Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Richard Scudamore: Premier League clubs asked for £250,000 towards £5m bonus

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Absolutely horrifying that the Premier League think this stuff is credible. A bloke who's done a great job admittedly - but has been paid handsomely for it - and no doubt isn't going to be impacted by another freebie £5 million on top. If the Albion have a spare £250,000 sitting in the kitty then I'd suggest they send it to Eastbourne Borough, Worthing, Burgess Hill, Horsham, Whitehawk etc only to be spent on club facilities that will bear the Scudamore name in recognition.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Oh, honestly. It's only £250k per club. He has negotiated huge rewards from TV rights which incidentally benefited Albion enormously. There's really no need for all this bedwetting. And I can't stand people who only put a fiver in leavers collections - surely it's a tenner now or don't bother!

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
Shame he did not manage to put a nest egg aside from his “living wage”. Shame too that his package did not include pension provision either. Not sure how he will cope.

Sad state of the beautiful game.

Acker79

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
All twenty clubs paying £250K? That seems so unfair. Why must the likes of Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham have to shoulder the financial burden of being in a 20 team league? No, this clearly won't do. I propose the other 14 teams pay £500,000 each, give £5m to Scudamore, and the remaining 2 million can be split between the big six as a thank you for letting us be in the same division.

Seriously, though. If this is meant to be a retirement gift that reflects everything he has done for the premier league, why aren't former prem clubs being offered the chance to contribute something? I mean, obviously Portsmouth won't get involved, but the Premier League has been a major factor in the modern/recent history of teams like Villa, West Brom, even Norwich and Sunderland.

Acker79

Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Does the Chelsea Chairman have his eye on the job (and the eventual retirement gift)?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
To be fair, £2.5M a year for a CEO of a BILLION pound organisation isn't that great is it ?

Agreed. So he won’t need charity to fund a £5m going away pressie. Why would they have to have a whip round anyway. Don’t they budget for things like this? Perhaps they just like rubbing the fans’ noses in their trough.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That is revolting. I really wish we would say no but looks like it's going to happen. Sickening.

I don’t see how club can justify doing this though. The club have used the line about maximizing revenues for the playing budget numerous times to justify squeezing us for more money. How can they then go and give away this amount of money to an individual under such circumstances? The club will not do it, because they can’t.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Is the idea to buy something for 5 million, or give him the money? If it's to buy something ... what on earth could that be?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Oh, honestly. It's only £250k per club. He has negotiated huge rewards from TV rights which incidentally benefited Albion enormously. There's really no need for all this bedwetting. And I can't stand people who only put a fiver in leavers collections - surely it's a tenner now or don't bother!

Given the money he’s generated for PL clubs this £250k is like finding a fiver down the back of the sofa. Was supposed to be a surprise gift at his leaving do so it’s a bit of a shame it’s been leaked into the public domain and Scudamore hasn’t been given the surprise he deserves.

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
I find this request incredibly odd - I have never heard of anything quite like it.

I wish I could get that kind of bonus after deciding to leave a job!

Invicta

Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Should definately be based on league position, or share of overseas monies. Only fair on the big 6 to pay proportionally more. Sure they will agree.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Who pays the extra £3 for the leaving card then?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here