Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Fulham have sacked Slavisa Jokanovic.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Talk about playing to an agenda. People aren't demanding we go full throttle attack like Fulham, just that there's more balance i.e. our wingers actually go beyond the half way line more than twice a game and that we, shock horror, try to score some goals once in a while.

Talking of agendas, we would all like our side to be playing better. There is a difference to believing this is solely on instruction from the manager and is purely tactical, or that regardless of the manager, the players are struggling for form and confidence in order to retain possession and break or build attacks.

There needs to be a reality check for some that we are up against very good sides and regardless of whether you are sent out to attack, if the opposition keeps the ball better you'll be up against it. People were disappointed with our win against Wolves, and yet they have looked great all season, and should have won at the Emirates at the weekend.

I agree, would be great to see us attack more, threaten the goal more, but assuming this is just tactical is ridiculous in my opinion.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Talking of agendas, we would all like our side to be playing better. There is a difference to believing this is solely on instruction from the manager and is purely tactical, or that regardless of the manager, the players are struggling for form and confidence in order to retain possession and break or build attacks.

There needs to be a reality check for some that we are up against very good sides and regardless of whether you are sent out to attack, if the opposition keeps the ball better you'll be up against it. People were disappointed with our win against Wolves, and yet they have looked great all season, and should have won at the Emirates at the weekend.

I agree, would be great to see us attack more, threaten the goal more, but assuming this is just tactical is ridiculous in my opinion.

That's far too sensible...…….

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Fulham had a massive squad upheaval from last season, spent around £100m quickly right at the back-end of the transfer window, and basically threw their team up in the air, having to replace a number of loan signings who helped get them up. They've barely fielded the same back 4 two games running, and on Saturday they played their 3rd goalkeeper this season. Its no wonder they're a bit of a shambles. Middlesbrough did something similar when they got promoted (at our expense), made wholesale changes, and crashed straight back down again after truly stinking the place out all season.

The team hasn't gelled, and there's rumours of festering resentment within the squad from players who have lost their place to the new boys, who just don't look up to it in this league. Ranieri is certainly going to have his work cut out sorting out all that.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I think Ranieri will sort Fulham out and keep them up. Excellent news. More chance of Palace going down that way

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Good news for all the crap Premier League clubs, Fulham (R) are now relegated along with Huddersfield (R) and Cardiff (R), in that order I would guess.

I like Claudio Ranieri, but his miracle has happened and I question whether he really had anything to do with it or not.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Good news for all the crap Premier League clubs, Fulham (R) are now relegated along with Huddersfield (R) and Cardiff (R), in that order I would guess.

I like Claudio Ranieri, but his miracle has happened and I question whether he really had anything to do with it or not.

Are you saying Craig Shakespeare was the brains behind the greatest title win in history ?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The team hasn't gelled, and there's rumours of festering resentment within the squad from players who have lost their place to the new boys, who just don't look up to it in this league. Ranieri is certainly going to have his work cut out sorting out all that.

This is where I think we did better than anyone could have hoped for last season in how well Ryan, Propper, Gross and Izquierdo settled in, nothing short of incredible really. This season it is obviously not been as easy, and with injuries we really could have been struggling. The team spirit that has pervaded this side for a good 3 years though is still very much intact and we are punching above our weight because of that. I think the is a bit of patience needed as keeping the points ticking over will enable us to grow into the season as we did last year. Don't think we are too far off getting back to some more attacking displays.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore

This.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Are you saying Craig Shakespeare was the brains behind the greatest title win in history ?

Schmeichel, Simpson, Morgan, Huth, Fuchs, Drinkwater, Kante, Mahrez, Albrighton, Okazaki, Vardy.

I don't believe the manager had too much to do with organising the team but what he did was have a spine of a team which picked itself every week and was motivated and determined to win every game. Not every home game, like us. But EVERY game, home and away. No inferiority complex about "not being one of the bigger sides in the division", not believing they should be happy "just to compete". They played their game in every fixture, and got their rewards. Why other teams haven't thought they're also good enough to have a real go is beyond me. Anyone want to tell me why this group shouldn't have the same level of ambition?;

Ryan, Bruno, Duffy, Dunk, Bong, Stephens, Propper, Jahanbakhsh, Gross, Izquierdo, Murray.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This is where I think we did better than anyone could have hoped for last season in how well Ryan, Propper, Gross and Izquierdo settled in, nothing short of incredible really. This season it is obviously not been as easy, and with injuries we really could have been struggling. The team spirit that has pervaded this side for a good 3 years though is still very much intact and we are punching above our weight because of that. I think the is a bit of patience needed as keeping the points ticking over will enable us to grow into the season as we did last year. Don't think we are too far off getting back to some more attacking displays.
That's because it's the same team!!!!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Agreed.

The core of the squad that got us promoted is still largely intact, and thats a massive advantage IMO. We've made a few quality additions here and there to strengthen the 1st team and add to the depth of the squad, but what Hughton hasn't done is thrown the baby out with the bathwater. Neither did Adams / Taylor when we went through L2 and then straight through L1, and neither did Gus when we smashed L1 either. Its SO important to get the balance right between recruiting the quality you need when you step up a league, but skillfully integrating that with whats already there, and what got you there.

BHA seem pretty good at that. Its good planning, and good scouting.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Fulham had a massive squad upheaval from last season, spent around £100m quickly right at the back-end of the transfer window, and basically threw their team up in the air, having to replace a number of loan signings who helped get them up.

Other than Ollie Norwood, who they CHOSE to replace, rather than HAD to replace, what loan signings did they have last year, that are not there (on loan or perm) this year?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Other than Ollie Norwood, who they CHOSE to replace, rather than HAD to replace, what loan signings did they have last year, that are not there (on loan or perm) this year?

Kalas (Chelsea), Ojo (Liverpool), Soares (Porto), Graham (Wolves), Targett (Southampton), Woodrow (Bristol C), Sigurdsson (Ruben Kazan), Williams (St Johnstone), Sanchez (Celta Vigo). All loan signings during last season, none of them in this years PL squad. Some of them might have been good, bad or indifferent, but its quite an overhaul.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

Exactly... because they're a better balanced team than we are and Fulham are. Your agenda is that playing attacking football has dire consequences because you're up against better sides but that simply isn't what most are calling for. They're asking for more balanced football. For every Fulham who become too attacking, there's a Bournemouth, a Southampton for a fair few years, Swansea for a fair few years, all of whom played good, balanced football against good sides. None of these teams felt the need to sit back the whole game waiting to be spanked.

You think some of us need a reality check. I'd argue you do. If you genuinely think that the issues we have aren't tactical, then you've not been watching us very closely in the whole time CH has been our manager.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Schmeichel, Simpson, Morgan, Huth, Fuchs, Drinkwater, Kante, Mahrez, Albrighton, Okazaki, Vardy.

I don't believe the manager had too much to do with organising the team but what he did was have a spine of a team which picked itself every week and was motivated and determined to win every game. Not every home game, like us. But EVERY game, home and away. No inferiority complex about "not being one of the bigger sides in the division", not believing they should be happy "just to compete". They played their game in every fixture, and got their rewards. Why other teams haven't thought they're also good enough to have a real go is beyond me. Anyone want to tell me why this group shouldn't have the same level of ambition?;

Ryan, Bruno, Duffy, Dunk, Bong, Stephens, Propper, Jahanbakhsh, Gross, Izquierdo, Murray.

Are you saying Ranieri had no influence on Leicester winning the league? Why, because they had some good players? Probably not as good as most league winning teams. Very odd. Anyway even if you are it doesn't matter. He doesn't have to win Fulham the league, all he has to do is keep them up. A totally different skillset in required for this, A point a game from where they are could well be enough. They've got a world cup winner, a goalscorer who most clubs in the division would have and a smattering of midfielders of wingers who are at least mid table quality. All Ranieri has to do is shore them up at the back up and keep them in touch until January when they can bring in a couple of Centre Backs.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Kalas (Chelsea), Ojo (Liverpool), Soares (Porto), Graham (Wolves), Targett (Southampton), Woodrow (Bristol C), Sigurdsson (Ruben Kazan), Williams (St Johnstone), Sanchez (Celta Vigo). All loan signings during last season, none of them in this years PL squad. Some of them might have been good, bad or indifferent, but its quite an overhaul.

Out of these, Targett was the crucial one. He was a much better RB than Sessegnon R and freed the latter up to play more like a wingback and score crucial goals. And I also thought Norwood was an excellent loan signing.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I hope so! Was a bit surprised at the timing of this as I thought we were looking better against Liverpool. If he gets us well organised, harder to beat and reignites Mitro, then we should be safe.

Do try and beat Palace next time!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here