Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Richard Scudamore: Premier League clubs asked for £250,000 towards £5m bonus

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I thought we were better than that. Imagine what £250,000 could do for AITC. Shame on you Mr Barber. Justification definitely needed in this one.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Add to this that Scudamore is being kept on in a consulting capacity so will no doubt be paid handsomely for that as well

Sad day when even Palace show more class than us on this topic

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
yes, I would like some clarification from the club as to why we are paying this.

If they don't clarify it now it will get asked at the next fans forum I have no doubt

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If 5 clubs abstained who made up the difference?

If 15 clubs voted for it, isn't the motion then carried so that the 5 clubs who did the right thing have to cough up anyway? If only we'd been classy enough to join the five (I believe a 14 - 6 majority wouldn't have been enough?)

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
If 15 clubs voted for it, isn't the motion then carried so that the 5 clubs who did the right thing have to cough up anyway? If only we'd been classy enough to join the five (I believe a 14 - 6 majority wouldn't have been enough?)

Surely clubs can't be forced to pay it? SURELY?! Or are they going to start docking points?!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

At least 14 clubs needed to agree to it for it to be carried, so you'd have needed 7 against.

They had 5 against, we could've (should've) been the 6th, and maybe helped persuade someone else so that this whole grubby bung could've been binned off. I know everyone is calling Barber out on this (including me), but at the end of the day, Tony Bloom controls the purse strings.

Either way, the club need to come out and give their justification for it - although I very much doubt anything they say will placate the situation.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Surely clubs can't be forced to pay it? SURELY?! Or are they going to start docking points?!

I don't know, but I think I've read somewhere that if a motion is put to the vote, it requires a 15 -5 majority to carry the vote - in which case every club would have to pay up.

If that is the case, our disgrace is not that we're paying it, but that we didn't vote against it.

Edit: just seen Easy 10's post. Looks about right to me. :thumbsup:

The Optimist

NSC Patreon
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Absolute joke.

I normally hate whataboutism, because (especially where money is concerned) it's never as simple as money ringfenced for this thing should be spent on that thing instead.

But, in this case. That is 250,000 we are getting NOTHING for. If we can afford to toss a quarter of a million quid at a millionaire who's quitting his job, we can afford to toss a quarter of a million quid at REMF or local schools, or helping retired players or anything, literally ANYTHING else.

Couldn’t agree more.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Let's play a game of BARBER BINGO shall we? The response is GUARANTEED to contain the following:

- We understand the fans reaction
- How much we've benefited from the TV deal
- What a good person Richard is and what an incredible job he did to get the deal which nobody else could have
- How little £250,000 is in comparison to the benefits we've reaped.
- A patronising "I understand that, to the plebs in the stands, a quarter of a million pounds SOUNDS like a lot of money, but it isn't" comment.
- It was Tony's decision
- We would like to thank Richard

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
At least 14 clubs needed to agree to it for it to be carried, so you'd have needed 7 against.

They had 5 against, we could've (should've) been the 6th, and maybe helped persuade someone else so that this whole grubby bung could've been binned off. I know everyone is calling Barber out on this (including me), but at the end of the day, Tony Bloom controls the purse strings.

Either way, the club need to come out and give their justification for it - although I very much doubt anything they say will placate the situation.

Agreed. We can't just lay blame at Barber because we feel Bloom is above criticism. He's not, and I'm disgusted with us going along with this.

What WORLD are these people moving in that someone (Buck at Chelsea) can suggest such a thing and the rest of the room doesn't all shout "f*&^ off you brown nose". The list of things that could have been done with this money from AITC to REMF to a local homeless charity, or anything! You could make the donation "in the name of Scudamore" if you absolutely must, but just to have a whip-round of that scale is quite frankly disgusting.

All the money I've spent on this club in my life, going to about 1,000 games, buying countless programmes, shirts, memorabilia, etc, or just flat out making donations doesn't come close to £250k. So, everything financially I've ever put into this club over the years can just be given away in a moment when someone passes a hat around and asks for a whip-round for a multi-millionaire. That is what this game, and our club has come to. How can that not make my (financial) support for the Albion over nearly 40 years, feel utterly worthless?

We as fans are NOTHING to these clubs anymore, and sadly, our club is looking like it's no exception.

I'm so angry about this.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
We've only been in the Premier League since last August, which makes it even more of a joke from a Brighton point-of-view. It's like when you started a new job a month ago, and a leaving card comes round for some middle manager you haven't met, but you're expected to sign it and chuck in some change.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Agreed. We can't just lay blame at Barber because we feel Bloom is above criticism. He's not, and I'm disgusted with us going along with this.

What WORLD are these people moving in that someone (Buck at Chelsea) can suggest such a thing and the rest of the room doesn't all shout "f*&^ off you brown nose". The list of things that could have been done with this money from AITC to REMF to a local homeless charity, or anything! You could make the donation "in the name of Scudamore" if you absolutely must, but just to have a whip-round of that scale is quite frankly disgusting.

All the money I've spent on this club in my life, going to about 1,000 games, buying countless programmes, shirts, memorabilia, etc, or just flat out making donations doesn't come close to £250k. So, everything financially I've ever put into this club over the years can just be given away in a moment when someone passes a hat around and asks for a whip-round for a multi-millionaire. That is what this game, and our club has come to. How can that not make my (financial) support for the Albion over nearly 40 years, feel utterly worthless?

We as fans are NOTHING to these clubs anymore, and sadly, our club is looking like it's no exception.

I'm so angry about this.

Excellent rant, and I fully agree with you - but I'm not sure you can blame TB here. Wasn't it CEOs who met and voted on the motion? Even if PB had voted against (and it's a disgrace on the club that he didn't) once the motion was carried all 20 clubs have to pay up, whether or not TB (or for that matter Palace, Huddersfield, etc. too) likes it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I'm not 'calling Barber out on it'. I did write that I 'look forward to hearing Barber's justification for it' - but that is because Barber WILL undoubtedly be the one to have to explain it, on the club's behalf - just as he is the one to explain to us why it isn't 'commercially viable' to continue to provide 1901 members with the half-time hot drinks that they were promised at sign-up, or why the club NEEDS to charge a five year old £45 for a match ticket bought through the ticket exchange.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here