Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Free bus travel for under 16's

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So when I get on the bus at Haywards Heath who pays that 90p assuming West Sussex Coyncuil rthrough wgom my pass is issued and conversely I would assume that when we get on the bus at The Old Steine to go home Brighton Council pay it. Slightly OT but which should I use, my pass or Season ticket on the 25 from The Old Steine to Falmer and back?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Saw people getting on and off a bus in Burgess Hill today. Looking at the likely age profile of the passengers, I doubt a single one of them was paying for their trip. I suppose that's better than usually seeing large, EMPTY buses pootling around town chucking out great clouds of diesel, which is the norm.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Edited as I'm confused now.

I always thought it was the card issuing council that paid?

Last edited:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
So when I get on the bus at Haywards Heath who pays that 90p assuming West Sussex Coyncuil rthrough wgom my pass is issued and conversely I would assume that when we get on the bus at The Old Steine to go home Brighton Council pay it. Slightly OT but which should I use, my pass or Season ticket on the 25 from The Old Steine to Falmer and back?

I don’t know what agreements councils have with each other regarding the splitting of bus fares so can’t answer that.

Regarding bus pass or season ticket use, as the club have paid a contract to the travel companies to carry X amount of people then I would use my season ticket in your situation. Otherwise the bus companies are getting paid twice for your journeys. But it’s
your call!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Saw people getting on and off a bus in Burgess Hill today. Looking at the likely age profile of the passengers, I doubt a single one of them was paying for their trip. I suppose that's better than usually seeing large, EMPTY buses pootling around town chucking out great clouds of diesel, which is the norm.

That is usual with all buses from Haywards Heath to either Burgess Hill or Brighton and the return as you could count the cash customers that get on to the bus on 1 hand.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I don’t know what agreements councils have with each other regarding the splitting of bus fares so can’t answer that.

Regarding bus pass or season ticket use, as the club have paid a contract to the travel companies to carry X amount of people then I would use my season ticket in your situation. Otherwise the bus companies are getting paid twice for your journeys. But it’s
your call!

Do the club pay a set fee or similar to the councils pay on the number of presentations.or journeys made.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
There are some cities in the Europe where bus travel is free for all. The costs borne by the council and central government. You wouldn't see too many empty buses if we had that

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That is usual with all buses from Haywards Heath to either Burgess Hill or Brighton and the return as you could count the cash customers that get on to the bus on 1 hand.

I see loads as I run around BH a lot....they're mostly empty, have 1-2 passengers at most, and those passengers are almost always OAPs. Must be losing a fortune on them.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I haven't really thought about it so the idea may be flawed on people thinking about it but how about extending the existing bus pass to include trains under the same time scales and to a maximum distance of say 10 or 15 miles.

That does apply if you live in London or Birmingham - a sight more than 15 miles too!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If it wasn't for OAPs riding on the buses and clicking up the miles on their bus-passes, on many routes you wouldn't have a bus service at all.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As car parking has crept into this :shrug:

[tweet]1006447234496507904[/tweet]

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
All kids in B&H get free bus passes if they live a certain distance from school. I did when I was a kid. Mine was only valid between school and home (and only on weekdays). My kids' passes are valid seven days a week for any journey in B&H (but not holidays). It is a good idea - saves us plenty - but does cut down on parents doing the school run.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I
I didnt know that was available as I has no need to use it but it is still expensive in comparison to parking charges for a family. to park in Churchill Sq for shopping in Brighton

Four hours parking in Churchill Square costs £2.50 more than a Family Day Metrovoyager ticket.

And that’s before taking into account fuel costs, vehicle depreciation etc.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here