Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Richard Scudamore: Premier League clubs asked for £250,000 towards £5m bonus

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Can't wait for us to be told how difficult it is to make moves in January due to wages but we can throw a quarter of a million at this bellend.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Buck: Don't make us join great unwashed

Buck seems like such a lovely guy, funny he weas happy to take £250k off the great unwashed to pay for this gift. Scudamore also being kept on in an advisory capacity so not even leaving.

:lolol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm not 'calling Barber out on it'. I did write that I 'look forward to hearing Barber's justification for it' - but that is because Barber WILL undoubtedly be the one to have to explain it, on the club's behalf - just as he is the one to explain to us why it isn't 'commercially viable' to continue to provide 1901 members with the half-time hot drinks that they were promised at sign-up, or why the club NEEDS to charge a five year old £45 for a match ticket bought through the ticket exchange.

Well, quite. He is the voicepiece for the club so if there IS any kind of statement from them, it will undoubtedly be via his pen (or 13 paragraph email).

You're absolutely right though, every piece of pennypinching / budgeting that the club attempts to justify now will always hark back to this "well, we soon found a quarter of a million quid easily enough for Scudamores pension pot didn't we ?"

I just can't BELIEVE we've gone along with it, disappointed is an understatement. And what the hell Cardiff are playing at I do not know, they're only going to be here 5 minutes.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Coming in the same week that we learnt that our subsidy for coach travel to the Amex games was being withdraw leaves a very bad taste in the mouth.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
A ridiculous decision and dreadful PR for all concerned. Why they feel the need to contribute such a huge amount to someone who has been handsomely paid for doing his job is hard to comprehend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
. And what the hell Cardiff are playing at I do not know, they're only going to be here 5 minutes.

I hope I'm bang wrong, but the only motivation I can think of for the likes of Buck, Barber and co, is that someone currently working as a highly-regarded CEO at a Prem club, think they might be siting in Scudamore's chair one day, and they are happy to set a precedent...

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Dreadful decision. And I hope Barber will allow proper questioning of the tome of justification and second-rate PR that will inevitably follow.

Credit to the clubs who voted against, including Palace.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
A ridiculous decision and dreadful PR for all concerned. Why they feel the need to contribute such a huge amount to someone who has been handsomely paid for doing his job is hard to comprehend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The simple solution is to insist that each club match their pledge with a contribution to a local charity. And allow the clubs to decide how much to donate.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I hope I'm bang wrong, but the only motivation I can think of for the likes of Buck, Barber and co, is that someone currently working as a highly-regarded CEO at a Prem club, think they might be siting in Scudamore's chair one day, and they are happy to set a precedent...

Maybe, but Scudamore was there for nearly 20 years, and that new doris has barely got her feet under his desk...so thats looking like being a VERY long-term punt to take.

Plus, I can't see PL TV deals hitting anything like the kind of upward curve they've had since 1999 under his watch (from 1.2bn in 2001 to 5.1bn in 2016). I think TV revenues have largely plateau'd out now (in fact they've decreased slightly), and whilst there'll be a new online market to exploit in the upcoming years to come, I don't think they'll be going up as steeply from the current deal as they have done.

Scudamore certainly hit the boom years and has feathered his nest accordingly. Whether Dinnage will benefit from that kind of impact remains to be seen, but I'm sure she'll do alright out of it.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I’m pretty sure from memory Paul Barber wasn’t actually at Brighton for your first season at the Amex.

He wasn't but that was why he came in - .i.e to control costs that had otherwise spiralled in our first season at Chateaux Amex. That was why, I couldn't believe PB would sign up to give a multi millionaire 250K.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
We've received a message from Paul Barber, and with his permission will post it here

"As is usual, several people have made me aware of the thread concerning Richard Scudamore’s remuneration on NSC.

To be clear, and to correct a number of inaccuracies currently being presented and discussed as “fact”:

- Richard Scudamore’s remuneration is determined by the Premier League’s board and audit committee - not by individual clubs or via a vote;

- as such, clubs were not required to vote to determine Richard Scudamore’s remuneration (or that of any other league executive);

- therefore it is not true that 5 clubs “abstained” from a vote that did not, and was not required to, take place;

- our club has not been asked “to write a cheque” or “to divert club funds” to pay for Richard Scudamore’s remuneration (or anyone else’s remuneration at the Premier League);

- by definition, the costs of the remuneration of the Premier League’s staff and executives are met from the league’s central costs (just like the EFL - and many other sporting organisations or governing bodies of a similar type);

- finally, our club’s budgets are determined by our own commercial revenue streams and also by the revenues we receive from the league (from TV rights, licensing, and sponsorship income). As is entirely normal each season, our share of the league’s revenues is paid to us taking in to account the league’s central costs.

The Premier League has now issued a statement on this subject - and it is not for our club to comment on the specific remuneration of individual Premier League executives (just as we wouldn’t comment on the specific remuneration of our own staff, executives, coaches or players).

We will however say - again - that Richard Scudamore has done an outstanding job for the Premier League - and for the Football League before that - for almost 20 years. All of us at this football club thank Richard for what he has done for football - at all levels - and we all wish him well for the future.

Please feel free to share the content of this email if it’s helpful to better inform people.

Thanks, Paul"

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Shame on Barber.

He has made the club I love and have supported for decades look more tinpot than Palace. And that takes some ****ing doing.

I read about the proposal and had a little to chuckle to myself thinking "we are never going to fall for that". But we did.

Think of all the penny-pinching by Barber over the years but then he he is happy to sling a quarter of a million to one of his multi-millionaire buddies. AITC, grassroots football or any local charity could work wonders with a quarter of a million quid.

Pathetic & shameful. A little piece of my love for the club has just died.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
We've received a message from Paul Barber, and with his permission will post it here

"As is usual, several people have made me aware of the thread concerning Richard Scudamore’s remuneration on NSC.

To be clear, and to correct a number of inaccuracies currently being presented and discussed as “fact”:

- Richard Scudamore’s remuneration is determined by the Premier League’s board and audit committee - not by individual clubs or via a vote;

- as such, clubs were not required to vote to determine Richard Scudamore’s remuneration (or that of any other league executive);

- therefore it is not true that 5 clubs “abstained” from a vote that did not, and was not required to, take place;

- our club has not been asked “to write a cheque” or “to divert club funds” to pay for Richard Scudamore’s remuneration (or anyone else’s remuneration at the Premier League);

- by definition, the costs of the remuneration of the Premier League’s staff and executives are met from the league’s central costs (just like the EFL - and many other sporting organisations or governing bodies of a similar type);

- finally, our club’s budgets are determined by our own commercial revenue streams and also by the revenues we receive from the league (from TV rights, licensing, and sponsorship income). As is entirely normal each season, our share of the league’s revenues is paid to us taking in to account the league’s central costs.

The Premier League has now issued a statement on this subject - and it is not for our club to comment on the specific remuneration of individual Premier League executives (just as we wouldn’t comment on the specific remuneration of our own staff, executives, coaches or players).

We will however say - again - that Richard Scudamore has done an outstanding job for the Premier League - and for the Football League before that - for almost 20 years. All of us at this football club thank Richard for what he has done for football - at all levels - and we all wish him well for the future.

Please feel free to share the content of this email if it’s helpful to better inform people.

Thanks, Paul"

So where does that missive deal with bunging Scudamore another quarter of a million quid from the club coffers?

The issue has nothing to do with his remuneration but with his "goodbye bung". I think what most of us here want to know is why Barber authorised the extra bung rather than donate to AITC et al.

Barber avoiding the issue? There's a surprise! Made us look more tinpot than Pace and that takes some ****ing doing. Barber should have had the balls to say "NO!!"

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

Thanks, Paul"
So basically this whole story is a load of old bollocks then.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

Thanks, Paul"

So in short there was no official vote and the money is from the PL coffers. However the press did not report a vote they said all 20 clubs endorsed the action at a meeting 'The payment was agreed to by the league’s audit and remuneration committee and endorsed by the 20 teams at the meeting'

This is the bit that has fans in uproar that this kind of millionaire back slapping is going on and being endorsed by their clubs. So was a club representative at this meeting or not and did they or did they not endorse the premier leagues decision to pay this money?

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch

Thanks, Paul"

Interesting that PB uses the term remuneration 6 times in his email in response to this thread when, a quick search, shows that not one poster had used the term to describe Scudamore’s retirement bonus.

Talk about swerve the subject.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Excellent rant, and I fully agree with you - but I'm not sure you can blame TB here. Wasn't it CEOs who met and voted on the motion? Even if PB had voted against (and it's a disgrace on the club that he didn't) once the motion was carried all 20 clubs have to pay up, whether or not TB (or for that matter Palace, Huddersfield, etc. too) likes it.

It's TB's money that has been thrown into the pot, so if he hasn't had to sanction such a thing then it's a dereliction of duty. He simply must have that much control over his own money that Barber can't just give £250k away without at least consulting. It's wouldn't have literally been a hat passed round and Barber had that moment to decide, he would have had ample opportunity to make a call and say "look boss, you know Dickie Dosh, yeah, Richie Rich, is finishing up at the PL, and switching over to a ludicrously lucrative Consultative role instead? Anyway, Buckster has said we should do something nice for him. LOL, no, not a card with us all scribbling messages inside. He was thinking we'd all chip in and give him a few quid as a send off. Erm, £250k. No, that's £250k each, so shall I give them a cheque maybe I'll transfer ....... ok, ok, ok but I'm not sticking it there myself."

We can all turn a blind eye, and not criticise TB for anything because of what he has done, but I think people are doing it because it's easier to be unhappy with Barber, than seem ungrateful by being critical of Bloom.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here