Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Fulham have sacked Slavisa Jokanovic.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Fulham have been quite unlucky in some ways, not taking good chances (Sessegnon sitter at the Amex for the win...) and letting in soft goals. Fine margins, but ultimately - if you're bottom of a league which contains two already teams, you're doing something wrong. I like Claudio Ranieri, but he's not a good manager as such. I think he was the right man at the right time for Leicester, inherited quite a squad of players and got amazingly lucky with N'Golo Kante (he was not their first choice central midfield target) allowing him to play a front 4, effectively. I'm not trying to diminish the achievement of winning the league, but let's not forget he tanked with Greece and rightly got the sack.

I quite like Fulham, but I think they're doomed. I thought that when they hired Hodgson though, 10 years ago. I was wrong then, I wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong again!

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Fulham have been quite unlucky in some ways, not taking good chances (Sessegnon sitter at the Amex for the win...) and letting in soft goals. Fine margins, but ultimately - if you're bottom of a league which contains two already teams, you're doing something wrong. I like Claudio Ranieri, but he's not a good manager as such. I think he was the right man at the right time for Leicester, inherited quite a squad of players and got amazingly lucky with N'Golo Kante (he was not their first choice central midfield target) allowing him to play a front 4, effectively. I'm not trying to diminish the achievement of winning the league, but let's not forget he tanked with Greece and rightly got the sack.

I quite like Fulham, but I think they're doomed. I thought that when they hired Hodgson though, 10 years ago. I was wrong then, I wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong again!
You forgetting we missed a pen against them for a win?

Letting in 31 goals in 12 games isn't unlucky.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
You've got me all wrong, I also want us to attack, and know we can do it when we're all playing well, I've made that quite clear. I've also made it clear that I don't think it is all tactical, or entirely down to Hughton, that it is also down to players form, confidence, ability, and of course a large slice of what the opposition brings to the table. The post really is aimed at anyone that thinks it is simply tactics and a switch the manager just has to turn on or off.

You think it's largely tactical, at present I think it is largely not being quite good enough, and not quite being on our game. We can be attacking, and we have been, but we are a side that needs a large portion of team being on their game for that to happen.

Fair enough. Maybe I have misinterpreted what you've said.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
he probably means he will allow them to buy one not him actually buy them one. or even give them a burger after the game on the trip home instead of healthy food or fish and chips as it used to be.

To quote [MENTION=29619]sussex_guy2k2[/MENTION] "it was a joke BG"

Besides which if you actually read the original article Ranieri is quoted as saying "have to promise something more. Pizza is not enough now. Better [to treat] everybody to McDonald’s! I hope to pay for a McDonald’s big burger very soon!"

I hope the Premier League throw the book at the cheats.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Sunday Red tops are saying that the first signing in January will be Danny Drinkwater. CR said he has never been back to a old club for a signing but will break that rule this time, Not saying whether loan or purchase.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
He's the only one of that list that is at all important.

The problem isn't personnel, it is set up. I've read that Slav didn't show the league enough respect, because he tried to play the same way. I don't necessarily buy that, though they have been naïve at times.

The big problem I think has been the breaking up of the Golden (midfield) Triangle, of Cairney, Johansen and McDonald (Norwood was largely the back-up to Cairney). These three were utterly instrumental to everything good the side did in the Championship, and I think the manager should have shown more faith in them.

What say you, [MENTION=28448]BrightonCottager[/MENTION] ?
Slav hasn't been defensively minded enough, that's for sure. We have been noticeably better with a three quarters fit Cairney this season but he's still not 100%. McDonald is - I'm afraid - too slow for the Premier League and Johansen's shithousery hasn't worked as the oppo players are just bypassing him. It was difficult for Slav to justify keeping the midfield as he splurged £24m plus on Seri, who hasn't been firing on all cylinders, and probably cost more than that.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Monster game at the Cottage this weekend v Southampton. I guess a morale-sapping draw would do nicely for us, both dropping points and keeps them in the mire.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The Sunday Red tops are saying that the first signing in January will be Danny Drinkwater. CR said he has never been back to a old club for a signing but will break that rule this time, Not saying whether loan or purchase.

I think Drinkwater would be an astute signing for Fulham, someone who is prepared to get down and dirty and do the spade work in midfield. Not good news for us perhaps but l fancy Ranieri can keep them up. Plenty of experience and indeed success in managing in the Premier League, and will make Fulham a lot harder to beat than previously.

Under Jokanovic they continued to play in the same all out attacking style that brought them promotion, but as Chris Hughton knows, that doesn't work in the Premier League.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Monster game at the Cottage this weekend v Southampton. I guess a morale-sapping draw would do nicely for us, both dropping points and keeps them in the mire.

Agree. If Southampton lose that could spell the end for Mark Hughes. No doubt Charlie Austin and him will be blaming the officials if they do walk away empty handed. The Parklife You Tube effort was surprisingly funny.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We should hope that Southampton get a draw at Fulham thus keeping both dropping points and Hughes in a job. If someone has to win I hope it is Southampton as I am sure Hughes will not keep it going but Ranieri will pick Fulham up, whether or not enough, is debatable.

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Alternatively both gain a point while we drop 3, after the one shot on target is saved.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I don't get all this belief that Ranieri will be good for Fulham. This is a man who masterminded a home defeat by the Faroe Islands when he was in charge of Greece. He was lucky at Leicester with an injury-free season with Mahrez, Vardy, Huth, Morgan and others all having career years while the usual top six were all off the pace. Most of his team was already in place. He had to be persuaded by his coaching staff to sign N'Golo Kante because he thought he was too small, and even after buying him he tried to play him on the wing. He was leading the team towards relegation in his second season so Leicester sacked him. I remain to be convinced that he will improve Fulham enough to lead them to safety. Good luck to him if he does, as long as it's not at our expense.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Alternatively both gain a point while we drop 3, after the one shot on target is saved.

Whatever we end up doing its still better for them both to drop points IMO. Keeps their depressing winless streaks intact, keeps them both deep in the shit, keeps them scraping around looking for 'positives'.

We're due a performance at the Amex. Not many outside the elite leave with much (albeit Leicester were the ones who did last season).

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Slav hasn't been defensively minded enough, that's for sure. We have been noticeably better with a three quarters fit Cairney this season but he's still not 100%. McDonald is - I'm afraid - too slow for the Premier League and Johansen's shithousery hasn't worked as the oppo players are just bypassing him. It was difficult for Slav to justify keeping the midfield as he splurged £24m plus on Seri, who hasn't been firing on all cylinders, and probably cost more than that.
Listened to the Fulhamish stats podcast last night and we're also playing with our midfield too far up the pitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here