Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Chelsea facing two year transfer ban

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Chelsea are facing a two-year transfer ban for signing 14 under-18 players illegally following a judgment from Fifa’s Integrity and Compliance unit.

The recommendation for a transfer embargo for four windows, revealed by the French site Mediapart, who are one of the organisations publishing documents obtained by Football Leaks, follows a three-year Fifa investigation into 19 signings made by Chelsea, 14 of which were under the age of 18.

The Times -

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I can’t decide what I think of transfer bans as a punishment. It seems there could be unintentional consequences, for example Chelsea may refuse to sell Rúben Loftus-Cheek because they can’t get a replacement but not give him much game time either. The result is a promising young player stagnates.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I can’t decide what I think of transfer bans as a punishment. It seems there could be unintentional consequences, for example Chelsea may refuse to sell Rúben Loftus-Cheek because they can’t get a replacement but not give him much game time either. The result is a promising young player stagnates.

As I understood it, you can still sell players but not register any new ones.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That'll come as a blow to Dunk.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
As I understood it, you can still sell players but not register any new ones.

That would be a valid point to make , if the poster you were responding to had said you cant sell players , which he didnt .....

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Also it would affect different clubs differently

Some clubs may be able to tie up players on long contracts, other may see that as too much of a financial gamble and may lose a lot of players each summer as their deals run out (like teams who know they are in a relegation battle) If they have a few players reaching the end of their careers too, they may lose some that way as well -if they were then hit with a 2 year transfer ban, it would make it extremely difficult for their chances the following season(s) and could force the club into administration should they drop down the leagues as a result

It could mean that their existing players are able to hold the club to ransom, demanding better deals or refusing to sign new contracts without a massive wage increase because they know the club can't go elsewhere because of a transfer ban (going on strike, or taking a half-hearted approach, knowing the club can't afford to sack them or can replace them)

And what happens if they lose 10 players before the transfer ban is over and are a club with no youth academy (cut to save money years earlier) - how do they field a side? - do they get a chance to sign free agents to make the numbers back up?

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014

If the 12 non British player restriction comes into force, then RLC and others from their academy get game time.

Last edited:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Everton's academy got done for similar misdemeanours a couple of weeks back as well , snidey gits .

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
If the 12 non British player restriction comes into force, then RLC and others from their academy get game time.

Not necessarily, as the club will be far less willing to loan younger players out, and will just leave them in their own age group sides as there will be a premium on homegrown players, which actually reduces the opportunity for younger players to obtain first team experience,

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yet another club which thinks its above these pesky things called "rules" then.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Should it actually happen I would expect Chelsea to take or threaten legal action via the courts against the relevant parties and the decision changed or at least deferred

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That would be a valid point to make , if the poster you were responding to had said you cant sell players , which he didnt .....

No, she was replying to a post that said 'transfer ban'. Her reply was 100% appropriate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here