Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Fulham have sacked Slavisa Jokanovic.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Exactly... because they're a better balanced team than we are and Fulham are. Your agenda is that playing attacking football has dire consequences because you're up against better sides but that simply isn't what most are calling for. They're asking for more balanced football. For every Fulham who become too attacking, there's a Bournemouth, a Southampton for a fair few years, Swansea for a fair few years, all of whom played good, balanced football against good sides. None of these teams felt the need to sit back the whole game waiting to be spanked.

You think some of us need a reality check. I'd argue you do. If you genuinely think that the issues we have aren't tactical, then you've not been watching us very closely in the whole time CH has been our manager.

What, where on earth have I said that? Can't waste time discussing with you if you're just going to read what you feel like into other people's posts. Other's appear to have understood my posts well enough, so pretty sure it's not a lack of clarity on my part.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Out of these, Targett was the crucial one. He was a much better RB than Sessegnon R and freed the latter up to play more like a wingback and score crucial goals. And I also thought Norwood was an excellent loan signing.

He's the only one of that list that is at all important.

The problem isn't personnel, it is set up. I've read that Slav didn't show the league enough respect, because he tried to play the same way. I don't necessarily buy that, though they have been naïve at times.

The big problem I think has been the breaking up of the Golden (midfield) Triangle, of Cairney, Johansen and McDonald (Norwood was largely the back-up to Cairney). These three were utterly instrumental to everything good the side did in the Championship, and I think the manager should have shown more faith in them.

What say you, [MENTION=28448]BrightonCottager[/MENTION] ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Out of these, Targett was the crucial one. He was a much better RB than Sessegnon R and freed the latter up to play more like a wingback and score crucial goals. And I also thought Norwood was an excellent loan signing.

Unusual for a team with so many loan signings to get promoted though - something clearly "clicked" for you to go on that run after the turn of the year that drove you into the top 6 and then past Villa in the Final (which I greatly enjoyed btw). Cairney is the one who always stood out for me, he's a class act.

The last time BHA was RAMMED full of loans under Micky Adams Mk2, it was a complete and utter disaster, we nearly went down.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Other than the 4 players I mentioned, over a third of the side. :wink:

2 of which aren't playing, 1 who rarely players and the last one has to play despite being easily overlooked. :lol:

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I still can't get it out of my head that Ranieri is just not that good - he has pulled off arguably the most incredible title win in English Footballing history and yet I can't believe that he is THAT good.. my bad I am sure, but.. Hard to think that a manager within 6 months is deemed not good enough following such a golden period. We are only in Mid-November, with everything to play for. Guess we never know what is going on behind the scenes at any club, but feel sorry for the guy on what I see.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Ranieri the tinkerman - that won't be good for Fulham as there's already been too much upheaval in personnel. However, if he can identify his best line-up quickly then this could be a good fit.

He should know all about Serri and LeMarchand from last season with Nantes in the French league and may get more out of them, his favoured style should suit Fulham.

Fair play to Fulham for making the move now, I fancy the players will believe they can finish above Cardiff, Huddersfield and Southampton. Mark Hughes must be a worried man.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Ranieri the tinkerman.

Is this an unfair title based on a very tiny sample of someone's career, a bit like James Hunt being labelled Hunt the Shunt?

James Hunt didn't have anymore crashes than anyone else, other drivers like Scheckter and Lauda actually can be quoted as saying he was technically very good, and you felt safe that he wouldn't take unnecessary risks. Hunt the Shunt was just a good pun that stuck that unfortunately defined Hunt as reckless on the track when he wasn't, is 'Ranieri the tinkerman' just that nightmare season he had at Chelsea?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have no idea how Leicester won the title.
I have even less idea why Ranieri stayed for the next season.
I have even even less idea why any other club would employ him now.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Hardly a surprise that he has gone as it was predicted by me and many others 2 or 3 weeks ago when the writing was on the wall, long before the defeat at Liverpool. The good thing for Ranieri is that the owner should have the money he was going to spend on Wembley available to make signings in January so I would expect 3 or 4.to be made.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
If Ranieri keeps them up this season and wins the league next season, will he be the greatest ever manager?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Hardly a surprise that he has gone as it was predicted by me and many others 2 or 3 weeks ago when the writing was on the wall, long before the defeat at Liverpool. The good thing for Ranieri is that the owner should have the money he was going to spend on Wembley available to make signings in January so I would expect 3 or 4.to be made.

They have made too many already, giving Tinkerman more players would be like giving an alcoholic another beer. His greatest success was at Leicester with a settled team each game

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
They have made too many already, giving Tinkerman more players would be like giving an alcoholic another beer. His greatest success was at Leicester with a settled team each game

I was thinking that obviously some of the team aren't good enough so replacements are needed and he will be given the money to get them and with his knowledge that shouldn't be difficult. Perhaps he may not like Mitrovic and his style of play.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
What, where on earth have I said that? Can't waste time discussing with you if you're just going to read what you feel like into other people's posts. Other's appear to have understood my posts well enough, so pretty sure it's not a lack of clarity on my part.

It's about insinuation, and you know it. This is the quote from your first post, where you've managed to turn the sacking of another club's manager into a dig at some of our own fans for wanting us to attack once in a while - "It's funny though, Jokanovic's attacking priority, trying different players in different formations, experimentation – all things many on these boards crave. You have to have the players to do it. Simple as that."

It's a post which screams "you guys that want attacking football are idiots because this is what'll happen if we try". I disagree with your implication. I think we have the players to play attacking football and I don't think we're utilising them effectively. I think the issue is largely tactical. You threw out your agenda bait and I took a bite.

But you're right, we clearly have different opinions so we'll leave this.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

What are the lottery numbers BG?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Good news for us, I think. Ranieri's title-winning season was an outlier in an otherwise undistinguished recent managerial record and didn't stop Leicester sacking him.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's about insinuation, and you know it. This is the quote from your first post, where you've managed to turn the sacking of another club's manager into a dig at some of our own fans for wanting us to attack once in a while - "It's funny though, Jokanovic's attacking priority, trying different players in different formations, experimentation – all things many on these boards crave. You have to have the players to do it. Simple as that."

It's a post which screams "you guys that want attacking football are idiots because this is what'll happen if we try". I disagree with your implication. I think we have the players to play attacking football and I don't think we're utilising them effectively. I think the issue is largely tactical. You threw out your agenda bait and I took a bite.

But you're right, we clearly have different opinions so we'll leave this.

You've got me all wrong, I also want us to attack, and know we can do it when we're all playing well, I've made that quite clear. I've also made it clear that I don't think it is all tactical, or entirely down to Hughton, that it is also down to players form, confidence, ability, and of course a large slice of what the opposition brings to the table. The post really is aimed at anyone that thinks it is simply tactics and a switch the manager just has to turn on or off.

You think it's largely tactical, at present I think it is largely not being quite good enough, and not quite being on our game. We can be attacking, and we have been, but we are a side that needs a large portion of team being on their game for that to happen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here