Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who would you rather have on the bench v Leicester?

Who would you rather have on the bench v Leicester?

• Jurgen Locadia

Votes: 50 31.6%
  • Aaron Connolly

Votes: 108 68.4%

• Total voters

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
He may prove to be an excellent player and if he is then I suspect he'll get his chance, so apologies for allowing a few facts to get in the way of this Connolly wankfest but:

* He wasn't all that great against Luton in that same nothing competition.
* He's made one first team appearance - against a second string Southampton team. We failed to score. At home.
* There is a reason why our pretty decent scouting network saw fit to pay £17m for Locadia. I'm not saying we don't have duds or that Locadia has come close to justifying that price tag, but what makes anyone think a kid with 3 "first team" (loosely) appearances to his name is ready to step up to the Premier league.

And how long did Connolly get on the pitch in the Southampton game?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
An argument that doesn't seem to bother those who have given up on Locadia - a player who has started about 5 games in two seasons for us.

Two seasons? We signed Locadia on 18th of Jan 2018. A part of two seasons perhaps

Don't disagree in principle that he hasn't had enough of a chance to shine ... but, making out Connolly should have done better against Saints when he came on in stoppage time? Locadia two seasons? Do you think you might be distorting some facts a little bit?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Two seasons? We signed Locadia on 18th of Jan 2018. A part of two seasons perhaps

Don't disagree in principle that he hasn't had enough of a chance to shine ... but, making out Connolly should have done better against Saints when he came on in stoppage time? Locadia two seasons? Do you think you might be distorting some facts a little bit?
I'm not making out Connolly should have done better at all. I'm pointing out that in the one game he played - at home against the second string of an already very poor Premier league team - he didn't pull up any trees. As for Locadia, that was a genuine mistake on my part, but 5 starts in just under a calendar year hardly disproves the point I was trying to make.

For what it's worth, Locadia hasn't impressed me either, but I just don't understand the clamour for replacing him with Connolly.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm not making out Connolly should have done better at all. I'm pointing out that in the one game he played - at home against the second string of an already very poor Premier league team - he didn't pull up any trees. As for Locadia, that was a genuine mistake on my part, but 5 starts in just under a calendar year hardly disproves the point I was trying to make.

For what it's worth, Locadia hasn't impressed me either, but I just don't understand the clamour for replacing him with Connolly.

Where's this clamour of which you speak?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
:lolol:

I don't think Ireland are going to pick a player who hasn't played a single minute for his full team in the league

You might want to take back that :lolol: [MENTION=159]Stumpy Tim[/MENTION]

Such is the paucity of their options, that the squad for this week, includes Southampton's Michael Obafemi.

Obafemi, is 18 years old, is smaller than Connolly, and has made ONE Southampton appearance in the league, as an 82nd minute substitute (in which he missed an open goal, IIRC).

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You might want to take back that :lolol: [MENTION=159]Stumpy Tim[/MENTION]

Such is the paucity of their options, that the squad for this week, includes Southampton's Michael Obafemi.

Obafemi, is 18 years old, is smaller than Connolly, and has made ONE Southampton appearance in the league, as an 82nd minute substitute (in which he missed an open goal, IIRC).

* Irish - check
* Southampton - check
* hardly starts - check
* misses sitters when he does get on the pitch - check

A young black Shane Long then.

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton
Its all a bit flavour of the month isn't it ...people were calling for Gyokeres (?) and now the other chap.....right now Locadia for me

In addition lets not forget that CH gave Gyokeres the nod at Cardiff and played him in the C Cup earlier in the season..is he higher up the pecking list than Connelly?

I think he is higher up the pecking order because of where he plays. Gyokeres can play in one of the wide positions so more places up for grabs there than Connolly going for one spot against Murray, Andone, Locadia.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Clamour (noun): A strongly expressed protest or demand from a large number of people.

Not sure I'm seeing that at all.
So you're basically arguing that a 66%-33% majority does't constitute a clamour. I'm not sure it was even worth discussing.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So you're basically arguing that a 66%-33% majority does't constitute a clamour. I'm not sure it was even worth discussing.

There's no strongly expressed protest or demand is there? I know you're not very good at backing down, but really?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Didn't pull up trees? Sorry mate, got to say this again, Connolly came on in stoppage time against Saints, probably was on, from memory between 1 and 2 minutes. I think he lost an ariel challenge from a 60 yard hoof against a defender he was giving away a foot to and didn't get time for any other involvement. It's totally irrelevant to say how good or otherwise Southampton were and totally wrong to make out in any way Hughton's decision of who to put on the bench (and it is a decision he has to make now) should be down to what Connolly did against Saints

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
There's no strongly expressed protest or demand is there? I know you're not very good at backing down, but really?
Whatever you say boss. And I'll look out for your posts on here to see how backing down should be done then. :lolol:

Didn't pull up trees? Sorry mate, got to say this again, Connolly came on in stoppage time against Saints, probably was on, from memory between 1 and 2 minutes. I think he lost an ariel challenge from a 60 yard hoof against a defender he was giving away a foot to and didn't get time for any other involvement. It's totally irrelevant to say how good or otherwise Southampton were and totally wrong to make out in any way Hughton's decision of who to put on the bench (and it is a decision he has to make now) should be down to what Connolly did against Saints
Ah fair enough, I wrongly assumed Connolly had started in that one, I got that wrong.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
If it’s a choice between those two I’d pick Connolly, strictly on by what I’ve seen of the both of them , Locadia seems way out of his depth whereas Connolly hasn’t tried the water , I’d wager a large percentage that are voting have never even seen Connolly play so pinch of salt poll really .

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He looked outstanding last night against MKD. Very clinical finisher, very fast and whilst short, looked strong too. He won't be bullied.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I've seen both and would narrowly go for Locadia. He seems to have been leapfrogged by March for the support striker role and Andone for the last 20 minutes for Murray role. If he's now leapfrogged by an 18 year old, that would be the end for Jurgen. Hughton, I don't think, would do that to his confidence.

I expect to see Locadia on the bench

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here