Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 12 foreign players per Premier League squad post-Brexit

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Obviously there’s some grey shades over what constitutes ‘foreign’ is this context.

The current AFCB squad includes;

Boruc (Poland)
Begovic (Bosnia)
Ake (Netherlands)
Rico (Spain)
Lerma (Colombia)
Brooks (Wales)
Fraser (Scotland)
King (Norway)
Mousset (France)

:shrug:

Much as I’d like to I struggle to consider Welsh and Scottish players as “foreign”. I guess there are some “home grown” players in that list?

Is the proposal really just for English players rather than British so excluding Irish, Welsh and Scottish?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Say goodbye to England progressing to the later stages of any major competition, and failing to qualify for some. This is based on the quality of English teams falling, thereby they no longer progress beyond the group stages of the Champions League.Just look at the woeful performance of Burnley this season in the Europa League in failing to even qualify for the group stages, to see what homegrown talent will achieve,

TV revenues will fall, as the overseas market will not be seeing the same number of star players as they are now, with the knock on effect of the leading players currently in the league drift away to higher paying leagues, and replacements are of far lower quality.

Virtually turkeys voting for Christmas if this is passed

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Much as I’d like to I struggle to consider Welsh and Scottish players as “foreign”. I guess there are some “home grown” players in that list?

Is the proposal really just for English players rather than British so excluding Irish, Welsh and Scottish?

I’d presume the actual requirement is ‘home grown at an a English club’ rather than actually English. In that context Brooks, Ake and King are not ‘foreign’

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
TV revenues will fall, as the overseas market will not be seeing the same number of star players as they are now, with the knock on effect of the leading players currently in the league drift away to higher paying leagues.

Roll on that day!

Players will have to rely on merely high wages rather than obscene ones, and with the reduction in TV money, clubs will have to take more notice of their fans, whose footfall will be a far more significant proportion of their income than at present. Welcome to the ground, people - if there's any empty seats on match day we'll let you buy one, bring your own flask of tea - and will we pay £250K for the FA CE's leaving bonus? Will we f***!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Roll on that day!

Players will have to rely on merely high wages rather than obscene ones, and with the reduction in TV money, clubs will have to take more notice of their fans, whose footfall will be a far more significant proportion of their income than at present. Welcome to the ground, people - if there's any empty seats on match day we'll let you buy one, bring your own flask of tea - and will we pay £250K for the FA CE's leaving bonus? Will we f***!

In other words welcome to Scottish football standards

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Fantastic news. Give young British players a much better chance.

If true, then I agree with you. It would be nice to once again have a squad with a decent number of British players … whose names we could pronounce.

D

Deleted member 18477

I preferred football when teams had the majority from their home nationality. Champions league games felt like World Cup games where I'd always want the English team to win. These days I'm glad when Chelsea, Spurs, Man City and Man Utd get knocked out. And couldn't care less about Arsenal or Liverpool just dislike them less.

Nothing will change though and even if that did happen the big teams would just have all the best English players. The League table would be unaffected unless suddenly everyone grew some loyalty again...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
In other words welcome to Scottish football standards

Liverpool v. Man.Utd. will still be a big match. It would be if it was a team of lads from Scotland Road against a team of lads from Moss Side. Brighton v. Palarse will still be Brighton v. Palarse (full of rubbish Scottish-standard players like Dunk, Stephens, Murray, March, and....OK, yes Zaha). Lack of (some) foreigners? - pfft!

I would say, Oh Gawd! Project **** again, but we've quite rightly been told not to mention ****** on this thread!

zefarelly

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'd make this rule law Brekshit or not, nations need to be identifiable.

If that means one eyed donkeys, alcoholic strikers with mullets and paraplegic terrapins with their legs stapled together, then so be it.

Invicta

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
I'd make this rule law Brekshit or not, nations need to be identifiable.

If that means one eyed donkeys, alcoholic strikers with mullets and paraplegic terrapins with their legs stapled together, then so be it.

Like when we had Biley and Worthington, sounds good!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Can only help the National team so it’s a yes from me :)

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Wow! a good thing from Brexit!

My 12 - Ryan, Duffy, Bruno, Kayal, Izquierdo, Knockaert, Andone, Bissouma, Bong, Propper, Gross, Jahanbaksh

Duffy was born in Derry and came through the Everton system so presumably counts as British. What, I wonder, about players such as Connolly and Molumby, who are from south of the new hard Irish border?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here