Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Richard Scudamore: Premier League clubs asked for £250,000 towards £5m bonus

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Interesting that PB uses the term remuneration 6 times in his email in response to this thread when, a quick search, shows that not one poster had used the term to describe Scudamore’s retirement bonus.

Talk about swerve the subject.

I think he simply HAS to be talking about the same thing.

If the bung / bonus thing actually is for real (and paid by the clubs), then Barber's message above ends any credibility he has with a lot of people. He's WAY too smart for that.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
- our club has not been asked “to write a cheque” or “to divert club funds” to pay for Richard Scudamore’s remuneration (or anyone else’s remuneration at the Premier League);

- by definition, the costs of the remuneration of the Premier League’s staff and executives are met from the league’s central costs (just like the EFL - and many other sporting organisations or governing bodies of a similar type)

This is the key point then. A % of the TV money and sponsorship revenues is routinely held by the PL to cover staff and executive costs, whilst the rest is then distributed to the clubs. That is the pool that they are "dipping into" in order to bung Scudamore his half mill.

He still doesn't deserve it IMO, its still distasteful. But if thats the case, I suppose its better than it actually being extracted from BHA and everyone else in the form of a contribution. This has been grossly misrepresented by the media, if thats how this is being done, even though ultimately, it IS still money that is going out of the game, being diverted away from the clubs, and directly into the pension pot of a handsomely "REMUNERATED" outgoing executive.

Still annoyed, but not as directly at BHA as I was.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
We've received a message from Paul Barber, and with his permission will post it here

"As is usual, several people have made me aware of the thread concerning Richard Scudamore’s remuneration on NSC.

To be clear, and to correct a number of inaccuracies currently being presented and discussed as “fact”:

- Richard Scudamore’s remuneration is determined by the Premier League’s board and audit committee - not by individual clubs or via a vote;

- as such, clubs were not required to vote to determine Richard Scudamore’s remuneration (or that of any other league executive);

- therefore it is not true that 5 clubs “abstained” from a vote that did not, and was not required to, take place;

- our club has not been asked “to write a cheque” or “to divert club funds” to pay for Richard Scudamore’s remuneration (or anyone else’s remuneration at the Premier League);

- by definition, the costs of the remuneration of the Premier League’s staff and executives are met from the league’s central costs (just like the EFL - and many other sporting organisations or governing bodies of a similar type);

- finally, our club’s budgets are determined by our own commercial revenue streams and also by the revenues we receive from the league (from TV rights, licensing, and sponsorship income). As is entirely normal each season, our share of the league’s revenues is paid to us taking in to account the league’s central costs.

The Premier League has now issued a statement on this subject - and it is not for our club to comment on the specific remuneration of individual Premier League executives (just as we wouldn’t comment on the specific remuneration of our own staff, executives, coaches or players).

We will however say - again - that Richard Scudamore has done an outstanding job for the Premier League - and for the Football League before that - for almost 20 years. All of us at this football club thank Richard for what he has done for football - at all levels - and we all wish him well for the future.

Please feel free to share the content of this email if it’s helpful to better inform people.

Thanks, Paul"

However you cut it, that is £5m that is being paid unnecessarily to someone who is already a multi-millionaire, while clubs down the ladder are going bust for far less, and football is outwardly trying to look like they are community facing and doing their bit for charity. According to this version of events no-one has refused or objected to this, so the "5" were just made up? Or maybe they at least voiced an objection, which is more than we appear to have done.

Finally "our club’s budgets are determined by our own commercial revenue streams and also by the revenues we receive from the league (from TV rights, licensing, and sponsorship income). As is entirely normal each season, our share of the league’s revenues is paid to us taking in to account the league’s central costs."

Therefore, revenue is paid to us less central costs, which have presumably increased by £5m as a result of this. That, spread across the 20 clubs, means each club has had an additional £250k of "central costs" deducted from their revenue as a result.

The over-riding sentiment of this seems to be far too similar to David Golds reaction where it's basically in favour of the payment, and trying to dismiss unhappy fans as troublemakers.

That's what our game has become.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Still annoyed, but not as directly at BHA as I was.

Still the same for me. Does this sound like we have disapproved of this gross waste of funds? Doesn't to me, this sounds like an attempt to justify it as all being perfectly reasonable behaviour in this mega money morally bankrupt World of football.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Still the same for me. Does this sound like we have disapproved of this gross waste of funds? Doesn't to me, this sounds like an attempt to justify it as all being perfectly reasonable behaviour in this mega money morally bankrupt World of football.

According to Barber, we weren't even asked. It wasn't put to a vote. Its just another bonus bung to a bloke who's been hoovering up bonuses up for nearly 20 years, and nothing was ever said about it back then. This only got all the attention because the media reported it in such a way as to suggest that we were actually stumping this up out of the BHA coffers (which would have been hugely offensive), but actually, its money that we've never had anyway, and if we believe Barber, don't have any say on.

The PL is a massive cashcow, and execs will always have their snouts in the trough. The fact that each club is NOT actually coughing up £250k each has really turned into a bit of a non-story now. If indeed that is the case.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
It appears Scudamore accepted the £5 mill payment, payable over 3 years.
However, the clubs were denied the chance to vote on the matter.
Seems strange .

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Finally "our club’s budgets are determined by our own commercial revenue streams and also by the revenues we receive from the league (from TV rights, licensing, and sponsorship income). As is entirely normal each season, our share of the league’s revenues is paid to us taking in to account the league’s central costs."

Therefore, revenue is paid to us less central costs, which have presumably increased by £5m as a result of this. That, spread across the 20 clubs, means each club has had an additional £250k of "central costs" deducted from their revenue as a result.

The argument will be that under Scudamore's watch over thew last 20 years, the TV deals have increased almost 5-fold, from 1.2bn to 5.1bn. Clubs are receiving more money than ever before thanks to that. Not enough of that is filtering down of course, thats long been the argument and its absolutely true. That £5m for him is still a massive PR own goal, because we can all think of any number of causes where that money could be diverted.

But its nothing new. What WAS new was the notion that we were directly paying into it ourselves - which we're not. It still stinks, but as far as BHA are concerned, I'm getting back in my box (which I'm sure they'll be SO relieved at).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It appears Scudamore accepted the £5 mill payment, payable over 3 years.
However, the clubs were denied the chance to vote on the matter.
Seems strange .

Doesn't sound like every salary and bonus payment for the execs is put to the 20 clubs to vote on. The PL board of directors sort all that out (and no doubt look after themselves very handsomely).

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
We've received a message from Paul Barber, and with his permission will post it here

"As is usual, several people have made me aware of the thread concerning Richard Scudamore’s remuneration on NSC.

To be clear, and to correct a number of inaccuracies currently being presented and discussed as “fact”:

- Richard Scudamore’s remuneration is determined by the Premier League’s board and audit committee - not by individual clubs or via a vote;

- as such, clubs were not required to vote to determine Richard Scudamore’s remuneration (or that of any other league executive);

- therefore it is not true that 5 clubs “abstained” from a vote that did not, and was not required to, take place;

- by definition, the costs of the remuneration of the Premier League’s staff and executives are met from the league’s central costs (just like the EFL - and many other sporting organisations or governing bodies of a similar type);

- finally, our club’s budgets are determined by our own commercial revenue streams and also by the revenues we receive from the league (from TV rights, licensing, and sponsorship income). As is entirely normal each season, our share of the league’s revenues is paid to us taking in to account the league’s central costs.

The Premier League has now issued a statement on this subject - and it is not for our club to comment on the specific remuneration of individual Premier League executives (just as we wouldn’t comment on the specific remuneration of our own staff, executives, coaches or players).

We will however say - again - that Richard Scudamore has done an outstanding job for the Premier League - and for the Football League before that - for almost 20 years. All of us at this football club thank Richard for what he has done for football - at all levels - and we all wish him well for the future.

Please feel free to share the content of this email if it’s helpful to better inform people.

Thanks, Paul"

Blimey, that was hard work getting through that lot. Why can't people write in simple terms?

Would it be the case that PS has been paid indirectly by the clubs, but his £5mill 'renumeration' coming out of a central PL pot? Therefore, £250k that was due to go to each of the 20 PL clubs is instead diverted into a pot that pays his £5m over the next three years?

It's this bit that gets me: 'our club has not been asked “to write a cheque” or “to divert club funds” to pay for Richard Scudamore’s remuneration'. You can't be asked to pay for something if you never had the money in the first place...

As I said before, I think the whole thing is ridiculous. If they wanted to give him a 'golden goodbye', then put it into his contract. As it happens he is staying on in an advisory role, so he's it's not even a LEAVING gift!

Whatever way you look at this, it's been handled terribly from a communications point of view.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's TB's money that has been thrown into the pot, so if he hasn't had to sanction such a thing then it's a dereliction of duty. He simply must have that much control over his own money that Barber can't just give £250k away without at least consulting. It's wouldn't have literally been a hat passed round and Barber had that moment to decide, he would have had ample opportunity to make a call and say "look boss, you know Dickie Dosh, yeah, Richie Rich, is finishing up at the PL, and switching over to a ludicrously lucrative Consultative role instead? Anyway, Buckster has said we should do something nice for him. LOL, no, not a card with us all scribbling messages inside. He was thinking we'd all chip in and give him a few quid as a send off. Erm, £250k. No, that's £250k each, so shall I give them a cheque maybe I'll transfer ....... ok, ok, ok but I'm not sticking it there myself."

We can all turn a blind eye, and not criticise TB for anything because of what he has done, but I think people are doing it because it's easier to be unhappy with Barber, than seem ungrateful by being critical of Bloom.
It appears to be a PL decision, endorsed by the clubs, which we (and therefore by implication, TB) has to pay. The cost has been levied, we pay. Barber should certainly have been one of the dissenting voices, and as far as day to day finances, I dare say TB delegates to PB (quite correctly) so was quite possibly not consulted on this anyway.

Anyway, as far as Barber's statement goes, I've heard more convincing responses from Richard Nixon.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I think he simply HAS to be talking about the same thing.

If the bung / bonus thing actually is for real (and paid by the clubs), then Barber's message above ends any credibility he has with a lot of people. He's WAY too smart for that.

But a donation towards a retirement gift simply isn’t remuneration by any stretch of the definition.

“Remuneration is considered the pay or other compensation provided in exchange for the services performed; not to be confused with giving (away), or donating, or the act of providing to.”

Best Foot Forward

Apr 29, 2008
Burgess Hill
So effectively an equal £250k per club (however you present it). Funny how the "big 6" want a greater share of TV right money, but are happy to equally divide this pot. The amount is irrelevant, it is the principle which is wrong

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
So did we cough £250k in the whip-round for his leaving present or not?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
All of you flaming Barber..........do you think, for a second, that this wouldn’t have been discussed with and approved by TB ? Seriously?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
BBC News have just reported it as The Premier League Clubs have "agreed" but some smaller clubs are unhappy.

If Paul is reading this, how accurate is that report ?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here