Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Richard Scudamore: Premier League clubs asked for £250,000 towards £5m bonus

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
I don't begrudge him getting a golden handshake. We'd all love to be in that position but the Premier League authority themselves should be paying it if they think he deserves it.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
This really must not happen. Is there a petition or anything to send Barber? The thought of £250,000 of the clubs money going out of football into an individuals bank account is outrageous.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Based on the money he has brought into the Premier League (and his own salary), I’m not that concerned with the amount.

But why a gift? That’s not a bonus, bonuses should be pre-agreed and linked with performance; this guy is leaving! And why ask all teams to contribute and why make it public? Surely if teams have to pay, they should pay pro-rata of how much money they made during his 19 year reign (that should put our bill down to about £2,500).

I’m with the leaving card (signed by all the Premier League club’s chairman) and a £5 idea!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
If you are going to give him a golden goodbye this is the wrong way to go about it

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I get the argument that RS was paid less than he could have commanded given the extortionate rise in football TV rights but his argument for better bonus / pay rise should have been had 5 years ago, not as some sort of whip round when he leaves. The very notion that everyone will chuck in 250k like they've found it down the back of the sofa shows how far football has eaten itself and how little the likes of Bruce Buck take in outside their own bubble.

As for us, Paul Barber has an excellent grip on BHAFC finances ever since the 1st season at the Amex. I'd be absolutely flabbergasted if he even considered it. We probably wouldn't have put in 2 hundred and fifty quid.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
Nah. Cannot be having the "he could have got more in the private sector" bollox. This is the private sector! He had his choices! Think Grass Roots Football and this thread is complete. Save for the fact that we should be demanding a statement from Barber or Tony today that we will not be contributing.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Oh, honestly. It's only £250k per club. He has negotiated huge rewards from TV rights which incidentally benefited Albion enormously. There's really no need for all this bedwetting. And I can't stand people who only put a fiver in leavers collections - surely it's a tenner now or don't bother!

That's, like, his JOB. A job he's already been paid for! If it was in his contract or as part of a target-based incentive, then fair enough, but just giving him and extra £5 million for the hell of it? Not for me (Clive).

It's not really 'bedwetting', it's calling out the fact that a shed load more money would be going to someone who has done very well out of the business he operates in and will no doubt continue to in the years to come.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
That's, like, his JOB. A job he's already been paid for! If it was in his contract or as part of a target-based incentive, then fair enough, but just giving him and extra £5 million for the hell of it? Not for me (Clive).

It's not really 'bedwetting', it's calling out the fact that a shed load more money would be going to someone who has done very well out of the business he operates in and will no doubt continue to in the years to come.

If you disagree with anything you are accused of being a bedwetter, which is pretty tiresome tbh

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Cardiff have come out in favour of it. And they're only going to be in the PL for a few weeks.

Bonkers.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Wolves and Fulham against this, how ungrateful, maybe they should have stayed in the Championship with little exposure outside of the UK and turnover about 10% of what they will likely have this season.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Scudamore won't need the cash when he is the CEO of the new European SuperDuper League, and negotiating a megabucks deal with some obscure Web Channel that means that no one will actually be able to watch it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Scudamore won't need the cash when he is the CEO of the new European SuperDuper League, and negotiating a megabucks deal with some obscure Web Channel that means that no one will actually be able to watch it.

Nobody would want to anyway.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Oh, honestly. It's only £250k per club. He has negotiated huge rewards from TV rights which incidentally benefited Albion enormously. There's really no need for all this bedwetting. And I can't stand people who only put a fiver in leavers collections - surely it's a tenner now or don't bother!

That's a bit casual, "only £250K". Tell that to us ten years ago. Or any other pro club outside the top 2 leagues. Or any Sunday league club. Or any council in the country that maintains football pitches for the public.

People who for their birthday ask for donations to a favourite charity, or funeral notices that say 'don't send flowers, give money to the hospital' are requests we can all get behind, but asking for a multi-millionaire to be given more millions just because he's leaving his job? Do me a favour.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Presumably Palace contributed their traditional penny in the pound so £2,500.

To be fair, one Palace fan did reply to that saying they hadn't got a quid let alone £250K

I did say apparently because I don't know if the above is 100% true and I've been getting into trouble on the B*** thread.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here