Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Scam Call From 00455 5378736

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Just had a call from the above-mentioned number. You get a recorded voice saying that your internet connection has been compromised and will be cut off within 24 hours. To speak to an adviser, press 1..... That's when I put the phone down. An internet search confirmed that this is a scam.
What happens if you press 1? I didn't find out.
If you receive a scam call it is advised that you pass the warning on, so here it is.
https://who-called.co.uk/Number/004555378736

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Same ,Ended up speaking to someone called Dave from India soon realised it was a scam so put phone down
Called bt and now have bt call protect where if u get a call u don’t like u press 1572 and it blocks that call further u just keep adding I’m sure there are other ways they help as well , only had this up and running for a couple of weeks so to early to tell but have added 4/5 numbers to it so hopefully stops hope that helps oh and it’s free to use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
doogie004 I would check your phone bill, some of these scams work by getting to call a premium line.

Simple action is not to press anything just put the phone down companies like BT will not work this way. if you want to check then phone them or go online to their website.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Same ,Ended up speaking to someone called Dave from India soon realised it was a scam so put phone down
Called bt and now have bt call protect where if u get a call u don’t like u press 1572 and it blocks that call further u just keep adding I’m sure there are other ways they help as well , only had this up and running for a couple of weeks so to early to tell but have added 4/5 numbers to it so hopefully stops hope that helps oh and it’s free to use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really hope you don't end up like this call receiver

Scammers don't pick up they will charge you with expensive telephone bill I had to pay 300 $ dollar for one call.

Seems if you press a phone key you get re-routed onto an expensive call line.

May be worth checking your phone costs now as a precaution

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Really hope you don't end up like this call receiver

Scammers don't pick up they will charge you with expensive telephone bill I had to pay 300 $ dollar for one call.

Seems if you press a phone key you get re-routed onto an expensive call line.

May be worth checking your phone costs now as a precaution

If you get an incoming call, it is not possible for the caller to raise charges against your phone line.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Easy to simply google the number afterwards as well - plenty of sites with comments on to have a look at if it's a common scammer/PPI/ambulance chaser/energy seller/life insurance checker/pension adviser etc etc

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I just called the number to ask if it is a scam. The guy I spoke to is putting me through to his Supervisor. That was about 20 minutes ago and I'm still on hold. :shrug:

I'll let you all know when I find out some more.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The call in question asks you to push 1 to connect to the internet team (scammer) I wonder if they can trick you into a charge that way maybe

Nope

Actually it is. Just because the call started as an inbound one doesnt mean the whole call is.

Explain please using facts how you can be charged for an incoming call (apart from if you have accepted a reverse charge from the operator).

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I had one which was supposedly from TalkTalk, telling me my internet was going to be cut off within an hour, to press 1 for blah blah blah and 2 for something else. It wasn't even a live call but a recording.
That was yesterday and it's still going strong.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Is the music any good??

Ha! Still on hold...nearly one and half hours later!! If they are professional scammers they really are pretty shambolic! I hope they answer soon as I'm getting a whole load of alerts coming through from my bank for some reason, so I can't be hanging about all day. Sake.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
These scam calls have left my mum very upset. It's been going on every day for 3 weeks until she managed to catch the train down and see me. She'd been calling me every day, but it seems I'd been hanging up after mistaking her for a scammer.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Nope

Explain please using facts how you can be charged for an incoming call (apart from if you have accepted a reverse charge from the operator).

I'll try finding some documentation. You can't get charged for the inbound call per se normally, but if you interact with the call ie press one to speak to someone at network level this part of the call now becomes or can become outbound despite not terminating the call. Likewise if you transfer an inbound call to someone else this part of the call is actually normally now an outbound call on your behalf. From party a, you are part y b, and party a and c are talking to each other on your outbound call to party c. It works the same usually when you conference other people into a call. As opposed to them dialling into a bridge. It's quite straightforward using an open source pabx such as asterisk. This bit isn't a scam, it's by design. Or another way you can get charged is by the actual number being and international one. By actual number I don't mean the one you see on your screen. The cli displayed can be anything. Letters even. It isn't the actual number that's phoning you see displayed It's the bit which the network shows you. Which is just a display name. Just like the display name on an email address really. I'll see if I have and documentation somewhere. It's also how contact centres might make you think you are getting a local call to get better answer rates. Eg all numbers dialled into Brighton could display 01273 just by looking at your postcode.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
other half thought she was ringing Amazon to complain about a £6 book not arriving - managed to call a scam number that did connect her call to Amazon in the end - but was all at premium rate - cost about £60 something on the next phone bill - and we ended up with two copies of the £6 book

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
other half thought she was ringing Amazon to complain about a £6 book not arriving - managed to call a scam number that did connect her call to Amazon in the end - but was all at premium rate - cost about £60 something on the next phone bill - and we ended up with two copies of the £6 book

Ouch that's a particularly nasty one. Intrigued how that was executed

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here