to be subbed off during the match, too.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Terrible pass straight to US player and then lunged in same move and got done. States should have scored and if they did it was 100% dunks fault.

Looked shaky against pace and as someone else said when the state's took a corner in the second half he had his back to play, Gary Neville was not impressed.

Must admit I'm not overly fussed about his average performance. Keeps the big clubs away and tbh club over country every time.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You mean the corner where there were still four England players (including seasoned ones) on 2 opposition ones and yet still they let them get a header in...Dunks player wasn't amongst that lot....oh and ye you are right about the earlier lunge...but I bet you weren't looking out for mistakes by other players :facepalm:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Despite a nervous start I thought he looked slightly the better out of him and Keane, also sure I remember seeing a couple of decent blocks and clearing headers that have gone unmentioned? Not that exciting I suppose, if you're not Dunk's dad which it feels like we all are.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
You mean the corner where there were still four England players (including seasoned ones) on 2 opposition ones and yet still they let them get a header in...Dunks player wasn't amongst that lot....oh and ye you are right about the earlier lunge...but I bet you weren't looking out for mistakes by other players :facepalm:

Especially since Keane stood there like a lemon holding his hand up for offside as Pulisic ran through. Could have covered Dunk's lunge and prevented the opportunity from arising.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
7c72e163150d938c4d93a2b61ec5f5b0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't be right because [MENTION=72]dwayne[/MENTION] said it was average :lol:

For an international debut those are great stats. Bottom line is, if a goal comes from a mistake it will be a mistake in the back four most of the time, it won't be the front three's fault, just as Dunk isn't responsible for the decent chances we passed up last night. And, yes, most centre backs will struggle for pace against most top quality wingers. Only time he really got burned was by Weah, who is lightning, because the full back got caught out of postion.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nearly all of his passes were 10 yards sideways to Keane or back to the keeper, so the 96% isn't overly surprising. I'd have liked him to show a little more ambition on the ball at times, but I guess that can be forgiven as it was his debut and nerves played a part. Kept it as simple as possible, no howlers except for getting done all-ends up by Pulisic.

Steady if unspectacular, hopefully it'll be enough to keep him in the coming squads as backup (if he maintains his form with us of course).

We might like to see more ambition but judging by last night and the W/C I don't think Mr Southgate wants his centre backs to be all that expansive.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
I thought he did very well considering the nerves he must have felt .... cant imagine how that thought in your head would feel to make a mess on debut costing England the game so not surprised it was very much a 'play it safe' kind of performance.

Looked like he had a muscle problem second half with his left leg as he kept on stretching it and feeling it but hopefully just a touch of cramp. Doubt he will start on Sunday unless an injury rules out Stones or Gomez (both have niggles) but I'm sure he will be ready and waiting as a starter or on the bench now he has his feet in the England door its going to take something special/disastrous to shift him out again.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
6/10 about right.

1 error when tried to ping a ball then lunged in. Could of cost us. Think they hindered him looking for more long raking passes after.

Be good to see him against better opposition. Hope he has done enough to be around the set up for a while.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here