Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Parakeets in the Park

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Bournemouth has loads flying around the chimes and last summer I saw a couple of parakeets flying around Worthing

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Yep see them round here.

Often chasing other birds from the trees.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
There are still Parakeets in Hollingbury Woods where the allotments are. They survived the 1987 storm

Yes that is true. I used to see them in Hollinbury woods, the golf course and in Stanmer Park. The colony survived the 1987 storm but seemed to disappear fairly soon afterwards. Last summer I had a single parakeet in my garden in Hollingbury for two days.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Yes that is true. I used to see them in Hollinbury woods, the golf course and in Stanmer Park. The colony survived the 1987 storm but seemed to disappear fairly soon afterwards. Last summer I had a single parakeet in my garden in Hollingbury for two days.

I thought they were still around Roedale, but maybe not. They look and sound cute, but can be very destructive, perhaps your garden guest was the last one

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
I work in Merstham and they are in the trees by the railway lines, fair few of them too

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Quite often see them in the trees around Limehouse and Canary Wharf now. They are all over the North Downs around Dorking too. Definitely spreading from what I think was their original base around Hampton Court.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Not Preston Park sadly.

I was in London yesterday and walking back to Victoria I stopped by St James's Park.
Some old blokes were feeding monkey nuts to the squirrels. I heard the familiar squeak of Parakeets.
About 6 were in the trees and 2 or 3 swooped down to take some nuts. One sat on the railings to eat, but a big fat pigeon flew down and started pushing the parakeet about. I thought 'Ooooh nooooo, poor little thing' just as it viciously sank its parrot beak into the pigeon's throat .... no wonder they've survived here!

we had a plumber at work who had a cockatoo that used to sit on his trolley......i was talking to him one day , the plumber that is ;
"is he tame "
"yeah pretty tame mate but just don't look him in the eye for too long and don't laugh if he says anything"
"squuaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrkkkkkkkkk"
"ha , ha , ha "

****er nearly took my finger off.....still got the scar....!!

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I'd like them to come to Sussex but I don't know what kind of threat that would pose to indigenous bird species.

I'm also waiting for the time when red kites properly colonise my neck of the woods. Fantastic birds.
i Believe Parakeets may be in Hurstpierpoint they are spreading around London.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Quite often see them in the trees around Limehouse and Canary Wharf now. They are all over the North Downs around Dorking too. Definitely spreading from what I think was their original base around Hampton Court.

Regents Park.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here