Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 12 foreign players per Premier League squad post-Brexit

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Bloody good idea I say and hats off to Bournemouth.
Will strengthen the national team as well.

There’s little evidence to support that.

Next to non British players in English football in 1974, 1978, 1994 but failed to qualify for the World Cup.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
There’s little evidence to support that.

Next to non British players in English football in 1974, 1978, 1994 but failed to qualify for the World Cup.

You telling me that Andy Sinton wasn't a great England player?

Using Spurs as an example.

I am not sure how Ryan Mason, Tom Carroll, John Obika etc would make a difference to the England team if playing in the PL

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Connor Wickham will be in high demand

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
This is dangerous territory. Has someone finally come up with a "plus" from Brexit? The question was asked a year ago on the Brexit thread and still no one has answered it....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If true, then I agree with you. It would be nice to once again have a squad with a decent number of British players … whose names we could pronounce.

Commiserations - impossible to tell on a text forum when someone has a speech defect. Presumably you grew ups with an abiding resentment of Mary Poppins?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZNRzc3hWvE

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This is dangerous territory. Has someone finally come up with a "plus" from Brexit? The question was asked a year ago on the Brexit thread and still no one has answered it....

Not convinced it's a plus in reality. If wages went way down as entertainment standard goes down, the best players will simply play wherever pays them best, i.e. abroad with less regulation - we're already seeing players go to China/USA at younger and younger ages, this will only accelerate that IMO.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not convinced it's a plus in reality. If wages went way down as entertainment standard goes down, the best players will simply play wherever pays them best, i.e. abroad with less regulation - we're already seeing players go to China/USA at younger and younger ages, this will only accelerate that IMO.

No worries, of they go then. 'Bye 'bye - we'll still have football.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes let's lower standards, and force talented players away, it's bound to be a winner

I think that most on NSC would agree that the Championship was far more entertaining anyway, so win-win all round. We stay in the (competitive) PL with all the fun and games of the Championship.

The quality of football may have improved (in some ways) but do you seriously think that Brighton v. Palace is more exciting and more enjoyable than it was back in the 70s and 80s?
Good luck with that one.......................

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Say goodbye to England progressing to the later stages of any major competition, and failing to qualify for some. This is based on the quality of English teams falling, thereby they no longer progress beyond the group stages of the Champions League.Just look at the woeful performance of Burnley this season in the Europa League in failing to even qualify for the group stages, to see what homegrown talent will achieve,

How does that work then, are you saying that English teams in the past which contained very few (if any) foreign players shouldn't have had the success they did in European competition because they didn't contain enough foreign players at the time?

TV revenues will fall, as the overseas market will not be seeing the same number of star players as they are now, with the knock on effect of the leading players currently in the league drift away to higher paying leagues, and replacements are of far lower quality.

Virtually turkeys voting for Christmas if this is passed

Surely it's the fact that they play in the PL that helps make them famous, rather than being famous and then joining the PL in most cases

How many of our foreign players would have been seen as a reason to watch PL football by those living abroad? - How many are tuning in because of the likes of Suttner, Schelotto, and other fringe players in our squad? but wouldn't tune in if they weren't at our club? (same applies to foreign fringe players at other PL teams)

Surely players become star players because of how they do in the league, and if it means that we have more British (or English) star players than we currently do now, how do you think that will put off people from watching?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I’d presume the actual requirement is ‘home grown at an a English club’ rather than actually English. In that context Brooks, Ake and King are not ‘foreign’

Wouldn't this just lead to more talented foreign prospects being snapped up by PL clubs so that if they do make it, they will be classed as home grown and not subjected to the 12 foreign player limit rules?

Couldn't be counter productive and mean that young British players miss out on joining the PL academies as a result or we could just end up with even larger academies and more and more talented players drifting away from the game when they don't cut it at these top clubs?

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I can't see this getting through. The clubs have too much power.

It won't, but why not run around hysterically, jazz hands aloft? It's the norm for anyone who wants to remain in the EU.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here